Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can i transfer lift parts to xj from zj

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default can i transfer lift parts to xj from zj

Like the title says I have a 93 grand cherokee zj with a 4.5 lift coil spring setup and slip yoke drive shafts with dana 35. My question is would it be possible to take the transfer case with drive shafts and axles and lift and transfer it over to an xj with minimal custom work, like not making my own brackets and things like that. I am just wondering because I am trying to get away from all the bs electronics that are in the grand cherokee. Or would it be easier to swap out the auto trans and motor for a manual trans and motor with a new computer. Main reason is because I have a lot of work and money in my jeep, I am just over having an automatic and all these sensors in the jeep. Thanks for the thoughts and comments
Old 05-11-2017, 02:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Which engine is in the grand is it a 4.0 ?You could swap in a stick in the zj they came with one 93 only i believe.As far as swapping all that to a xj the short answer 99% of it won't work with out a lot of work.The zj is low pinion front axle while the xj but for the 00-01 years are high pinion and a better axle.The front springs are about it off the zj lift you can use.The rear would take a ton of work to use plus the dana 35 is the weakest stock rear end these jeeps had.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

if you have aftermarket control arms and track bar, they will also fit, along with the front coils.
the rear in the zj won't swap, obviously, cause the zj is coil rear.

the transfer case will bolt up, but most zj had the 242. not a big deal, the xj also came with a 242, but if your zj has a 249, then forget about it, you won't want that.

yeah, the front axle will bolt in, but as mentioned, it's a low pinion, the rear won't as you would have to cut off the control arm mounts and weld on leaf spring perches, or do a coil conversion in the xj.

and yeah, that's about all you can use. driveshaft probably won't be correct length.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Which engine is in the grand is it a 4.0 ?You could swap in a stick in the zj they came with one 93 only i believe.As far as swapping all that to a xj the short answer 99% of it won't work with out a lot of work.The zj is low pinion front axle while the xj but for the 00-01 years are high pinion and a better axle.The front springs are about it off the zj lift you can use.The rear would take a ton of work to use plus the dana 35 is the weakest stock rear end these jeeps had.
thanks I just wanted to get an idea how hard it would and if it would even be worth it. I had the awd transfer case but swapped it out I cant remember exactly which one right off hand. If i found a manual trans from that year would I need to possibly get a new computer or mess with any of the wiring harness at all. I know the dana 35 suck thats just what it had when i got it. eventually i want to swap in the ford 9 inch axle, but that's just added to the million other plans I have for the jeep. lol
Old 05-13-2017, 01:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A stock 9 inch isn't really that strong off road,If im swapping axles im going best oem bolt in or im going full 1 ton aka dana 70 or 14 bolt or ford sterling rear and a dana 60 front.For the stick swap read this http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/archive...hp/t-6642.html