Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent 8.8 Axle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, 6.0 in the works
Default Bent 8.8 Axle

My girlfriend was driving behind me the other day and she said my wheel was wobbling. I checked and everything is tight. I swapped the wheels and the same one is still wobbling so I have to assume that the axle is bent. I want to go ahead and replace both of them. Is there any reason why some stockers wouldn't do the trick? I don't think I want to spent the money on the c-clip eliminators unless someone can convince me that that's necessary. I'll probably just order a set from Seriousoffroad and call it a day. Any suggestions?
Old 06-01-2015, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

When u had the wheel off, did u check the run out with a dial indicator to see if it's actually bent?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:28 PM

I haven't gotten a chance to do that. I have the stuff I need to do it just not the time. I'll get it up on stands and check it out before I drop any cash on it. Obviously I'd rather spend it differently.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by axekick
I haven't gotten a chance to do that. I have the stuff I need to do it just not the time. I'll get it up on stands and check it out before I drop any cash on it. Obviously I'd rather spend it differently.
yep that's what I would do too..
Old 06-02-2015, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would try what xjwonders said to see if its really the axle bent or a rim.Unless your running bigger then a 35 i would just use factory axles.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:23 AM

I got to check the runout on those axles yesterday. There was a measureable amount at the end of the axle on the right. Near the edge of the rotor it was a solid .030" of runout. I have no doubt that the right axle is bent. The left one had a little bit of runout but it is probably an acceptable amount. However, I went ahead and ordered a pair of AlloyUSA axles from Serious today. That should smooth things out a little. I'll update after I get them installed.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by axekick
I got to check the runout on those axles yesterday. There was a measureable amount at the end of the axle on the right. Near the edge of the rotor it was a solid .030" of runout. I have no doubt that the right axle is bent. The left one had a little bit of runout but it is probably an acceptable amount. However, I went ahead and ordered a pair of AlloyUSA axles from Serious today. That should smooth things out a little. I'll update after I get them installed.

Not to sound like that idiot guy on here, but can someone explain what runout is and how to check it i believe my axle is bent but i need a way to check and this would do just the trick i bet, please and thank you!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NMJeep01
Not to sound like that idiot guy on here, but can someone explain what runout is and how to check it i believe my axle is bent but i need a way to check and this would do just the trick i bet, please and thank you!

If you applied a dial indicator to the hub of the axle and spun the axle slowly......the needle should not move.

If it moves.....it's measuring your run-out.

You can place a fixed object next to the hub (like a speed square on a concrete block) and turn the axle. If you can eyeball any in and out movement against the square.....it's bent.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: stock I6

Originally Posted by NMJeep01
May be there is some confusion, perhaps it's me? The OP is talking about bent axle shaft not axle housing. You put the back of your truck on stands, remove wheels and spin the drive shaft. If your shafts are bent the rotors/drums will wobble, showing runout. you may need to put some lug nuts back on to hold everything tight.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:04 AM

Exactly. The flange on the axle shaft isn't perpendicular to the shaft. I'm guessing that the explorer that the 8.8 came out of was slid over a curb sideways. My new axle shafts are here. I should get them in next week.