Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way to get 2 inches With Upcountry

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Best Way to get 2 inches With Upcountry

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a great answer when I searched.. I have a new Upcountry setup coil/leaf springs and new shocks form the guy I just bought my 98 Classic from. Should be about a 1" lift from that. I want to add 2 more inches to be able to put on some 31 inch tires. I've heard spacers should to the trick. Any suggestions? I don't do hardly any off roading as of yet but really like the look of 31s as opposed to going 235s. My wheels are factory allow 5 spokers 15x7. I may change them out as well. Not sure if going to a 15x8 will affect clearance as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

So you want 3 inches of lift total? Why didn't you just get a 3 inch kit to begin with?
Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
So you want 3 inches of lift total? Why didn't you just get a 3 inch kit to begin with?
Bought it with the upcountry from previous owner.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

I would just get 3 inch leafs and coils. You'll be happier that you did
Old 03-08-2017, 12:41 PM

Maybe it's not much more $ to do that. Just feels like a waste on the new ones already in there. Will the ride better as opposed to spacers?
Old 03-08-2017, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Mechanically Declined
Maybe it's not much more $ to do that. Just feels like a waste on the new ones already in there. Will the ride better as opposed to spacers?
Well you woukd need spacers for the front and shackles or aal in the rear....but keep in mind at 3 inches of lift it is a good idea to get longer control arms, trackbar, and longer braklines as well. You may also get driveline vibes so an sye may be necessary. Just keep that in mind. Most kits do not come with these parts so don't think you don't need them. Whether you go with a kit or not you still may need these parts. Companies just sell you the bare bones to make the lift look affordable.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Well you woukd need spacers for the front and shackles or aal in the rear....but keep in mind at 3 inches of lift it is a good idea to get longer control arms, trackbar, and longer braklines as well. You may also get driveline vibes so an sye may be necessary. Just keep that in mind. Most kits do not come with these parts so don't think you don't need them. Whether you go with a kit or not you still may need these parts. Companies just sell you the bare bones to make the lift look affordable.
Thanks for the advice. Hell, I may just stick with the 235s as I know the ride will be good. We've talked about tires already haha. I'm still looking. Will going from 15x7 to 15x8 or 15x9 affect tire clearance?
Old 03-08-2017, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the advice. Hell, I may just stick with the 235s as I know the ride will be good. We've talked about tires already haha. I'm still looking. Will going from 15x7 to 15x8 or 15x9 affect tire clearance?
I would stick with where you are if you don't need to lift. Yeah haha I remember your thread. It really shouldn't, but I wouldn't go 15x9. Too wide of a rim
Old 03-08-2017, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a great answer when I searched.. I have a new Upcountry setup coil/leaf springs and new shocks form the guy I just bought my 98 Classic from. Should be about a 1" lift from that. I want to add 2 more inches to be able to put on some 31 inch tires. I've heard spacers should to the trick. Any suggestions? I don't do hardly any off roading as of yet but really like the look of 31s as opposed to going 235s. My wheels are factory allow 5 spokers 15x7. I may change them out as well. Not sure if going to a 15x8 will affect clearance as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.
My 97 has the up county package and I did a 3" trailmaster lift with all new springs and I went with 31x10.5s on 15x8 wheels with a 3.75 backspace. I only had to trim a little bit on the inside of the front bumper to keep them from rubbing and I love the way the 3.75 backspace makes the wheels stick out. A buddy of mine did a 3" lift on his and put 31x10.50s on the stock wheels and it would rub slightly on the controll arms at full lock.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

If you want to keep the OEM upcountry that is currently installed, just get some adjustable shackles for the back and spacers for the front. If you go up an inch to an inch and a half over what you have now you should be able to keep everything you have. Going higher you will need a track bar, and you will need to relocate the brake lines or get new ones, and need new shocks. If you go to 3 inches you should figure $150 for a track bar. You can get JK wrangler shocks used, almost new, for around $80 for all four on Ebay or Craigslist. Below is a thread that has a chart for what you need as you lift. As others have already said 3 inches is minimum for 31's. at 2.5 you will fit 30's (right now you have 29's). There is a " low cog" thread to fit the biggest tires will minimal lift. There is some good info on there that might interest you.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/nk...-chart-211878/

here is a link to compare tire sizes

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

low cog thread

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/lo...24-12-a-32980/

good luck on your decision

Last edited by mikesignal; 03-09-2017 at 12:20 PM.