Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a 97 XJ be modified to fit a type 34 battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Can a 97 XJ be modified to fit a type 34 battery?

I was reading this thread: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/battery-size-61149/ about how people have been using the type 34 batteries in their jeeps so I went out and got one despite mine currently having a 58 in it and I can't make the 34 fit without modifications. I cut the battery tray so it fits length wise but the height is still too much for the bolts that hold the battery clamp down. Like .5 inch more and it would be fine. Apparently the 99-01 models used the type 34 batteries so could I potentially use a 99-01 battery tray and bolts / clamp to make this battery I have work? The only concern I have then would be it would rub pretty significantly against the radiator hose. Any tips or tricks are appreciated and thanks!
Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Hmm,

I have a 98 XJ and I cut the stock battery tray to make it fit.
Then I was at the JY and saw an another XJ (Can't remember if it was older or newer) that had a tray that looked larger than mine, and sure enough it fit a type 34 battery with no cutting.

Swapped it in, threw my Duralast 34-DLG battery in and the stock clamp fit with no issues.

It is about to be 2*F here after dark (the only time I am home) but I will see if I can grab a pic in the morning if I can feel my fingers
Old 12-05-2016, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/opti...erokee-xj.html
Old 12-05-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Hmm,

I have a 98 XJ and I cut the stock battery tray to make it fit.
Then I was at the JY and saw an another XJ (Can't remember if it was older or newer) that had a tray that looked larger than mine, and sure enough it fit a type 34 battery with no cutting.

Swapped it in, threw my Duralast 34-DLG battery in and the stock clamp fit with no issues.

It is about to be 2*F here after dark (the only time I am home) but I will see if I can grab a pic in the morning if I can feel my fingers
So battery height wasn't an issue? Mine seems too tall for it but maybe I didn't have everything aligned quite right since it was completely dark out while I was attempting the swap.
The battery trays being different is what I was hoping to hear so thanks for that info!

If a tray from a 99-01 would work, it would be a heck of a lot cheaper. It looks nice but a little more than I'd like to spend if I can make it work with SY parts.

Last edited by WolfeMan; 12-05-2016 at 09:57 PM.