Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling my engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default cooling my engine

I have a 1989 jeep Comanche 4.0 liter. When ever i drive for more than a hour my comanche starts to get so hot on the inside from the engine heat that i start to sweat. I don't mind it at all its just I plan on making a 6 hour trip to Florida and I don't want to break down half way there. The trip is not till this summer. What can i do to make my engine cooler? I heard if I get a radiator from a 1991 jeep cherokee that is a open cooling system will help. Is this true? Also people told be me making air vents on the hood will also help a lot. Before i start cutting holes i want to make sure its worth it! Please help thank you all! If yall can put up pictures of ideas!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

open cooling system, bigger radiator, remove your mechanical fan and get a aftermarket high CFM rating 10 or 12 inch fans to move more air and the hood vents help a lot at low speeds. but a full cooling system flush and back flush will help alot. i had a 89 XJ and converted it to open, in my opinion it just makes it easier to maintain, and when i flushed my system it helped the system so much. don't forget the heater core to flushed and back flushed and do the flushing 2-3 times over a 4-6 week period to make sure you get all the junk that may be in there
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

Do you still have the carpet and pad in it? If it's not there you'll get a lot of heat from the engine and trans thru the floor and trans tunnel.
I don't see how elect. fans or hood vents would have much impact on interior temps while driving at speed.
On my old chevy truck I put in a sliding camper window and that let a lot more air thru the cab.

Last edited by mike mike; 01-22-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Yeah i mean its not the heat thats bothering me when i open the window it cools my tiny cab with ease. But i just dont want to got on this trip and bloww up my engine. Also where can i find this aftermath radiator fan? How much will it be?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

Originally Posted by docmedpros
open cooling system, bigger radiator, remove your mechanical fan and get a aftermarket high CFM rating 10 or 12 inch fans to move more air and the hood vents help a lot at low speeds. but a full cooling system flush and back flush will help alot. i had a 89 XJ and converted it to open, in my opinion it just makes it easier to maintain, and when i flushed my system it helped the system so much. don't forget the heater core to flushed and back flushed and do the flushing 2-3 times over a 4-6 week period to make sure you get all the junk that may be in there
Good stuff right here. The cooling system is crucial for proper engine operation. Always keep things flushed out to ensure safe operating temperature.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM

How do i flush the system?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM

pull the hoses from the thermostat that go to the heater core and flush in one hose until all "gunk" is cleaned out then back flush ie put water in the opposite hose to flush in the opposite direction. then do the same at the radiator start at the top hose and flush with hose with bottom hose disconnected and then back flush. after that flush out where thermostat housing is and water pump assembly. do this until water is clear going both ways. then pre-fill radiator and thermostat area with antifreeze as to eliminate as many bubbles as possible. then burp your system if it's still closed. if you are going to open just use the search bar at the top to look for a how too. once you are done with that, you can pick up a 10inch dual bearing fan at AA(Advanced Auto Parts) i would try to get two or three and i have mine from dirtbound offroad but it was a pretty pretty for it like 250ish i think and they are rigged to 2 switches one I run all the time that's in line with the radiator and after market tranny cooler, and the other two when she starts peaking 210 in traffic. as for cheap hood vents i literally said **** it and cut slot into my hood and added spacers to bolts that attach the hinges to allow some space between the hood and cowl area to help dissipate the heat some more. all these things help alot. but my interior still gets warm but i'm doorless for this reason(plus looks) and i drove my jeep from Miami to San Antonio no problems, she ran a lil hot when i hit houston traffic but that's when the fans on the 2nd switch helped drastically. also check your radiator fins to make sure they are straight as possible if you aren't going to replace your radiator. and with flush like i said before do it several times over a few weeks, it's a PITA but well worth the time to make sure your cooling system is working at peak performance. and you can put in a lower temp thermostat to help with interior heat. this is a minimal difference. if you need any help PM me bro I hope everything works out
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 AM

Okay awesome so I hooked up the open system radiator with overflow tank, and an aftermarket 10inch fan and it is all looking awesome. Two more things I need to finish though. First where should i hook up the fan and how? Its electrical so where should i hook it up to? Also I still got the old tank in there from the closed system. The people at auto zone said it would actually be smart to leave it in so it could hold more fluid. should I take it out and bypass it or leave it in? thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM

remove the old tank, put the fan whereever you want. just can wire it into the original electrical fan plug or just wire it to a switch and put that in the cab on the dash whereever you want. this is just preference. if you can get another 10inch fan, so you can have one running constantly after initial warm up and the have the 2nd on another switch to run when it starts getting warmer than you want. Keep us updated and upload some pics
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 AM

aight so i got the open cooling radiator in there with overflow tank and a 10inch fan in the middle. What im going to do next is get two eight inch fans on the left and right of radiator that will be hooked up to the plug from eletric radiator
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM

sounding good
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

i didn't read anywhere on here that his jeep is actually overheating...you guys don't even know what his engine temp is!!

why do you guys have him converting to open system? why are you telling him to do a flush? i flushed my heater core and block last month and got MORE heat into my cab. operating temp is operating temp. maybe hes got a blend door issue, or heater control valve issue...just sayin. i would hate for all this work when his system is actually working properly...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

So what is the gauge temp say on the cluster... Is it to hot for you or is the jeep itself over heating? 2nd if your 2 hot check the vac lines for the blend doors and make sure the insulation is still under the dash pad I had a jeep with no insulation under the dash and it was hot as hell
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM

well i flushed and converted and no longer over heating so that fixed it haha my comanche dosent have a gage on the dashboard but it just a light dosent tell me the temperature. eather way that fixed it and it is running great now i love it
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM

if you read what he said, he doesn't care too much about interior heat as he can put the window down, he wanted to make his XJ more reliable on his to FL where heat is a major ***** with our Jeeps. I lived I know. So I gave him advice on how to make sure his vehicle had no hiccups on his 6 hour drive southbound

Quick Reply: cooling my engine