Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bad Steering Box

I've been having problems with my jeep having d.w and now it's worse then ever. I went wheeling with a buddy in the ice/water and since the day after my jeep gets death wobble as soon as i get to about 40mph. I've already checked all the stuff on the list, did ball joints yesterday and it's still there. All my tie rods are good, track bar is tight, bushings are good, lugs are torqued down to spec.

As i cruse down the streets, i can feel like a shimmy and if i don't accelerate, it throws d.w at me, could this be a tire balance issue?

After i went playing in the snow, my steering box has been leaking like a siv, it's not a line leaking, it's coming from around the top of the box itself. Im getting desperate to fix this, and im about to invest in a durango box to see if it helps. Any feed back would be nice.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 AM

DW:
make absolutely sure your trackbar mounting bracket bolts are tight with a breaker bar. there have been so guys that say they are tight and then i show up and tighten them down a bunch more. you dont know until you throw the 18mm 1/2 breaker bar on there.
everytime i head home from the trail and i get DW its due to a loose axle side frame side or bracket bolts

make sure your tires are balanced.
i had some badly worn swampers casue DW.
got new front tires and all was well.

check control arm bushings

check TRES on your steering .
if they are old and you cant remember the last time you replaced them,
then go buy a ZJ steering setup at the junk yard for cheap and call it good

ball joints will casue more wandering than DW, but can still cause DW, but you would notice wandering way before DW.

bent housing?

just for the hell of it check your toe in as well. doesnt hurt . if any TREs are worn out then you wont be able to adjust your alignment and that would also likely casue DW.

why do you think its the box?

zj steering and tires balanced are cheap . so are control arm bushings.
get a used box if you swap it out...
Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

The first thing i checked is the trackbar, bolts are deff tight, even through the biggest bolt i could fit in it. I have r.e adj uppers with the superflex joints which are on there way out (building long arms) this is the 3rd jeep these tires have been on so they are quite used, but it wasn't nearly as bad before i played in the ice/water. Theres a bit of play on the tre that connects to the pitman arm, but nothing to bad. Tie rod has been sleeved so that isn't bent that i can tell. I plan on checking the toe sometime soon.

The thing i don't quite understand is it shimmys at 40 (mis balance?) then if i accel, it goes away until i decell.