Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CS033RA or CS033RB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default CS033RA or CS033RB?

I'm looking to install some new leaf springs on the back of my 90 4 door. I'm currently at 5" at all four corners and want to stay there. I have rock sliders, plan on a set of factory skid plates (when I find a set), and am in process of building a rear bumper with tire carrier for my 33" spare (estimated weight of 125 lbs). I plan to use the relocation brackets and extended shackles I currently have. I'm thinking 3" springs should get me there. From what I have read online, the OME springs are about the best ride I can find for the XJ. Should I go with the CS033RA or CS033RB? What is the difference? According to ARB's literature, the CS033RAs are good for 2.5-4" while the CS033RBs are good for 2.5-3". They are both rated as a medium duty spring. I'm having trouble finding data on spring rates. My planned use for the Jeep is mild trails, mostly DD, and hauling the family on a vacation. Intended load is no more than 200-300lbs of cargo and 2 adults and 2 small children.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I'm looking to install some new leaf springs on the back of my 90 4 door. I'm currently at 5" at all four corners and want to stay there. I have rock sliders, plan on a set of factory skid plates (when I find a set), and am in process of building a rear bumper with tire carrier for my 33" spare (estimated weight of 125 lbs). I plan to use the relocation brackets and extended shackles I currently have. I'm thinking 3" springs should get me there. From what I have read online, the OME springs are about the best ride I can find for the XJ. Should I go with the CS033RA or CS033RB? What is the difference? According to ARB's literature, the CS033RAs are good for 2.5-4" while the CS033RBs are good for 2.5-3". They are both rated as a medium duty spring. I'm having trouble finding data on spring rates. My planned use for the Jeep is mild trails, mostly DD, and hauling the family on a vacation. Intended load is no more than 200-300lbs of cargo and 2 adults and 2 small children.
OME has this weird thing where the A spring is for one side of the vehicle and the B spring is for the other side (Installed that way for a friend's TJ). I didn't buy into that, so needless to say, I got both CS033RA springs for my XJ. Theyre stiff but not harsh. They ride absolutely silky smooth when I load the Jeep up for a trip. With those springs and JKS 1" lift shackles, I'm at about 4.5" settled lift height with a JCR rear bumper (no tire/carrier)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

OME lists the ra at 4.5" full pack, 3.5" with one leaf removed

rb 3.5" full pack, 2.5" one leaf removed

I believe the ride will be harsher with full leaf packs, unless you have it loaded down.

Last edited by mikesignal; 02-20-2017 at 11:58 AM.