Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Clearance Issue

Having a little issue with the clearance from my tie-rod end on the drag link bar/and tie-rod bar hitting my quick disc mount on the axel. This is the only problem I'm running into with my new lift. Am I just over looking something here? Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Clearance Issue-cherokee-clearance-issue-002.jpg   Clearance Issue-cherokee-clearance-issue-001.jpg   Clearance Issue-cherokee-clearance-issue-003.jpg   Clearance Issue-cherokee-clearance-issue-004.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Seasoned Member

And before anyone says anything I know that the QD mount needs to be on the opposite side of were it is. Just moved to help my issue.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 PM

Year: 1991 XJ SPORT 2 DR.
Engine: 4.0 600 HP

thats the pitfall of stock steering , a 2 inch drop pitman arm would help out and the bump-steer or aftermarket steering or cut and relocate the swaybar mount higher > 2 cents
Old 12-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

It has the drop pitman arm that came with the 5.5" RE Lift.... I thought 1 ton steering would take care of the issue but, I searched this site before I posted and couldn't find anyone who has had this issue after a lift install, so I think there's away to fix the issue before the upgrade to 1ton steering.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: I6 4.0

are you using a OTK set up?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i went with the 4.5 coils from rustys i had the same problem with the stock steering. although i just cut mine off. i use no front sway bar. id say just upgrade the steering
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM

4.5'' with stockl pitman arm, and I have no steering issues, but I also dont run a front sway bar.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by MedicXJ
are you using a OTK set up?
No but I'm looking into it... If I did I'd have to cut and move the mount so it would solve the problem I think?

Originally Posted by liftedjeepxj
when i went with the 4.5 coils from rustys i had the same problem with the stock steering. although i just cut mine off. i use no front sway bar. id say just upgrade the steering
Man I dont want to hear that
Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 PM

[QUOTE=b.mcdaniel.2009;1409233]No but I'm looking into it... If I did I'd have to cut and move the mount so it would solve the problem I think?

Thats correct. reduces bump steer by a ton too. I was just curious b/c that looked soooo much hight than a normal steering set up. Just my opinon if you want it. If you do go over the knuckle, research what you buy thoroughly. I would get one the separates the drag link and tie rod, otherwise the tie rod will roll every time you steer "the dead spot".
Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

[QUOTE=MedicXJ;1409377
Thats correct. reduces bump steer by a ton too. I was just curious b/c that looked soooo much hight than a normal steering set up. Just my opinon if you want it. If you do go over the knuckle, research what you buy thoroughly. I would get one the separates the drag link and tie rod, otherwise the tie rod will roll every time you steer "the dead spot".[/QUOTE]

These kits were the ones I have been pondering about. The 1 ton set-up from jcroffroad are connected though but from the picture it appears to have plunty of clearance... Any suggestions or another brand the would be better????

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XST

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=S6
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM

yeah I wouldn't go with the JCR one just because it connects to the tie rod. I was running a modified version of this from rusty's before I did a WJ knuckle upgrade.
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=ste
It's nice but expensive and kind a PITA, but you get the upgraded trac bar mounts witch is nice. It's works really well for me. Oh and you have to have 16" rims or 4.5" back spacing (who has that much lol).

The one from Ironrock seems pretty cool not too sure how the drag link works for clearance, I know i've seen at lest one person on here using it, but they had had used it offroad yet.

hope that helps, maybe someone else has some good suggestions.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Avoid rustys when it comes to steering/track bar
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM

Just curious why, what problems have you had or heard of?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by MedicXJ
yeah I wouldn't go with the JCR one just because it connects to the tie rod. I was running a modified version of this from rusty's before I did a WJ knuckle upgrade.
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=ste
It's nice but expensive and kind a PITA, but you get the upgraded trac bar mounts witch is nice. It's works really well for me. Oh and you have to have 16" rims or 4.5" back spacing (who has that much lol).

The one from Ironrock seems pretty cool not too sure how the drag link works for clearance, I know i've seen at lest one person on here using it, but they had had used it offroad yet.

hope that helps, maybe someone else has some good suggestions.
4.5" back spacing!!! WOW screw that. PITA is right!I found searching alittle more on here that a guy had the same problem. He just cut and fabed a new mount and kepted running his stock steering. I'm not sure if I want to do that. Our stock steering is weak as we all now so this might just be a good reason just to upgrade now. Cash really isn't the issue I just dont want to buy a OTK "bolt on" kit and realize I have to change my hole front end....I know I have to keep the trac-bar and tie-rod parallel
as much possible for best handling on and off-road but I would like to know that I may have to change my pitman arm and have it there when I do the install.
So I heard! Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I have the same problem, but it started after I went into a bomb crater (literally, Johnson valley) and put my discos through my fender and bent the axle mounts a little. Can't tell for sure in the pics, but yours does look slightly bent.
I'm gonna upgrade to currie steering and a pitman to fix the problem. I guess you gotta couple choices when it comes to steering upgrades tho.

Quick Reply: Clearance Issue