Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy curiosity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Crazy curiosity?

OK... I'm going to ask a question that I probably already know the answer to but I am really curious about whether it would actually work or not.

My Wife and I go way out in the sticks a lot. Sometimes 40 miles from civilization or phone service. So I try to take every precaution I can to make sure we don't get stuck out there and I can make it run again if needed.

Back in the day of carburetor motors with electronic ignition I always carried a drop in point type distributor with a jumper to the battery in case the distributor or ignition control system failed for positive mechanical stand alone spark to get me out. (later with an "igniter" point replacement installed.)

So my question would be, Would the fuel squirters still squirt on these? or do they absolutely need the cam sensor to control and maintain the fuel injection? I know it might be a stupid question, but I don't know enough about these particular systems and was curious if the injectors still squirt if the cam sensor or control signal is bad?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

unplug and crank it over a lot. pull a spark plug.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by s346k
unplug and crank it over a lot. pull a spark plug.
Wet plugs would indicate fuel, but are they squirting in good enough timing to at least run? even if it didn't run well, just run? Are they reading the crank sensor for timing control or the cam sensor?

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 10-16-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

As far as I know, the injectors operate from the crank position sensor, the spark from the cam position sensor. So, in theory I think you may be able to do this. Try at home first though. Gonna throw a CEL for sure
Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
As far as I know, the injectors operate from the crank position sensor, the spark from the cam position sensor. So, in theory I think you may be able to do this. Try at home first though. Gonna throw a CEL for sure
"Try this at home first" lol... Absolutely! It would be real handy to know if it will work or not. I am hoping you are right. I'm hoping they are separate. It would be great if an older distributor could be dropped in for a positive spark "get you home" option. Advance of course would be mechanical for the ignition timing and would probably be good enough to get home.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

So much for having coil rail! Hopefully when the SHTF I'll have access to my Bronco!

...I do at least carry an extra CPS. But, in the event of an EMP...blah blah blah. LOL
Old 10-16-2017, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tbone289
So much for having coil rail! Hopefully when the SHTF I'll have access to my Bronco!

...I do at least carry an extra CPS. But, in the event of an EMP...blah blah blah. LOL
Lol... That's why the Bugout Bug is still around... The EMP possibility.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

If the only problem is the distributor then it should work. The fuel injection would still need the ECU to function before it would squirt fuel, but to even spin the starter you need battery power which will make that function. I believe I saw on here once before that someone replaced the distributor with a magneto and it works on fuel injection, but I can't be certain how it worked.

On my 85 the computer died and it wouldn't start, but jumping the wire from the distributor directly to the ignition module bypassing the computer it runs just fine. But it is carbed so less complicated computer for certain.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jedijeb
If the only problem is the distributor then it should work. The fuel injection would still need the ECU to function before it would squirt fuel, but to even spin the starter you need battery power which will make that function. I believe I saw on here once before that someone replaced the distributor with a magneto and it works on fuel injection, but I can't be certain how it worked.

On my 85 the computer died and it wouldn't start, but jumping the wire from the distributor directly to the ignition module bypassing the computer it runs just fine. But it is carbed so less complicated computer for certain.
Thank you... It would be cool to find out it can be done as a back up. I have been known to put a gas can on the roof and regulate flow with a pair of vice grips on a fuel hose dripping down into the intake to get home. But if the fuel system would still work it would indeed save some trouble with the fuel issue.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Thank you... It would be cool to find out it can be done as a back up. I have been known to put a gas can on the roof and regulate flow with a pair of vice grips on a fuel hose dripping down into the intake to get home. But if the fuel system would still work it would indeed save some trouble with the fuel issue.
Your last name would't be MacGuyver would it?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Your last name would't be MacGuyver would it?
Lol. Necessity is the mother of invention. I'm from the days before cell phones and had to do whatever it takes to get back out. Even now with cell service, call your roadside service insurance carrier and tell them you are 20-30 miles out off any main road in the dirt and you will find that the tow companies will not come out. In the desert here it is a matter of life or death survival, people die out here all the time because they broke down in the sticks. Besides... I'm getting too old to be hiking back out 30 miles. lol
Old 10-19-2017, 04:32 PM

Well I guess it is better than putting some gas in a spray bottle and having a friend sit on the radiator with the hood up spraying gas into the carb to keep the engine running as you drive down the road. Don't ask how I know that works.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:02 AM
CF Veteran

Well I guess it is better than putting some gas in a spray bottle and having a friend sit on the radiator with the hood up spraying gas into the carb to keep the engine running as you drive down the road. Don't ask how I know that works.
Or removing the hood and having him sit on the passenger fender pouring it in with a beer can. lol
Old 10-21-2017, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

have you gotten anywhere with your inquiry? you're banned from posting bugout bug pics until we see results.

ok ill be honest, the bug is far more interesting than random information regarding fuel injector function.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by s346k
have you gotten anywhere with your inquiry? you're banned from posting bugout bug pics until we see results.

ok ill be honest, the bug is far more interesting than random information regarding fuel injector function.
Well I got one confirmation that the crank sensor controls the fuel timing separate and independently. So I am just going to have to test it to make sure. Hopefully I can get caught up to get the engine back together. Then I will unplug the cam sensor, pull the fuel rail and injectors out, and then turn it over to see if the injectors are squirting in time as they should be.

Yeah the Bug is pretty cool. I only added it because there are no EMP issues because there are no electronics. Points and bug spray carb.

They do real good off road as you know, but you can't gear down and crawl over stuff like you can with a jeep. You have to work the heck out of the clutch which is hard on it of course, or get a run at things and bounce your way up. lol

One thing I do like about these though, is that unlike most four wheel drives, they can cross terrain at an "angle" much better because of the independent suspension and travel they have. And they ride REAL nice off road, they don't even feel washboard at all when they are set up right.

This one is simple with a type one single port and only one carb so it's pretty dependable. When we first got it we drove it in the desert around here for a couple weeks and I thought the fuel gauge was broken. Finally it moved, gauge was fine... It just wasn't using near as much fuel as I thought it should have.

But... we can't sleep in it and why I like the XJ.