Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cb Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cb Help

i hope this is in the right place. i just bought a cobra 29ltd classic with a road king mike for 20 bucks. the mic has been pulled out of the plug no biggie. i got the mic fixed for like 4 bucks. i mounted it and everything looks good. going to run power to it tomorrow hopefully, i dont know much about cb's but today i talked to the guy i got it from and he said he had 2 of these radios and could not remember which one was which. there is a possibility the one i have is set up on HAM. i dont know what all this entails but how do i set it up for citizens band?? any help would be appreciated
Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

I'd need a further clarification of what this guy was saying to be of any help. The only way to make a CB work for HAM is to do a LOT of modifications to it which would make it no longer a CB. (The frequencies it would transmit on would be totally different) There is something that use to be popular where you could make a CB work between channels. So it would transmit at a frequency halfway between say channel 3 and channel 4 there by cutting down on traffic on the channel and you can broadcast farther. Sort of an off-shoot of "side band" but done illegally. Normally one would eliminate one of the legitimate ***** on the face of the CB and replace it with the one which would switch the channels up or down. Or whatever
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 PM

Exactly was programbo said. You would need a frequency counter to figure out exactly what's going on. Best bet is to find someone to take a look at it and give it a tune up
Old 06-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

he said he had some guy work on it and it needed to be programed
Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

when i hook power and ant up to it will this be something i can tell right off the bat?? i am in GA and say someone from west coast answers???
Old 07-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Without a frequency counter and knowing the channel frequencies you will have no clue.

On stock radios it is possible to talk all over the world(on skip) on a good day. I've done it.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 PM

Year: 1998

Take it to a truck stop with a cb shop, and tell him what you told us, and have him look at it, and see what you have.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

Theres a 10 kc spacing between channels on citizen band radios. When they used to put in the illegal channels, they split the difference at 5 kc. So you'd have another channel in between each legal pair. Normally they would use the PA switch or one of the other 2 position switch's. Not like sideband. Side band is a totally different.