Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default coolant

Ive noticed allot of people talk about ways to keep your xj cooler. I was wondering what brands of coolant people are using. The reason for this is i recently replace my waterpump, thermostate and housing, and my radiator. I didnt buy anything special, just napa parts. The only thing that was dramatically changed was the type of coolant i used. I work for mazda so i used what we had here. Now the type i used is a vehichle specific coolant, its for later model Tributes/Escape and B series/Ranger trucks. With this coolant in my xj it stays conciderably cooler. I can trail with my a/c on and it barely get to the half way point. Around town or in traffic i stay around the 1/4 mark with the a/c on. If anyone is haveing problems with cooling i would suggest trying this coolant.

Premium gold is what its called. This has a bittering agent in it. It has a protectant in it for the metals. It helps prevent rust and corrosion. I noticed when i flushed out the xj there were some rust particals and other gunk that this coolant helps protect against. It is a little more on the expensive side like 30 bucks for a gallon but its well worth it.

Hope this helps someone out, its worked beautifully for me.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

There are only two macufacturers of antifreeze in the world... the rest buy it and stick there name tag on it... so it doesn't make a dang which one you run... chances are they will be the same thing... $10 Autozone brand for me... lol
Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 AM

well there are different types of coolant. this is a different type. you can see it and feel the difference it in. it has a thickness to to that coats the inside to protect against any damage. I know green coolant is all the same, this isnt the same old auto zone crap.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 AM
MJ>XJ

Originally Posted by lostjosh
well there are different types of coolant. this is a different type. you can see it and feel the difference it in. it has a thickness to to that coats the inside to protect against any damage. I know green coolant is all the same, this isnt the same old auto zone crap.
Its made by the same company that's makes the same old green Autozone stuff...
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM

ok, my point is the style of coolant not the brand.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 AM
MJ>XJ

No u werent... read your second sentence man...
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM

Well il try it out. Can u get it at a local parts store?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 PM

ok maaaaann..... Its a thread dont get that mad. i didnt insult anyone so chill out.

Im sure there is a generic brand of it thats not from mazda, thats what i had at the time so i used it. Prestone makes something close its in a gold bottle it says extended life antifreeze coolant. Im not sure if there are the same additives but you can normally get additives that help protect against rust or corrosion.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:49 PM
MJ>XJ

Never said anything in a mad way...
Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

I use whatever is cheapest. But then I do a yearly complete flush and fill of all fluids, Trans, TC, Brakes, Differential and Coolant. This is in addition to the min 2x year Trans fluid change, before and after off-roading season. I do wheel year round, but much more in the summer. Oil gets changed every 3 months or 2000 miles
Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM

Year: 1992 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

My radiator just recently started leaking,and I noticed when I bought the jeep that the resevior was empty is this bad? I want to buy a metal radiator for it and whats the best coolant to use?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 L, 242 CID

[QUOTE=lostjosh;922027]ok maaaaann..... Its a thread dont get that mad. i didnt insult anyone so chill out.

eeeewwh boy. i find this SO frustrating. why people feel the need to ridicule or belittle others in a forum is beyond me. i myself recently have asked a few questions regarding cooling and temp gauge ranges only to get so many differing answers and more over OPINIONS none of which were helpfull at all and i simply gave up here seeking advice elsewhere. way to go ..way to make a newb feel welcome..

BTW, i still havent gotten my cooling issue adressed.but now i sure do have a myriad of possible scenarios as to what may or may not be causing it.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999

Hmm... I gotta try the stuff, always willing to spoil Chery with the best.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

By the way it also sounds like you are running TOO cool. Running below operating temp is almost as bad for the motro as running HOT. I suggest you put the correct type of coolant in your system.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
There are only two macufacturers of antifreeze in the world... the rest buy it and stick there name tag on it... so it doesn't make a dang which one you run... chances are they will be the same thing... $10 Autozone brand for me... lol

I can name at least four separate manufacturing company's of Anitfreeze in the U.S. alone. Prestone (Honeywell) makes and bottles their own, along with I am sure a ton of other brands that are sold in bulk and bottled. Peak (Old World Industries) also manufactures and bottles their own coolant along with many generic brands including Autozone brand. KOST manufactures coolant and bottles it for many automotive manufacturers like Volvo, Ford, Toyota and a few others. Zerex (Ashland Oil) produces coolant for Valvoline and many other generic brands.

I am sure there are small additive differences between brands from the same manufacturer but you would be hard pressed to see a real world difference during use as they all have to conform to the same set of rules for corrosion protection, boiling point and freeze protection.

If you want to know who and where a product really comes from look up the MSDS for the item and it will tell you where it was manufactured and what the parent company is.

Quick Reply: coolant