Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

control arm drop

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default control arm drop

I'm soon going to be getting a control arm drop kit, I'm looking for some feedback from guys running them. What brand ease of installation, ride quality etc.

At this point I'm not looking to run long arms, so let's not make this a long arm vs CAD argument.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:46 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by hickatron
I'm soon going to be getting a control arm drop kit, I'm looking for some feedback from guys running them. What brand ease of installation, ride quality etc.

At this point I'm not looking to run long arms, so let's not make this a long arm vs CAD argument.
What kit are you going with? I put my RC kit on a couple weeks ago with a 4.5" lift. The drop brackets were pretty easy to install, and seemed to be pretty solid construction. The ride improved drastically. Your caster will be way off, and my shim bolts weren't long enough to get it back into spec. There was room left on the bracket, but the bolts only allowed me about 2.5* caster.

Also, if you are getting the RC kit, the brace that comes with it is mediocre at best. The self-tapping bolt system isn't very good. I used the recommended hole size (11/32"), and I stripped one bolt with a 1/4" drive ratchet. I am planning on fishing some bolts through the hole in the frame, and securing the brackets that way.

Overall, I'd say it was worth it, but you still may need longer arms.

If you aren't getting the rough country bracket, then only some of this will still apply to you
Old 02-08-2014, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by EvstaG
What kit are you going with? I put my RC kit on a couple weeks ago with a 4.5" lift. The drop brackets were pretty easy to install, and seemed to be pretty solid construction. The ride improved drastically. Your caster will be way off, and my shim bolts weren't long enough to get it back into spec. There was room left on the bracket, but the bolts only allowed me about 2.5* caster.

Also, if you are getting the RC kit, the brace that comes with it is mediocre at best. The self-tapping bolt system isn't very good. I used the recommended hole size (11/32"), and I stripped one bolt with a 1/4" drive ratchet. I am planning on fishing some bolts through the hole in the frame, and securing the brackets that way.

Overall, I'd say it was worth it, but you still may need longer arms.

If you aren't getting the rough country bracket, then only some of this will still apply to you
I drilled a 1 inch hole in frame there and feed a bolt and washer into the hole washer lock washer then nut and tighten it down ..
Old 02-08-2014, 04:22 PM

I'll have a set I installed but the jeep has never been used since for sale here soon
Old 02-08-2014, 05:14 PM

I am running the RC brackets also and they work and are very stout. Just do what the others said and ditch the shyt self tappers on the brace for larger bolts.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Ive had Rocky Roads CAD brackets with oem arms for 6 months. Very nice design and easy to install. I had no alignment issues and they work well. I would give them a look. I dont know how RC brackets are but these are braced all the way back to the crossmember and attach using those bolts.
Attached Thumbnails control arm drop-image-4024472720.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by turtletrax
I'll have a set I installed but the jeep has never been used since for sale here soon
Thank's for the helpful post.

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
Ive had Rocky Roads CAD brackets with oem arms for 6 months. Very nice design and easy to install. I had no alignment issues and they work well. I would give them a look. I dont know how RC brackets are but these are braced all the way back to the crossmember and attach using those bolts.
The Rocky Road design appealed to me as well. Unfortunately, the shipping to Canada was almost much as the product itself. I suspect the reason the alignment was spared on your setup is because these only drop the lower control arms, returning some of the caster, but retaining a small part of the harsh ride due to the upper arms in their stock position whereas the Rough Country drops the uppers and the lowers. Which in theory should have returned alignment back to stock specs, but I figure that RC didn't quite get their mounting positions ideal for a 4.5" lift, and that they had to factor in that many people will get better longer LCA's anyways.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I've run the RC versions for years and I welded the braces to the unit body because of the self tapping garbage screws. They work well for what they are and flex quite well too. Here's a pic of mine for reference. Not quite as good as a long arm but much better than a typical short arm. Kind of a happy medium kind of thing. I'm running 6" of lift on mine for reference with aftermarket uppers and lowers.
Attached Thumbnails control arm drop-2012-01-08_15-57-57_753.jpg   control arm drop-2012-01-08_15-57-13_519.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Actually the RR brackets relocate both arms. The alignment not being affected is from the oem arms purchased new with the brackets I believe. I think I just got lucky and it fell into place at the right height for them. I intend to go longarm this year but still a good product. Sorry to hear about the shipping best of luck.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
Actually the RR brackets relocate both arms. The alignment not being affected is from the oem arms purchased new with the brackets I believe. I think I just got lucky and it fell into place at the right height for them. I intend to go longarm this year but still a good product. Sorry to hear about the shipping best of luck.
That shipping situation is generally the case- and even if it seems like a reasonable shipping price at first, they'll get you with brokerage and other fees. At any rate, I skimming the RR website and I didn't see anything about the uppers, so I assumed it just dealt with the lowers. Glad to hear yours worked out for you alignment-wise, now let's get the OP into this conversation.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the CAD brackets will drop both arms. Adjustable arms are still recommended.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

I had RC drop brackets with adjustable flex joint lower control arms and factory uppers. 5.5" lift. Had them for a year, I really liked them, much better ride. And flexed real well.
That being said I am now going to long arms. Just because my rig is becoming more "hardcore"
Old 02-09-2014, 02:55 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I purchased an RE kit off ebay for like $140 shipped, pretty good design in my opinion and easy to install. I haven't really any kind of improvement in driveability but I'll attribute that to the fact that I haven't bothered to do an alignment yet. Don't have any wobble or anything like that but a slight vibration that might be improved, I just haven't done it yet.

I would definitely recommend the RE set though, cheap and great product. One thing I would have to recommend is spray with the hell out of the shackle shoe bolts with PB Blaster or you might end up like this:
control arm drop-tk0ywmo.jpg
It also helps to know when to stop trying to force it...

Last edited by KingsColor; 02-10-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

Kingscolor-you aren't alone. Happened to me too. Even with PB Blastin'.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking the rr brackets are what I'm going to be using.

Quick Reply: control arm drop