Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bored tb questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default bored tb questions

Ok...i am interested...i have a 98 Cherokee and the owner before me had put a throttle body spacer on it, and i was just kind of wondering is it a noticeable difference to put a bored throttle body on it...i am definitely down for some more power...and i don't care about fuel economy because i drive a damn lifted jeep i wouldn't have bought it if i wanted good gas mileage haha i know that everyone seems to go toward the 62mm throttle body and i am just wondering if its worth it...and also i do have neon injectors, and a borla exhaust with a magnaflow highflow cat
Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

First off, get rid of the tb spacer, its worth its own weight in jelly beans and gives absolutely no noticeable gains. I also have yet to see a dyno sheet from a customer that shows an increase in anything. That being said, a bored throttle body will give you a gain. I hear you need to bore the manifold or the plate below it as well, but don't quote me on that. Best of luck to ya.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 AM

well I am not going to take it off until i get a bored tb for it probably...and i have seen that the opening on the manifold side is 62mm which is the same of the bottom side of the bored tb i am just wondering if it is a noticeable gain before i go and spend some money to figure out it isn't any different
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 AM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by RandyQuickXJ
well I am not going to take it off until i get a bored tb for it probably...and i have seen that the opening on the manifold side is 62mm which is the same of the bottom side of the bored tb i am just wondering if it is a noticeable gain before i go and spend some money to figure out it isn't any different
Before you go thinking this is going to be a big "seat of the pants" noticeable mod it's not. You'll gain a few ponies tops, but it won't be obvious. I'd say boring the throttle body has to be done with several other mods to see a true gain, like new aftermarket header & exaust system and a 99+ intake would go great with a bored TB, but not really worth it by itself.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

If you do have a high flow cat and muffler, you'll see more gain than most do.

Your only as efficient as your smallest bottle neck. In this case it would seem to be the TB.

And if you've already got the TB spacer just leave it. Its not going to hurt. Not gonna help, really, but it's not hurting at this point.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
If you do have a high flow cat and muffler, you'll see more gain than most do.

Your only as efficient as your smallest bottle neck. In this case it would seem to be the TB.

And if you've already got the TB spacer just leave it. Its not going to hurt. Not gonna help, really, but it's not hurting at this point.
How does a highflow cat work really I see it for the ones filled but I looked down mine and it's completely hollow Im not sure if you can get any higher flowing than that.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

We do not allow the discussion of hollowing out cats. I'm sure the previous owner made that illegal modification, but you are correct, there isn't much more high flow than that.

We have a vendor here, mudfrog, that sells actual hih flow cats. Flows almost as unrestricted as a straight pipe with the cleaning effects of a cat.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:48 PM

Well I was just wondering if its even worth it, and my jeep has neon injectors and exhaust and I'm going to get a header here pretty soon too because my exhaust manifold is cracked but its all 2.5 inch exhaust with a magnaflow hi-flow cat and a borla muffler it has just about everything you can do but a bored tb so that's why I was wondering
Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, it is indeed worth it, moreso for you than most.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

With the other mods, the Bored TB is worth it. Look up a member on here named thexjfiles, he sells the bored tb and gives you credit if you send him your old one. Very happy with mine with a 99+ intake manifold, cowl snorkel, headers, and neon injectors. A new exhaust is in the near future to complete everything.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

be careful with bored tb. they can crack or eventually not seal correctly causing erratic idle. i say the best on the market is the 62mm from jeepers and creepers. its solid aluminum. that paired with a flat air deck is good. stay away from BBK
Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Do it! You won't regret it. With your other mods, you should notice a difference.
Removing any bottleneck increases flow. Flow = performance.