Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Spring Help

Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Coil Spring Help

OK I'm about to smoke my brain after hours of research and looking at TONS of contradictory info in half a dozen different forums.

My mission: I want to replace the front original stock springs and 2" spacer and Rancho shocks with new springs and shocks (will replace rear shocks as well) that match up with the rear.

My Current Setup: Aside from what I mentioned above. In the front I have a JCR DIY Bumper (about 65 lbs IIRC) going to be adding a Dirtbound Offroad Hoop Kit and LED Lightbar. (Unknown weight, gonna guess 30-40 lbs?)

In the rear I have OME CS035RA HD Springs (added last summer), with Skyjacker shocks. Currently building a JCR DIY rear bumper and will be adding a spare tire carrier.

Finally I'm just finishing up a DIY full size roof rack, guessing on the weight 75-85 lbs after I get the expanded metal on the bottom.

31 inch tires.

Primary Use: Daily driver, plus family trips, some dirt trails, rough New England roads, camping trips etc. No serious offroad. Looking for a decent daily ride but robust suspension.

The vehicle has a bit of a nose down stance at the moment. But I think after I add the rear bumper and tire carrier and roof rack the back end will drop a bit. And getting rid of the tired front springs It'll bring the front up a bit.

I'd like to go with OME springs up front, like in the rear. Looks like I have two options best I can tell: 930 or 934.

I can't seem to find what those two options are going to net me as far as lift.

From what I've read with 930's your looking at 1.5" to 1.75" in that case I would more than likely need a spacer which I'd like to avoid, however feedback of nice ride.

But with 934's the consensus seems to be 3" and a stiffer ride but not clear of how much weight up front and if the weight I'm adding will bring it down into the 2" range to match the rear.

And thinking out loud, another option I considered was the 930 with ACOS to be able to fine tune to match the back....?

As far as shocks go, I've been bouncing Bilstein and OME back and forth but I think I'm gonna go with OME 5100's and keep it all the same, OME seems to have the softer ride. Unless anyone can see a reason why I shouldn't in my situation.

Finally. I'm also in the process of rebuilding the steering. As part of that, I'm replacing the track bar, should I opt for an adjustable or stick with a stock bar? Worried because if I end up with the 934's and it takes me closer to 3" it's my understanding that is the pushing the limits of the stock bar.

Hope I'm not making this more complicated than it needs to be. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

ya your making it more complicated for yourself lol it just comes down to how much of a good ride do you want? it looks like that is your major factor for this. if anything, a small spacer isn't bad if your front is lower than the back.
track bar: best to get a adjustable one or one meant for the height you're at, anything past 1" and your axle is shifting to the driver side.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the response. I do think I will go with the JKS 1-3.5 inch adjustable track bar. Gonna give the OME 930's a shot.

Originally I had decided to go with BDS 2" springs till I realized the spring rate. I don't think that would have been very comfortable.