Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Spring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Coil Spring Problem

Ok. I have searched the hell out of google and the forum and can not find an answer to this question.

I'm building up a 94 XJ 4wd that already has some kind of unidentified lift kit on it.

Near as I can tell it has 3 inch coil spacers, the lower controll arms for a 3 inch lift and three inch shackels in the back.

I have issues with the coil springs. I have replaced the entire front end (i.e. ball joints tie rods, sway bar links, drag link) and everything up there was stock parts...No big deal.

The coils that are on it have an installed height of 11 inches from the base to the bottom of the spacer. The Moog CC782's that I ordered say they have a 15" installed height. They look huge like they wont even fit when I get ready to put them on tomorrow.

I have checked every website (advance, autozone, napa, etc..) and they all call for the CC782 as the stock replacement.

Do I need to remove the coil spacers to put the new springs on or are the old coils just sagging that bad?

BTW, I also got ProComp ES8000 shocks for the 3 inch lift and ProComp military wrap springs for the rear which look like they should go in no problem.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

the ones on xj are compressed from weight of vechicle the new ones are not yet thats why they look so different if thats what your asking? pictures do wonders and dont think theres three inch lift shackles...
Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 PM

I'll go snap a pic and post it in a minute.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 PM

OK. Here is a pic. Like I said, it is barely 11 inches as installed which leaves me thinking that this coil is only about 15 inches uncompressed.
The new replacement coils are 18.5 inches long and according to the documentation have a 15 inch installed height. That has me wondering if they are going to fit. I know the sway bar links are going to need to be replaced with longer ones or with disconnects....Am I just paranoid?

Last edited by Tacticaledge; 03-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Oh yeah...As far as 3 inch shackles, ebay is full of them.

This thing was a crapped out rust bucket when I bought it. The PO hadnt driven it on the road in over five years and had no idea what type or brand of lift kit was used. The LCA's are the tubular bent kind and look like procomps.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 PM

Anybody there?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tacticaledge
OK. Here is a pic. Like I said, it is barely 11 inches as installed which leaves me thinking that this coil is only about 15 inches uncompressed.
The new replacement coils are 18.5 inches long and according to the documentation have a 15 inch installed height. That has me wondering if they are going to fit. I know the sway bar links are going to need to be replaced with longer ones or with disconnects....Am I just paranoid?

Oh yeah...As far as 3 inch shackles, ebay is full of them.

This thing was a crapped out rust bucket when I bought it. The PO hadnt driven it on the road in over five years and had no idea what type or brand of lift kit was used. The LCA's are the tubular bent kind and look like procomps.
looks like stock spring with three inch spacer to me im running 9 inch lift coil with 2.5 spacers yours will fit ,never seeen 3inch lift shackles
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

are you just trying to replace the spring and spacer or add more lift than what you have?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

stock ride 17.5 front 17 rear from center of axle bottom of fender flare if that helps
Old 03-23-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
stock ride 17.5 front 17 rear from center of axle bottom of fender flare if that helps

I got 17.5 in front. Which should be about 18.5-19 since Im riding on 31's. Rear is shot...Negative arch on the leafs.
I just cant figure out why it has all these lift kit components just to ride at stock height.

Has 3 inch coil spacers, 3 inch LCA's, had no sway bar at all when I bought it, and has a drop pitman arm. I just did the u-joints since they were shot and the thing had spicers on it...The guy I bought it from got it from a guy who got it from a guy so he doesnt know anything about it. It aparantly had some height at one point.

I guess my real question is what is the stock spring length....I thought it was 15" with a 11.25" compressed length. But, everything I looked up on it says 15" compressed which is 4 inches higher than where Im at....With the coil spacer, that would give me 7" lift over stock theoretically.

That is what has me worried. Over 3 inches starts throwing the geometry off in the front.
But since I'm riding at stock height with a 3 inch lift, I might be alright?????
I'll swap out the springs, shocks, and links and see what happens.

Last edited by Tacticaledge; 03-23-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

how do you no it has 3 inch control arms and drop arm there only 1/4 inch difference needed from stock to 3 inch lift arm length

Last edited by freegdr; 03-23-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM

It has the extra thick tubular lowers with the 35 degree bend in them and the pitman arm is definitely not stock. It has the components that you would put on a 4.5" lift. It kind of looks like one of the procomp $400 lift kits.

LCA's are exactly like these:

Pitman arm is exactly like this one:

Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

measure them center to center and match them up...http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/..._Arm_Chart.htm
Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 PM

That is what I'm getting at too. You can do a 3 inch with stock components. This thing has a bunch of aftermarket lift kit parts but has these super short springs on it..
I guess I'm just overthinking it. With the parts that are on it, the springs could be 5 or six inches longer and it shouldn't matter.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I can see it is at stock ride height, just by the way the sway bar links are.
Those look like stock sway links, and the bushings aren't cocked at all. If it were lifted, the threaded top section would likely be bent and the bushings would be pinched badly.

Seeing the coil spacers makes me think those springs are much shorter than stock.

Quick Reply: Coil Spring Problem