Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best hill climbing set up

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default best hill climbing set up

I was wondering what some of yawl thought would be the best hill climbing set up I am new to the off roadin part however my father owns a shop so I am very mechanically inclined we went to lbl last weekend and I could not climb some of the hill I wanted too. I have a Cherokee with a 4.5 lift and Spartan lockers and 31 10-50 15 tires wild country’s. my thoughts are skidding the whole bottom from bumper to bumper solid and putting some 15x12 rims with some skid steer tires on it making it like a budget buggy I have seen them things and the can climb some nice hills for only 2 wheel drive any thoughts would be great. It seems that long and low can really go up hills
Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

Why couldn't you clime them. Were they rocky or muddy. Or just to steep. In my opinion your tires are small for a 4.5" lift. I would trim the fenders and run 33-35's If your locked in the front you should get some cromo shafts to run 35's. Your tires also aren't the most aggressive. TSL's are still one of the best all around tires. Pit-bulls are close to the best in my opinion. If you run those be vary light on the pedal They DIG! If they are to steep you can use a front winch as a suck down to keep you from going over backwards.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:38 PM

I climbed both there and had no problem with the rocks the clay seemed to gum up the tires some I thought about cutting some lugs out to clean out better I have some 35 toyo on another jeep. what are cromo shafts and what makes them special I have cut my fenders I could run 35 easy but with those light axles I don’t want to break every time I go out i also have lockers front and back
Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

My spell check hates me I was referring to axle shafts made from harder material. You can buy them at Ranys Ring and Pinon and a ton more places. I have a buddy running 33's locked front and rear and rarely brakes. I think in 2 years he has once. He still runs stock shafts. And goes almost were ever he wants. He is a slow and steady driver that draws a crowd. He will get on it but only if he has to. Clay is going to gum up any tire.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: inline 6 4.0 L

lowering the air pressure may have gotten you up those hills if traction was the problem. 31's are usually ran with a 3" lift untrimmed and your rig should be runnin atleast 33's. a lot depends on if this is a DD. if it's not and you off road a lot you should look into some dana 40's or 44's and having a gear swap done. used axle and new gears is gonna run you about 600-1000 just depending on how much you wanna step up
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Yea I know bigger tires and heavier axles and lower gears more horse power you are able to get those results. You see that time and time again. But when seeing rail buggy’s climb hill that your jeep cant and make it up without all that stuff and there are only two wheel drive and most of the time they have some type of 31 tire and very little suspension. Makes you wonder why they can do it and you can’t. it’s like a Baja truck they sit low for the flex the flex they have and don’t seem to run very large tires as some of these rock climbers. I was looking for something more out of the box…
Old 11-30-2011, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

Low pressure and winching your front down will do the best for ya. Xj's have a long wheelbase so normally they climb well. Cut boggers don't hurt the effort either
Old 11-30-2011, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to Advanced Tech.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Low pressure and winching your front down will do the best for ya. Xj's have a long wheelbase so normally they climb well. Cut boggers don't hurt the effort either. If u want to climb all hills.....buy an MJ, mine shoots down bigger rigs all the time! Long wheelbase gets it done!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

You have to remember that rail buggies weigh alot less than a jeep, less weight is sand makes it easier for you to get around. Sounds to me you just need better tires.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

^^^ ding ding ding. Those buggies arent weighing in at over 3000 lbs, so obviously they travel the sand a lot better
Old 11-30-2011, 12:53 PM

How is this not in jeep build I’m trying so see what would be the best what to build it …… kinda makes sense to me nothing advanced about that.. maybe if I was wanting to drop a 350 chevy in or something like then that would be different. Yea I know what you’re saying about sand…. but this was a mix of all three sand rock and mud at land between the lakes the solid rocks was no problem . And ding ding ding it has to do with power weight ratio traction and stance . I wanted to know ideas. Not cynical comments . I guess if I wanted the ultimate hill climber I would buy a tank with tracts
· If you go to a wider stance you should be able to stay out of the slick ruts
· If your lower than most this should help you with flipping
· And if you run smaller tires you have better clean out due to higher rpms for the little 6 banger
Old 11-30-2011, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tbusby
How is this not in jeep build I’m trying so see what would be the best what to build it …… kinda makes sense to me nothing advanced about that.. maybe if I was wanting to drop a 350 chevy in or something like then that would be different. Yea I know what you’re saying about sand…. but this was a mix of all three sand rock and mud at land between the lakes the solid rocks was no problem . And ding ding ding it has to do with power weight ratio traction and stance . I wanted to know ideas. Not cynical comments . I guess if I wanted the ultimate hill climber I would buy a tank with tracts
· If you go to a wider stance you should be able to stay out of the slick ruts
· If your lower than most this should help you with flipping
· And if you run smaller tires you have better clean out due to higher rpms for the little 6 banger
4.0s have plenty of torque to clean of tires, have u ever tried/seen someone lower their rears to about 10psi and winch down their front axle? I guess this only works if you have a winch tho. Another great trick is a heavy right foot to get forward momentum built up. I always try to go over to the right or left a little so I can try to avoid the ruts. With my front winches down I can easily see over the hood the whole time and never have to get out of it b/c it feels like its goin over. I kinda try to use my forward momentum to avoid the ruts and if that doesn't work I hope the momentum will bounce me out of them. But the best thing to do is have seat time in your jeep. If you know exactly what it can do you can comfortably push it harder. Hope this helps
Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Oh and if you want a strict climber you will never beat a set of boggers with the center lug removed called "cut". Ive also never seen bobcat tires on a jeep, that would be sweet and similar to a cut tire. Prolly dig real good! Hope I diddnt make too many cynical comments! Lol. Just letting ya know what me and my buddy's have ha d luck with.

Last edited by Trev1006; 11-30-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

How is this not in jeep build I’m trying so see what would be the best what to build it …… kinda makes sense to me nothing advanced about that.. maybe if I was wanting to drop a 350 chevy in or something like then that would be different.
The Build Section is for documenting your ongoing build. Not for questions on how or what to build.

The Advanced Tech section is for asking questions about modifying your Cherokee beyond stock.

Since this isn't documenting a current build, the thread should be in Advanced Tech.

Quick Reply: best hill climbing set up