Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building custom front brush gaurd..where do i mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output
Default building custom front brush gaurd..where do i mount

Well I'm going to build a very nice heavy duty stinger type bumper/gaurd and I was wondering, where would I mount/weld it so that no matter how hard or how many times its yanked on by another rig it won't come off?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

you would have to mount it down your unibody, take a look at the JCR tie-ins that they have for their bumpers, you'd want to do something like that.

are you saying your building a whole new bumper? or just something to go over the stock bumper?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Well when I got the jeep it didn't have the front bumper so I made a custom diamond plate bumper. Very light duty. But now I'm getting into the wheelin and normal off road stuff and realize that I need a much better bumper. So I'm going to take the diamond plate one off and build a double tube style bumper then make a stinger style that comes out about a foot at a 45 degree angle. Its gonna be a litte more heavy duty than one you can buy. So I need it to be very solid. Sorry such a long message. If any of that doesn't make sense let me know.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

whatever you do you want to make sure you have a tie-in plate going down the unibody. the JCR one uses 6 bolts on each side and incorporates your steering box (which also strengthens that area a bit)

you dont want to just mount it to the stock location, it'll rip right off

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...dybrackets.jpg
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Ok thank you. Ill take a look at the design and see what I can fabricate. It'll be some time before I do it though cause I'm about to get a set of 33" tires and need to do my 3" custom fab budget lift. The gaurd will prolly come after all that. But I will post pictures of everything that I do to it as I do it.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

yea my old jeep, i had an arb bull bumper and no tie ins, got yanked out and it ripped the bumper off one side crunching the other fender... New bumper is made by JCR with the tie- in brackets and have been tugged with no problem! you need them, that metal on the front isnt strong enough if your burried in the mud..
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.7L

Its nice to see one of us learn from my mistake (op was with me when my bumper unwillingly became a "custom" v...) you can mount a hitch in the front, you can fab up brackets to distribute the pull along the unibody or get a kit for the recovery hooks (like 100$) and mount it off of the brackets included with the hooks, or you can get a cherokee tow plate with a 2 inch receiver and d ring mounts (not big enough for your d rings) for that the tow plate is 115 the brackets to mount it are 47 you could mount your bumper to factory mounting locations and the tow plate let's just say if you manage to rip it off of all that the front half of your xj most likely came with it, however from what I have seen the factory locations for mounting are good enough to withstand a good tug what you need to worry about is if the bumper itself strong enough to take it... (please note with my overkill option you have the ability to pull hard enough to compleatly screw your unibody, where if u were using stock locations the mounting brackets will give out before you do real damage.) I can provide you with catalogs and part numbers as well if you want.

Note to op: zack, joe is coming over tomorrow to install his radiator and I'm probably going to trim my Jeep a little more we would enjoy your help and company
Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.7L
Talking

Ya its custom....
Attached Thumbnails building custom front brush gaurd..where do i mount-img_20110205_160721.jpg  
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Sure no problem. Ill be over after I get home and do my stuff here