Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

correcting rear lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default correcting rear lift

I've been reading on here and trying to decide what the best way to replace my add a leaf lift and fix my rough ride is and I'm still lost. I have a 3" rusty's kit with add a leafs. They aren't sagging or anything but, my shackles are straight up and down and the ride is horrible (the front rides great). I can't just throw a shackle relocation on it because the back already sits higher than the front and they all seem to lift the back another inch or so. What I'm getting at is that if I buy a full 3" pack to replace my add a leafs won't my shackle angle still be the same? I'm thinking that maybe 2 1/2" lift springs and a shackle relocation kit would put it right around 3 1/2" with correct angles and that would be ideal. I'd like to know if anyone has expirience with that set up or with a 3-3 1/2" pack that for whatever reason doesn't ruin the shackle angle like my add a leafs did. I don't want to go more than 3 1/2" inches (it's about 4 right now) and I want to do it correctly this time. Thanks for any help you can give me. I wish I'd spent more time reading before trying to save a few bucks the first time.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4

I would look into a full leaf pack and good rear shocks. As for the angles I thought you want the shackles to angle back a little. I am also suprised you have 4" of lift with an add a leaf.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:53 AM

Based on the measurement that 17" from center of the hub to the bottom of the stock fender flair is stock, I end up just a touch shy of 4" of lift and it's been on there for about 8 months or so. I kept waiting for it to settle down. It just never did. I intend to buy new full packs. I'm just not sure if they will cause the same shackle angle. If they do, then I'm still going to be riding pretty rough.