Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumpstop package recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bumpstop package recommendation

Anyone have any good bumpstop recommendations? Need all of them replaced

Just bought the Zone 3 inch suspension package...need something for that height.

Thanks!

Last edited by xjohnmatrix; 12-18-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

If you give us information we will give you information. You have given us nothing to go by like year, tire size, trimmed fenders, SB disconnects, shocks used, rear SB removed.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

The length of the bumpstops is contingent on the size of tire not the height of lift. The bump stops are there to prevent the tires from hitting the Jeep. I'd suggest the best method is to fit the bumpstops to the tires/body of your particular Jeep.

What I did and I suggest you do: Buy extended bump stops, there are limited lengths available. Just buy a good quality set.

Then dial in the front bump stops. Put jack stands under the frame rails, pull the front springs and cycle the front suspension with the tires on and watch for the tires to rub. Identify distance between front bump stop and disc inside spring mount, bolt (or glue) hockey pucks to mount to make up difference.

The rear will be a little more of a PITA because you can't pull the rear springs and cycle the suspension. Back there you will have to jack up one rear tire and hope it hits the body before things get sketchy. Extending the stops in the rear is also a little more of a PITA. Either weld flat bar or square tube to spring clamp plate to hit before the stop hits the axle tube, OR bolt a piece of square tube between the bump stop and the frame rail.

Last edited by bad_idea; 12-19-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bad_idea
The length of the bumpstops is contingent on the size of tire not the height of lift. The bump stops are there to prevent the tires from hitting the Jeep. I'd suggest the best method is to fit the bumpstops to the tires/body of your particular Jeep.

What I did and I suggest you do: Buy extended bump stops, there are limited lengths available. Just buy a good quality set.

Then dial in the front bump stops. Put jack stands under the frame rails, pull the front springs and cycle the front suspension with the tires on and watch for the tires to rub. Identify distance between front bump stop and disc inside spring mount, bolt (or glue) hockey pucks to mount to make up difference.

The rear will be a little more of a PITA because you can't pull the rear springs and cycle the suspension. Back there you will have to jack up one rear tire and hope it hits the body before things get sketchy. Extending the stops in the rear is also a little more of a PITA. Either weld flat bar or square tube to spring clamp plate to hit before the stop hits the axle tube, OR bolt a piece of square tube between the bump stop and the frame rail.

It has all to do with what I mentioned unless it's all stock, what your saying takes flex not into the mix period, not just running on level ground.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:34 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
It has all to do with what I mentioned unless it's all stock, what your saying takes flex not into the mix period, not just running on level ground.
My apologies!!
year, tire size, trimmed fenders, SB disconnects, shocks used, rear SB removed.

So it's a 2001 Sport 4.0 4WD Auto 2DR
Zone 3" Suspension System w/Rear Leaf Springs
31x10.50R15
Stock fenders
No SB disconnects ordered, no SB touched or changed, all stock
Zone Nitro shocks
...may disconnect SB eventually

Just looking for an all-in-one package that has all the stops I need and isn't too expensive. Thanks
Old 12-20-2016, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

There is no set "package". Daystar makes both front and rear stops that are longer than stock. Your best bet is to go flex out the vehicle until your tires get to where you want them to stop. then measure the distance between the spring pad and the bumpstop holder. that is the total length you need for the front. This can be accomplished by a bumpstop alone, or by adding hockey pucks bolted to the spring pad. For the rear, i highly doubt you will find one long enough that will hit the axle tube. Most folks run daystars rear extended bump and weld on a "tab" to the top ubolt plate.

http://www.quadratec.com/categories/...ont-bump-stops
http://www.morris4x4center.com/rear-...xs4aAvIo8P8HAQ

Last edited by WyoCherokee; 12-20-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

I run these in the rear:
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/rear...erokee-xj.html
&
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/4-1-2in-bump-stops.html

The actual bumpstop can be found cheaper.
You may want to try just the plates and use the bumpstop from quadratec that wyo cherokee shared.

Even with all that, my 33" tire hit the body before the bumpstop contacted.
So I'm making some frame side extensions.

Measure the front bumpstop mount an see if it uses a 1.5" or 2" diameter bumpstop and order the daystar extended bumpstop.
They work well.

You may still have to add some to the bottom so heed the previous advice of flex & measure.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I have 2 hockey pucks on each side in the front and these in the rear http://dpgoffroad.com/products/dpg-a...stop-plates-xj

3.5" OME lift on 33x12.5 tires with trimmed fenders.

Last edited by EatonXJ; 12-20-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
There is no set "package". Daystar makes both front and rear stops that are longer than stock. Your best bet is to go flex out the vehicle until your tires get to where you want them to stop. then measure the distance between the spring pad and the bumpstop holder. that is the total length you need for the front. This can be accomplished by a bumpstop alone, or by adding hockey pucks bolted to the spring pad. For the rear, i highly doubt you will find one long enough that will hit the axle tube. Most folks run daystars rear extended bump and weld on a "tab" to the top ubolt plate.

http://www.quadratec.com/categories/...ont-bump-stops
http://www.morris4x4center.com/rear-...xs4aAvIo8P8HAQ

This is the only way to do it properly is to measure and I would suggest that you remove the rear SB and install the front SB disconnects. Then you will get the exact measurements that are required and not have to redo it later with your 31" tires.

One thing effects another with lifts, tires and flex best to do it right the first time. Good luck with your build!