Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charocoal canister relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix
Default Charocoal canister relocation?

Hey guys, I have been looking around and reading alot. At first I had thought to delete my charcoal canister, as much of my vacuum system is decimated anyway. The only line currently connected to it is the fuel tank vacuum line.

It is my understanding, after lots of reading, that the only purpose for that charcoal canister is for venting of fuel vapor through the canister, resulting in diminished fuel smell. If incorrect, please set me straight!

With as butchered as my vacuum system is, I have decisions. I can set to original or continue to lose the system, down to bare necessities. That will eventually leave me with the mass air flow sensor and the valve cover vapor to intake manifold line.

I am going to be replacing my entire environmental system with an aftermarket heater. This will eliminate the very large control set, the vacuum controlled heater control valve, and vacuum controlled blend gate and vent controls. The vacuum disco axle will be going to a one piece. The EGR valve isn't on it currently thanks to the PO, so a blank plate is in order there. That leaves the charcoal cannisters.

I would like an opinion on deleting the canister. I think I can move it to the passenger lower rear quarter panel if it's not a good idea to just vent it. I have read multiple posts on other forums discussing it, but am here asking you.

My county is not an emissions testing county, so emissions are not of concern.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The charcoal canister also vents the fuel tank so by deleting it you mite have other fuel system problems I would fix the vacuum system back to stock , you can get all the info you need to fix the heater and A/C if you have that , if you put a heater in the rear how are you going to get a defroster .
Old 05-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Renix

My apologies for the ambiguity of my post. The proposed canister relocation will be to the rear passenger lower quarter panel. The heater will be in stock-ish location. The heater that I am looking at is the flex-a-lite Mojave heater

The whole purpose is to clean up dead end and incorrect installations done by the previous owner. I just investigated my cruise control and determined that is also unnecessary, so that system is now tagged for removal
Old 05-21-2018, 04:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: 4.0

While the charcoal canister does reduce fuel smells, that is not it's primary purpose. The primary purpose of the charcoal canister is to stop gasoline vapors from venting to atmosphere. Same reason we have to deal with irritating 5 gallon gas cans. Gasoline evaporating is one of the biggest sources of pollution.

If simplicity is your preference, delete the charcoal canister, cap the line going to the canister at the fuel tank and install a vented gas cap. If you want to retain the canister, then put it wherever you want standing up straight like it currently is. Will need to connect the rest of the canister lines in the correct configuration.

If the rest of the lines are not reconnected and properly routed, then the fuel tank is venting in the engine compartment. Not the best place to have fuel vapors floating around.

Last edited by bad_idea; 05-21-2018 at 04:08 AM.