Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Boost-VS Springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Engine: 6 CYL HO
Default Budget Boost-VS Springs

I am sure this has been asked 100 times, but I tried to search it and couldn't find it.
I bought a 1994 Jeep XJ. It is going a weekend toy and some trails from time to time. I am planning on hauling it to northern New Mexico once, or twice a year to run the trails in the mountains. I would say that this Jeep is going to spend around 85% of it's time on the street and 15% on the trails, so I would like to keep it drivable on the streets. The trails in NM that we like to run are rough, but not too bad. I have ran them many times in a stock CJ, stock Wrangler, and last year in a stock JKU. It was doable, but there is several places that you are banging the bottom of the Jeep on the ground. I ran it in a Wrangler with a 2" lift and did fine. It still was hitting bottom a few times, but not bad, if you went slow. I am wanting to lift my XJ about 2"- 2.5". It has a good set of 30/9.50/15 tires on it, so I want to run them for now.
When I was in New Mexico a couple of weeks ago, I talked to a few of the guys with XJ that were running the trails. A couple of the guys told me to stay away from the BB pucks, because they can come out on the trails. I talked to another local guy that was running 2.5" pucks and 31" tires. It was pretty much a full time trail rig and showed. He said that he had been running the pucks on all of those trails for two years with no problem.
I am new to the whole XJ thing, so any first hand help would be great.
Here is my questions.
Do you guys know of any problems that come from the pucks on the trails?
Is it really that much better to get the 2.5" springs over the pucks?
I am wanting to keep a good ride on the street still.
Thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

OK, not sure what you man by 'pucks'.

Only things on a cherokee you could mean is a spring spacer, and it'd be dang hard for one of them to come out on the trail, as they are solid rings of hard plastic that go around the bumpstop.

For one to come out, you'd have to have your axle hanging on that side far enough that the spring has come off the bumpstop, and I don't see that happening with stock control arms or with a shock attached.

A cheap spacer may break, but that is the only way I can see one coming out, and I have no clue how you'd manage to break something like that.

Sounds like you need to just get a decent 3" lift kit and be done with it. You can run 30 or 31" tires (31's may rub in some situations), and still have a decent ride.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by TRCM
OK, not sure what you man by 'pucks'.

Only things on a cherokee you could mean is a spring spacer, and it'd be dang hard for one of them to come out on the trail, as they are solid rings of hard plastic that go around the bumpstop.

For one to come out, you'd have to have your axle hanging on that side far enough that the spring has come off the bumpstop, and I don't see that happening with stock control arms or with a shock attached.

A cheap spacer may break, but that is the only way I can see one coming out, and I have no clue how you'd manage to break something like that.

Sounds like you need to just get a decent 3" lift kit and be done with it. You can run 30 or 31" tires (31's may rub in some situations), and still have a decent ride.
Sorry. I should have been more clear. Yes, by puck, I am talking about the spacers. This is why I am asking. I wasn't sure if them coming out was just something you here about, or something that really happens. I have been doing a lot of reading on here and I guess as long as I stay under 3", I should not run into problems.
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Budget boost rides ruff and still running weak old springs. New spring rides smoother and there not wore out. Try and avoid Rough Country systems . They are less expensive for a reason.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Budget boost rides ruff and still running weak old springs. New spring rides smoother and there not wore out. Try and avoid Rough Country systems . They are less expensive for a reason.
You have a good point. My XJ is a 1994 and has 150K miles on it. It is probably do for springs anyway. I had not really thought about that. I know you said to avoid RC, but who do you recommend? I think I am going to try to stay under 3" of lift, because it should still do what I need and I really don't want to get into the expenses that come with going over 3".
Thank you.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

This is one of the more popular kits here. Some build on it or stay with it as it is. Maybe some with it will reply.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html
Old 10-19-2017, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/nk...-chart-211878/
at 3", dont really need a SYE.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/je...mpanies-76868/
really all i can say is buy once cry once. Spend the money on a good 3 to 3.5" lift. it will fit 31's just fine and you will not lose road manners and be prefectly capable for what you need.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Hey man i live in northern New Mexico and probably run the trails you are talkin about.

you want a 2 inch lift huh? http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...j-2-front.html

I run those and love them. My xj gets me all over the trails up here. Hard parts just require a little extra caution like you said.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Hey man i live in northern New Mexico and probably run the trails you are talkin about.

you want a 2 inch lift huh? http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...j-2-front.html

I run those and love them. My xj gets me all over the trails up here. Hard parts just require a little extra caution like you said.
Thank you sir. I will look into these.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Martlor13

How'd you lift the rear?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Kymasabe
How'd you lift the rear?
dorman leaf springs. They gave me 1.5 over stock but settles just a bit. Also havr lift shackles set at 3/4 inch of lift
Old 10-20-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggsly
I know you said to avoid RC, but who do you recommend? I think I am going to try to stay under 3" of lift
Check out the 3" Zone lift. I installed one last weekend...good quality and a good value!

http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...erokee/j21-j22

And free shipping:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by SexyDexy; 10-20-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:04 AM

I'm running a budget boost and have done lots of stuff my friends with "real" lifts and bigger tires won't try and/or can't pull off. Mines only 1 3/4" lifted. I added longer front shocks and mounted the bar pins below the mounts to get the maximum amount of flex and it does great for what it is. The front lower arms limit droop so you can only get so much without modding or going aftermarket. Street/highway driving, crawling, high speed off-road; it does it all pretty well.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:14 AM

Oops, double post.