Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this caused by my lockers or steering alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Wheel, break, fix, repeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC I6 4.0
Default Is this caused by my lockers or steering alignment

I have Aussies installed front and rear (D30, 8.25). They're getting broken in fairly well. They are worth their weight in gold on the trail. I have an 87 with a 5-speed manual Peugeot tranny, NP231, and regular ole' 29" tires. Here's my conundrum.

- When accelerating in a straight line 1st gear is "normal" but when shifting into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th she wants to pull sharply and quickly, "dart", to the right.
- When downshifting from 5th, 4th, 3rd... she darts to the left.

I would automatically think "alignment" but when just coasting with the clutch in and let go of the wheel she will track straight.

Here's another weird characteristic. When backing up she will "rear up" on the right side. The right rear corner goes up higher than the left.

As I've said, she runs great on the trails and crawls up anything I point her at. I've checked the rear axles and locker tests pass with flying colors.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995 &2000
Engine: 4.0

Yes sounds like the lockers are working lol that's what they do, now if you was welded it be worse
Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 AM

If that's normal then so-be-it, I'm happy. I searched and searched but couldn't find any reference to this specific behavior. But there were plenty of warnings about driving in the snow and ice. Thanks nick!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Year: 1995 &2000
Engine: 4.0

Yeah it can get away from you in snow and ice or even rain. Just becarefull when that stuff comes down don't want a totalled xj.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by nickxj94
Yes sounds like the lockers are working lol that's what they do, now if you was welded it be worse
yup. normal. its torque steer due to differences in axleshaft length. didnt feel it till i put lockers in.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by rompnXJ

yup. normal. its torque steer due to differences in axleshaft length. didnt feel it till i put lockers in.
I've never heard of torque steer before. I hope you're telling me that the front axle is causing the torque steer because I'm fairly certain the rear shafts are the same length.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM

And as I said in my original post, I searched but couldn't find a reason for my situation. Now I know its called torque steer. A quick "torque steer site:CherokeeForum.com" finds oodles and oodles of info. I didn't realize how much Tire pressure affects lockers on the street. I dropped my pressures for Labor Day weekend at Uwharrie. I didn't reset the pressures yet either. Thanks guys!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Elexwiz
I've never heard of torque steer before. I hope you're telling me that the front axle is causing the torque steer because I'm fairly certain the rear shafts are the same length.
yes, the rear axleshafts are the same length, but you dont steer with the rear axle lol.
what you're feeling is caused by the front axle, because the right axle is twice as long as the left one.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by rompnXJ
yes, the rear axleshafts are the same length, but you dont steer with the rear axle lol.
what you're feeling is caused by the front axle, because the right axle is twice as long as the left one.
This makes sense, but only if you're driving around in 4x4. In 2wd there is no power to the front axle, thus, no torque steer can occur. Otherwise the only explanation is tire pressure difference.