Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling system problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6 4.0 L
Default cooling system problems

Ok I have a 1999 XJ and I have been having problems with my cooling system it runs hot after about 30 to 45 minutes I'm driving but not hard enough for it to be considered over over heating if you know what I mean it gets to about to 15 and then the fan kicks on and it goes back down I've changed the thermostat water pump radiator all the cooling hoses the fan clutch everything I've had the oil checked for coolant and there's no coolant in the oil or vice versa so I don't know where to go next if its just running hot is normal or if I should check something else I know that the heat hasn't worked since I've had the car so I don't know if the heater core could cause overheating problem like that but I don't know where else to turn
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Big D Squared
Ok I have a 1999 XJ and I have been having problems with my cooling system it runs hot after about 30 to 45 minutes I'm driving but not hard enough for it to be considered over over heating if you know what I mean it gets to about to 15 and then the fan kicks on and it goes back down I've changed the thermostat water pump radiator all the cooling hoses the fan clutch everything I've had the oil checked for coolant and there's no coolant in the oil or vice versa so I don't know where to go next if its just running hot is normal or if I should check something else I know that the heat hasn't worked since I've had the car so I don't know if the heater core could cause overheating problem like that but I don't know where else to turn
Well you've done all the key stuff, is it going in the red or stopping at 215?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Well you've done all the key stuff, is it going in the red or stopping at 215?
Stopping when the e fan turns on
Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 PM

Stopping when the e fan turns on
Sorry, I missed the note about the heater core. If the heat doesn't work that is likely the culprit. You should be able to switch to heat and watch the temp drop. I would swap the core, means another coolant flush but that's not the end of the world.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Sorry, I missed the note about the heater core. If the heat doesn't work that is likely the culprit. You should be able to switch to heat and watch the temp drop. I would swap the core, means another coolant flush but that's not the end of the world.
So if I turn on the heater now should my temperature drop when its over 210 is that what you're saying
Old 04-27-2015, 09:07 PM

So if I turn on the heater now should my temperature drop when its over 210 is that what you're saying
Well 210 ish is not to high for a Cherokee, that's basically where mine runs. But yes, if the heater core is working and you over heat, you can turn the heat wide open and it sort of acts like a second radiator and brings the temp down. I'm not suggesting that as a regular feature, it's just how the system works. If you have no heat, it's likely a plugged up core, the same crud that was in your old radiator is in there too.