Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter bulb for nightshaded taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: ATK 4.0L I6 w/ AEM Brute Force inatke, 748 Injectors
Default Brighter bulb for nightshaded taillights?

Eh everybody,
So I just nightshaded my taillights and I wanna get some brighter bulbs so I don't attract the po po's. did some looking on da web and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Any help? Just to FYI I'm keeping the stock lamp housing so all I'm looking for is brighter replacement bulbs, maybe led or something.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I'd suggest removing the "night shade" as it blocks light output...
Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Laredo and 1996 Sport

You have to be careful with bulbs, higher wattage means greater heat and more pull on the electrical system. You risk possible failures with connecters, fuses blowing etc.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/l...acement-bulbs/
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowrange2
X2
Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Year: 1996

If you have any covering on your taillights, you risk potential liability if you are rear ended. Most states will assign fault to you, even if you were rear ended and in the right, as you have a non-legal covering that hinders the light output of your taillights.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

X3...can't stand this mod. Can't stand driving behind people with "murdered" out vehicles, seems ridiculous and pointless to me...
Old 09-21-2012, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Xjtim
X3...can't stand this mod. Can't stand driving behind people with "murdered" out vehicles, seems ridiculous and pointless to me...
this always happens. dont bash his tastes, its his XJ to do with as he pleases. If we all did the same **** to our rigs they'd all be the same freakin rig......boooooooooooo-ring. Answer the dudes question seriously or don't. no need to try to tell him what mods he should or shouldnt do.....THIS is what i cant stand FTR.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Oh and Mranderson, brighter bulbs do USUALLY mean more draw on your elec. system, but that link to the LED's is good. LED's generally draw far less than incandescent even at a much higher brightness.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by stock95sport(for now)
this always happens. dont bash his tastes, its his XJ to do with as he pleases. If we all did the same **** to our rigs they'd all be the same freakin rig......boooooooooooo-ring. Answer the dudes question seriously or don't. no need to try to tell him what mods he should or shouldnt do.....THIS is what i cant stand FTR.
It's the Internet we can bash whoever we want to.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '99 and '91

Originally Posted by jtodaro

If you have any covering on your taillights, you risk potential liability if you are rear ended. Most states will assign fault to you, even if you were rear ended and in the right, as you have a non-legal covering that hinders the light output of your taillights.
Wow I gotta call and check with my provider. Lol that's not good.

I'm going to put one of my stock tail lights on and do some comparison shots. At night there is no noticeable difference. In the day, when its sunny out its a little dimmer than stock. Not by much though. And this is all with stock type bulbs on a 99. Also a lot of the visibility has to do with the prep, sanding down the surface of them is a must if they're dull and dim to begin with.

I kinda want to redo the Soares I have and just shade the yellow or leave a jeep logo on the red...
Old 09-21-2012, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dogger15
It's the Internet we can bash whoever we want to.
yeah but its forum for "Jeep people". I was under the impression we were a decent bunch of people that help fellow Jeepers out, not tell them what they should and shouldnt do to their own vehicles. I'll bash stupid statements and idiocy with the best of them, but not someone's pride and joy.

Just because you "can" doesnt always mean you should. dont like someones mod, dont do it to your rig. trying to make someone bend to what you like instead of what they like seems ridiculous to me, call me crazy.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I blacked mine out the cheap way > removed the bulbs.

Also tinted my windows with Krylon.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '99 and '91

Now that's murdered.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

So, basically, if you were riding down the road in your vehicle at night on the way home from having dinner with your wife and two small kids... You run up on this guy who is stopped in the middle of a back road to wait on a cow to cross the street and run into the back of him because he has his super awesome cool night shade tail lights that can't be seen. Your two kids are killed, you are stuck in a wheel chair for the rest of your life, your wife survives and leaves you for this other guy because of his cool tail lights and working legs.

You'd be good with that because he had the freedom to tint his tail lights and do any modifications that he saw fit?

I wish cops would seriously crack down on this crap.

It's not safe. It's stupid. I don't care if you put 2000 watt bulbs in there it's still not going to be red and as visible.

yeah but its forum for "Jeep people". I was under the impression we were a decent bunch of people that help fellow Jeepers out, not tell them what they should and shouldnt do to their own vehicles. I'll bash stupid statements and idiocy with the best of them, but not someone's pride and joy.

Just because you "can" doesnt always mean you should. dont like someones mod, dont do it to your rig. trying to make someone bend to what you like instead of what they like seems ridiculous to me, call me crazy.

It'd be perfectly fine if the thing never left the road.

There's a bold line that should be drawn between a cool mod and something that can get someone killed. Often enough, people root on the people that do stupid **** like this.

Last edited by Lowrange2; 09-21-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Brighter bulb for nightshaded taillights?