Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control Arm Help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Control Arm Help PLEASE

So today my son and I tackled the chore/pleasure of installing his new RC 4.5" Xseries lift. All bolts came out no problem. Rear install was a piece of cake. Went to install front components and heres what I ran into. In this exact order. Assembled all control arms ensuring they were correct length. In stalled lower control arms first. Followed by springs. Then as I attempted to install upper control arms I had an issue. UCA on drivers side went in easily but passenger side wouldnt line up for crap. Seemed way short. I couldnt roll axle enough to get bolt thruough hole. So I tried everywqy in the wrold possible to get it to work. No chance. So I was convinced i had wrong length on something so I took upper and lower control arms back off. All were correct length. I threw in the towel cause I had to leave for work. First thing tomorrow springs are coming out and will be the last thing to go in. Anyone seen this?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You didn't mention the track bar. Is it installed? If so disconnect it and try. A ratcheting strap can be helpful when lining things up. I would also do the springs after the arms I imagine you have spring compressors. You can also put the jeep down to help line things up. Ive done my front twice myself at about that same lift height and haven't run into this issue. Although the second time was with CAD brackets and they made things line up much easier.

Hope your next go at it is successful. Best of luck.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

A floor jack and ratchet strap will make the UCA install easier. Installing stock UCAs on a stock suspension is no easy task either.