Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crap... too much lift...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Wheel, break, fix, repeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC I6 4.0
Default Crap... too much lift...

My first attempt at a junkyard lift and this is what I ended up with.

I was going for approx 4.5 inch lift and ended up with around 7! I used spring packs from a mid-90's Dodge Dakota and my XJ main spring (I am NOT using the thick bottom spring). I also have a 1.5 inch shackle installed. I measured from the middle of my rim to the bottom of my fender flare and both sides are right at 24 inches. I never measured the starting height because when I got the jeep the rear springs were already somewhat inverted, but here is a pic, albeit grainy, but it's a reference none-the-less.

I would guess the starting height was around 15 inches. My first step is going to be to remove the 1.5 inch shackle and replace with stock shackle bringing her down to 5.5 inches. My worry is that I already bought new 4.5 inch BDS shocks. If I replace the shackles, will the shocks be long enough? I was planning on getting the 4.5 inch coil springs for the front. Will they be too small? I don't want her looking like a dragster with a ton of rake. How much do you think the rear will settle? As for a new brake line; I was going to pick up a YJ line, will it be long enough?

Last question. Shim. 4 degrees? 6 degrees? What do you recommend. I've been leaning towards a 4 degree shim. I have a SYE and will be using a front drive shaft.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

First off, the jeep springs will probably settle down an inch. I'd put the old shackles on then add the 4.5" coils with a 1" spacer and make bar pin eliminates to use the shocks. Second, I'd pan on doing a sye and driveshaft. Probably use like 6* shims to angle the axle yoke toward the tc, but you would have to measure to make sure. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L HO

for the shocks, you could cut the mounts from the rear axle and replace with these...http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=90&gr=
Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Wheel, break, fix, repeat

Year: 1987
Engine: AMC I6 4.0

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
First off, the jeep springs will probably settle down an inch. I'd put the old shackles on then add the 4.5" coils with a 1" spacer and make bar pin eliminates to use the shocks. Second, I'd pan on doing a sye and driveshaft. Probably use like 6* shims to angle the axle yoke toward the tc, but you would have to measure to make sure. Good luck!
I forgot about the spacer option, DUHHHH!!! I already have an SYE installed and a front driveshaft ready to go. I'm going to wait on the shims until I get the height correct. Thank you!

Originally Posted by RenegadeT
for the shocks, you could cut the mounts from the rear axle and replace with these...http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=90&gr=
Didn't know these existed! Awesome idea! Thanks!