Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow By system that dumps in header????

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Blow By system that dumps in header????

So the other day I was at the auto parts store grabbing a small filter to eliminate the blow by going in to my air filter box....I was talking about eliminating the blow by that goes in to intake as well but the guy at the counter told me that they make a kit that you can put a bung in below your O2 sensor bung that shoots the blow by down to the exhaust, that way it doesn't gunk up your intake..... Anyone ever heard of this kit???? I have done a blue million searches and I keep coming up with EGR system which I obviously know that is not what I am looking for..... Can somebody please shed some light on this subject????
Old 06-20-2016, 11:30 AM

Year: 2000

This is simply a method of crank case evacuation. Common on older hot-rod drag race type cars. Instead of the intake sucking blow-by vapors out, it uses a venturi tube in the exhaust stream to create negative pressure, a check valve to keep exhaust from pressurizing the crankcase,and a breather for the crank case. works well on high revving(fast exhaust) engines with no mufflers(no restrictions).

Thats the quick and dirty....
Old 06-20-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by wrongwheeldrive
This is simply a method of crank case evacuation. Common on older hot-rod drag race type cars. Instead of the intake sucking blow-by vapors out, it uses a venturi tube in the exhaust stream to create negative pressure, a check valve to keep exhaust from pressurizing the crankcase,and a breather for the crank case. works well on high revving(fast exhaust) engines with no mufflers(no restrictions).

Thats the quick and dirty....
So what are those systems called exactly?
Old 06-20-2016, 02:31 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by KY97XJ
Crank case evacuation systems. each brand calls it something different but you could get it from Jegs, Moroso, Allstar performance....etc.

Cant see a Cherokee as a good candidate for one of these systems, but you dont know till you try.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

could also get a catch can.........but you'll have to dump it every now & then.

good thing is you don't blow the oil out into the people space or all over the car behind you.

Also, the crankcase evac system he told you about will only clog up your cat & muffler
Old 06-20-2016, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

The smoker.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:14 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-120108/overview/
Old 06-28-2016, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A oil catch can would be easier to install.This is how it works http://oilcatchcan.com/
Old 06-28-2016, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
A oil catch can would be easier to install.This is how it works http://oilcatchcan.com/
The only issue with a catch can I see is that the rear blow by has to have a vacuum pulling on it so I don't believe a catch can would work....
Old 06-28-2016, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

The only issue with a catch can I see is that the rear blow by has to have a vacuum pulling on it so I don't believe a catch can would work....

huh ??

The catch can goes between the pcv valve and the intake or air filter, depending on the system.....removes oil from the vapors before they get burned in the cylinder.

Last edited by TRCM; 06-28-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
huh ??

The catch can goes between the pcv valve and the intake or air filter, depending on the system.....removes oil from the vapors before they get burned in the cylinder.
OK so I kinda see where you were going with the catch can Idea, however I have already eliminated the forward blow-by with a small filter because it didn't require vacuum.... You aren't getting my point in this..... I do not want the blow-by waste in my system anywhere, not in my air cleaner and certainly not in my intake.... That is why I was so interested in the kit that puts it in below the O2 sensor and burns it off in the exhaust..... bye bye blow-by....
Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

^
Not gonna happen, motor oil contains flame retardant, just end up with a gooey mess. Dribble can or rebuild.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
^
Not gonna happen, motor oil contains flame retardant, just end up with a gooey mess. Dribble can or rebuild.
Thanks for the negativity
Old 06-28-2016, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

OK so I kinda see where you were going with the catch can Idea, however I have already eliminated the forward blow-by with a small filter because it didn't require vacuum.... You aren't getting my point in this..... I do not want the blow-by waste in my system anywhere, not in my air cleaner and certainly not in my intake.... That is why I was so interested in the kit that puts it in below the O2 sensor and burns it off in the exhaust..... bye bye blow-by....
If by this, you mean you put a filter on the valve cover or on the end of a hose, then you are defeating your desire, as that filter will stop oil residue, then when it starts getting clogged up, the crap just drips back into the inside of the engine, which is where you don't want it.

and no, it wouldn't be bye bye blow by....you'd still have that.....you're just sharing your blow by with the rest of the world in a not so good way.

Thanks for the negativity
Sorry dude, but it's true...all you'll do is make your jeep a fogging machine.....

Those systems are designed for race cars that don't run very long. A catch can is what you need, but you don't seem to understand how they work.

I have one on my Ram...I put it on to keep the blow by residue from getting into my throttle body & intake, and I put it on when the truck had less than 8k miles on it, and it has less than 17k on it now, 4 yrs later.

Not sure what you mean by forward blow by....blow by is blow by...no such thing as forward or rearward or whatever you are thinking.

And the crap isn't in your intake, or filter, it gets trapped in the can, then you dump it out. Unless you are stupid and don't dump it, it'll never get in your intake or filter. The only way that will happen is if it overfills....cuz it wasn't dumped out.

What you want to do is the same as pouring oil on the road as you drive......

Last edited by TRCM; 06-29-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And some catch cans have a sight glass on the side so you can see how full it is with out opening it.

Quick Reply: Blow By system that dumps in header????