Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cause for death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Cause for death wobble

Hello Jeepers!

I have a 97 jeep cherokee with 4.5 inches of lift and it gets really bad death wobble when going 50 -70 mph and hitting a bump. (probably would do it higher, but I have no need to drive faster than 70 mph). Also i notice it does it more when the left side (driver side tire hits bumps)

Things done and checked:
*I replaced trackbar with adjustable rubicon express
* I added a dual stablizer from rough country (three years old now)
*New ball joints and wheel bearings
*new rubicon express pitman arm
*greased and review all gromets and fittings.
*new upper control arms
*had jeep aligned three times over the past 4 months.(can post results)
*taken the jeep to 2 shops and they dont see anything wrong. (looking for better mechanic now)

Is there anything I could be missing? maybe the dual stablizer sucks? I thought that was just a dampener thought. The way my jeeps shakes, it so violent and dangerous. One dealer said my bfg goodrich tires (a/t) could be bad. They still have a lot of life on them and I have never misused them. Also rotated them.

Looking into chaos fab shop now. I have to fix. Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have been researching and review my steering components. This issue is just invisible to my untrained eye.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Is your alignment shop setting it for stock or compensating for the lift. Your caster should be at between 86º and 86.5º with 4.5" of lift (between 5.0º and 5.5º true caster on an HP D30), compared to stock at 87.5º. This should help your steering to center which will reduce the likelihood of alignment induced Death Wobble. Other things to check would be your driveline angles, specifically the drag link/track bar alignment, they should be parallel. Also, have a look at your LCA bushings and confirm they are seated properly. If the LCA is able to move at all then a slight bump can induce an oscillation that will become Death Wobble.

It sounds like you're going about it right but it can be frustrating finding the cause.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Get yer meats balanced.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:50 PM

Tires balanced and I have posted my most recent alignment ratings

Still having issues when hitting bumps or bridge joints at 50-70 mph
Old 04-30-2014, 02:08 PM

Year: 2000

How about the track bar bracket mounted at frame recently had troubles with mine couldnt notice play but under load it was shifting. Replaced my bolts to the bracket helped me.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee

mine was the sway bar linkage. the ball poped out of the socket and was causing my death wobble
Old 04-30-2014, 03:45 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

I recently installed my 3'' zone kit with ext. quick release links and adj., trac bar (only part from RC the rest is all zone). I did coils and full leaf packs and the nitro shocks. Rides like hell! the mirrors vibrate so much they are useless when on the throttle. When I get off the gas or just back off a little while going down hill, so on the gas but not enough to gain speed while coasting down overpasses and such, I get this groaning/rough howling grinding from the rear. And if I go 50+ you better hold on tight cause this jeep twerks harder than Miley. I get this rapid death wobble that used to not happen till 70mph, then 60, and now consistant at 50mph.

Ive had it aligned at a 4x4 shop, did nothing to the vibes and next day going 60mph no bump, and got wobble, alignment now gone. This weekend I opened up the rear end. I changed the wheel bearings, checked the axles for damage (local 4x4 shop said they are bent) I saw no signs of that. The gears looked good in my least profesional opinion, and I didnt see shavings in the fluid. So i closed it all up and filled with new fluid. Nothing changed! I really need some help if anyone's got any! Please Apply!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.8

One thing to keep in mind is that as you hit a bump the toe in/out changes. I would get under there and add some toe, or remove it, then drive and see. If not better or worst then go opposite.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:49 PM

Thanks guys, i will take a look at the mentioned. One mechanic mentioned to take a look at the steering box....
Old 05-01-2014, 12:20 AM

anyone know what i should be looking at for steering box to be cause? not sure how to troubleshoot
Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by DNNDRTY
anyone know what i should be looking at for steering box to be cause? not sure how to troubleshoot

I can only think of loose linkage or mounting surfaces- with the engine off and steering wheel unlocked maybe you can hear creaks or squeaks during rotation?

The lower/axle side trackbar bolt was the culprit for me on a couple of Jeeps. You might completely remove it and make sure its axle mounts haven't "ovalized."
Old 05-01-2014, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Try RWK's suggestion before messing with the steering box...

I took mine in for an alignment recently because I had a little DW and they adjusted the toe to their specs. Guess what? Even worse DW after. Gotta keep in mind that you're lifted. The geometry is all off and the stock specs no longer exactly apply
Old 05-01-2014, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

I've been chasing the same at about 50mph. Changed, checked, tightened, aligned, balanced, everything.
In the end I come up with 'potholes'. It's my tires. I think that all the potholes have broken a belt or 2 in the MTRs and they are unstable at speed. Worse at 30psi, gone at 50psi. Different tires and wheels and DW gone. Driving down the road, rims are straight and the tires are wobbling all over.
Just saying it might be your tires.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks everyone, I have some homework for this weekend.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
I've been chasing the same at about 50mph. Changed, checked, tightened, aligned, balanced, everything.
In the end I come up with 'potholes'. It's my tires. I think that all the potholes have broken a belt or 2 in the MTRs and they are unstable at speed. Worse at 30psi, gone at 50psi. Different tires and wheels and DW gone. Driving down the road, rims are straight and the tires are wobbling all over.
Just saying it might be your tires.
If the belts are damaged in tire is that covered under the warranty? I have the BFG all-terrains. Its very hard to find information on death wooble caused by tires and steering box, but very easy for the more common causes

Quick Reply: Cause for death wobble