Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete exhaust change, advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Post Complete exhaust change, advice

so after a while i couldnt tell what the heck was leaking from my exhaust and i found out that i have a few cracks in my exhaust manifold for some reason. Does anyone know what the best route is to go with this is because i want to change my headers but dont know to go with junkyard parts or something decent aftermarket without breaking the bank. I also want to put a nice deep sounding muffler but i dont know much about a inline 6 and what muffler to go with to make it sound nice....does anyone have any advice on which companies to go with for this? thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Former Sponsor

You can get a Header for your 4.0 for nearly the same price as a stock manifold. I run a Magniflow Cat with no Muffler at the moment and it passed Colorado emmission and Sounds great. Nice Roar to it. Though the fact you are in Cal might hurt you. If you do the header make sure you invest in a bored Throttle body. Header will so much more benefit if you do the throttle body as well. Also make sure you PB blast the Bolts of the exhaust Manifold for about a week to let it soak in. If you break one of those bolts you can be very screwed. ( Dont Ask ) There is a guy in the FS section here that sells good mufflers. I have a couple of them. ( Have not put mine on yet ) but put one on a buddies rig and it sounds great. Loud roar when you punch it but no loud hum driving down the highway!! Good luck
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

My flowmaster super 44 is deeep its got a very noticable roar too it
Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by DMAXX
My flowmaster super 44 is deeep its got a very noticable roar too it

LOVE my super 44.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

I just put a flowmaster 44 on mine yesterday, sounds throaty. Here's a vid.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Had the same issue with the cracked exhaust manifold and now run this:

http://www.ineedparts.com/index.php?...oduct_id=15343

It says 91-99 because of the clearance issues with the 99+ Intake Manifold. I'm currently running the 99+ intake manifold and all you have to do to get both to work together is to grind down the underside of the 6th intake runner a little bit no serious modification.

For exhaust, you can not beat this deal:

http://performance-curve.com/84-01ch...ailpipe-1.aspx

I run both of those and I love my set up reallllly throaty. The 44 is a louder muffler with a bit of droning so if your not too keen on that it gives the option to select the quieter 40 for a little more.

:Edit: I also live in SoCal. Local muffler shops will have the best intel on whats legal and not. Mine is 100% legal since I still have my factory cat. After market cat's for CA break the bank.

Last edited by BrofessorXJ; 01-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dsach
You can get a Header for your 4.0 for nearly the same price as a stock manifold. I run a Magniflow Cat with no Muffler at the moment and it passed Colorado emmission and Sounds great. Nice Roar to it. Though the fact you are in Cal might hurt you. If you do the header make sure you invest in a bored Throttle body. Header will so much more benefit if you do the throttle body as well. Also make sure you PB blast the Bolts of the exhaust Manifold for about a week to let it soak in. If you break one of those bolts you can be very screwed. ( Dont Ask ) There is a guy in the FS section here that sells good mufflers. I have a couple of them. ( Have not put mine on yet ) but put one on a buddies rig and it sounds great. Loud roar when you punch it but no loud hum driving down the highway!! Good luck
yeah hopefully i have no issues with bolts breaking but cant tell till i do it! hahah but i forgot to mention mine is a 1998 if that helps. Me being in california i have no issues, if i wanted to i could do straight pipe haha

Originally Posted by BrofessorXJ
Had the same issue with the cracked exhaust manifold and now run this:

http://www.ineedparts.com/index.php?...oduct_id=15343

It says 91-99 because of the clearance issues with the 99+ Intake Manifold. I'm currently running the 99+ intake manifold and all you have to do to get both to work together is to grind down the underside of the 6th intake runner a little bit no serious modification.

For exhaust, you can not beat this deal:

http://performance-curve.com/84-01ch...ailpipe-1.aspx

I run both of those and I love my set up reallllly throaty. The 44 is a louder muffler with a bit of droning so if your not too keen on that it gives the option to select the quieter 40 for a little more.

:Edit: I also live in SoCal. Local muffler shops will have the best intel on whats legal and not. Mine is 100% legal since I still have my factory cat. After market cat's for CA break the bank.
muffler wise i have some kind of idea on what i wanted to do but couldnt find any manifold for a decent price. how are those headers for so cheap? i saw some for 300+ online.....also what part of socal do you live? all i would need is headers and a muffle and one of my buddies said if i got all the parts he would do the whole exhaust from under the manifold to the back as long as i get the muffler but im not going to run a cat and i will install the headers myself
Old 01-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Unleashed
muffler wise i have some kind of idea on what i wanted to do but couldnt find any manifold for a decent price. how are those headers for so cheap? i saw some for 300+ online.....also what part of socal do you live? all i would need is headers and a muffle and one of my buddies said if i got all the parts he would do the whole exhaust from under the manifold to the back as long as i get the muffler but im not going to run a cat and i will install the headers myself
I've done a lot of research on different headers and a lot of guys on here are running the APN and swear by it and so far, after about 500 miles, I do too. They're cheap because they're supposed to be a knockoff of Banks or Borla also, when you buy those 300+ brands you are paying for the name. I can say it is a huge improvement over your factory header which is probably cracked(they're notorious for this.) I'm assuming this is your trail rig since you are not going to run a cat why not just forget the muffler and run a straight pipe?

As for your buddy... I may be interested in full 2.5" I'm only running the headers and 2.5" catback.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

I've done a lot of research on different headers and a lot of guys on here are running the APN and swear by it and so far, after about 500 miles, I do too. They're cheap because they're supposed to be a knockoff of Banks or Borla also, when you buy those 300+ brands you are paying for the name. I can say it is a huge improvement over your factory header which is probably cracked(they're notorious for this.) I'm assuming this is your trail rig since you are not going to run a cat why not just forget the muffler and run a straight pipe?

As for your buddy... I may be interested in full 2.5" I'm only running the headers and 2.5" catback.
I think I'm just going to go with those headers then, thanks! And for right now I'm using it as a daily drive since I pulled apart my F150's engine, doing a timing chain job on it currently. But 2.5 is a good size to run right? Nothing bigger or smaller?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Seasoned Member

I think I'm just going to go with those headers then, thanks! And for right now I'm using it as a daily drive since I pulled apart my F150's engine, doing a timing chain job on it currently. But 2.5 is a good size to run right? Nothing bigger or smaller?
No problem they should work nicely for you let me know if you need any help. Just remember if you have the rounded style 99+ Intake Manifold you will have to do some grinding to get it to fit. 2.5" is perfect for the 4.0 that's what a lot of people run on here anymore and you lose back pressure. Be careful on the streets with no cat tho man you're talking big bucks if you're caught by LAPD.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:02 PM
N8N

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

related question, does anyone make a mandrel bent (pref. stainless) downpipe for a 99? I prefer to stick with stuff that interchanges with OEM components in case I end up in a bind then I can just replace muffler, tailpipe, or downpipe individually with parts store stuff if I have to. And I don't need a new header (yet. I'm sure I will someday...)

I'm kind of dumb, I have absolutely no need for a new exhaust. BUT I love the sound of a straight six with a free flowing exhaust and am tempted anyway. However it seems that the biggest restriction is that crimp in the factory downpipe, not the muffler or tailpipe (although there's plenty of options for those parts...) so it would seem that a downpipe upgrade would the the first step in a "performance" exhaust.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by N8N
related question, does anyone make a mandrel bent (pref. stainless) downpipe for a 99? I prefer to stick with stuff that interchanges with OEM components in case I end up in a bind then I can just replace muffler, tailpipe, or downpipe individually with parts store stuff if I have to. And I don't need a new header (yet. I'm sure I will someday...)

I'm kind of dumb, I have absolutely no need for a new exhaust. BUT I love the sound of a straight six with a free flowing exhaust and am tempted anyway. However it seems that the biggest restriction is that crimp in the factory downpipe, not the muffler or tailpipe (although there's plenty of options for those parts...) so it would seem that a downpipe upgrade would the the first step in a "performance" exhaust.
I've searched and there is currently nothing(that I know of) after market for the downpipe. Your only option here is to take it to a muffler shop and have them bend one for you. However, to be fair you won't see much of a difference if a dent is removed. The stock exhaust is restrictive and the dent in the downpipe is one of many restrictions. It's when you go with after market headers, full 2.5" exhaust, and a high flow cat and muffler you will hear, see, and feel the difference.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 242CID I-6

Originally Posted by Illuminator
I just put a flowmaster 44 on mine yesterday, sounds throaty. Here's a vid.
Jeep xj flowmaster 44 hi flow cat - YouTube
oh...i just jizzed a little.... i wants......
Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

No problem they should work nicely for you let me know if you need any help. Just remember if you have the rounded style 99+ Intake Manifold you will have to do some grinding to get it to fit. 2.5" is perfect for the 4.0 that's what a lot of people run on here anymore and you lose back pressure. Be careful on the streets with no cat tho man you're talking big bucks if you're caught by LAPD.
I never have issues with any police department considering I'm basically apart of it

But mine is a 98 but haven't checked the production date, what part needs to be trimmed exactly? I also own a mechanic shop with my dad so I have all kinds of tools but not a pipe bender for the exhaust which sucks for that haha

Last edited by Unleashed; 01-04-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

I never have issues with any police department considering I'm basically apart of it

But mine is a 98 but haven't checked the production date, what part needs to be trimmed exactly? I also own a mechanic shop with my dad so I have all kinds of tools but not a pipe bender for the exhaust which sucks for that haha
Part of the police dept and have a shop let's be friends haha. Your 98 will still have the older style intake manifold in it so you'll have no problems and won't have to grind anything. If you end up upgrading to the 99+ manifold you just have to grind down the underside of the 6th intake runner.

Quick Reply: Complete exhaust change, advice