Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

axle shaft thickness related to spline count

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default axle shaft thickness related to spline count

dont make fun of me for asking this but iv been wheeling for 20+ years and have assumed that in relation to spline count that the thickness of an axle would be the same - example - a dana 35 axle with upgraded shafts and carrier to a 33 spline count axle is the same thickness as a dana 44 or ford 8.8 33 spline count axle - is this correct? i understand that there are many other variales that makes larger axles better and stronger such as tube diamiter, ring gear thickness, oil pick up, high and low pinions, etc. but im just woundering if the spline counts are the same if the axle thickness is the same.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Negative, all D35 shafts are the same size. I don't know if there are custom diameters but the upgraded shafts are more splines and chromoly. Likewise C8.25 27-spline and 29-spline are otherwise identical.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends on the axle.
Example being your Dana30.
30 spline alloy shafts are bigger and require a new carrier and new inner shaft seals.

Another, Dana 60 30 spline vs 35 spline...HUGE difference.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM

Engine: I 4.0

Originally Posted by salad
Negative, all D35 shafts are the same size. I don't know if there are custom diameters but the upgraded shafts are more splines and chromoly. Likewise C8.25 27-spline and 29-spline are otherwise identical.
That's not true. There is a big difference in shaft diameter at the neck down between the c8.25 27 spline and 29 spline. They have different carriers, bearings, etc...
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Sorry I'm full of ****. Should have searched in the first place.

C8.25 29-spline is 1.21" diameter, 27-spline is 1.17". I thought they were direct swaps aside from the side gears
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by blue dog
dont make fun of me for asking this but iv been wheeling for 20+ years and have assumed that in relation to spline count that the thickness of an axle would be the same - example - a dana 35 axle with upgraded shafts and carrier to a 33 spline count axle is the same thickness as a dana 44 or ford 8.8 33 spline count axle - is this correct? i understand that there are many other variales that makes larger axles better and stronger such as tube diamiter, ring gear thickness, oil pick up, high and low pinions, etc. but im just woundering if the spline counts are the same if the axle thickness is the same.
No, different axles such as a GM 14bff axle with 30 spline shafts has the same 1.5 inch diameter as a Dana 60 with 35 spline shafts. They use different spline pitches so the spline count and diameter are usually different.

The Dana 35 upgraded axle is a 30 spline, the Dana 44 has a 33 and a 35 spline upgrade available, while the Ford 8.8 axle spline count is either 28 or 31 splines, and I don't really know if there is an axle upgrade for it.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Seasoned Member

i thought i read some wr that you could upgrade a dana 35 to 33 spline axles - and yes iv always understood that axle seals and carriers have to be changed but i was just woundering if the entire axle gets thicker or just the side that plunges into the carrier? like i said, i have never taken apart an axle and i assumed that most axles tapered down so it could slide into the carrier and that was the main area that got larger but the shaft of the axle only got marginally bigger. - and also if some dana 60's have 30 splines (aside from other factors such as ring and pinion gear size and axle tube strength) could you build your dana 35 to be ALMOST as strong as some dana 44's or even some dana 60's / or even build your front dana 30 to be as strong as a dana 44. and by strength i refer to being reliable with 35-37" tires and a light foot.

i have a buddy wheeling a TJ with stock axles who swears by trussing and gutting your stock axles and rebuilding and he is running 38's.

iv just been doing some pricing around at new axles ($3000 roughly for rear dana 60 and $3500 for front dana 44, both with lookers) vs rebuilding what i have to make it stronger. if i built what i have or even at the least swapped in a ford 8.8 for the rear and built that up i could build it up in stages Vs shelling out all the money at once.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Seasoned Member

this somewhat answered my questions
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...5/viewall.html

has anybody used the warn setup? i wounder how much stronger than stock it is. i like the idea of a full floating axle for ease of repair and for ability to tow the jeep.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Considering the cost, an axle swap would be far more effective.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

Aren't the Super 35 kit shafts only 30 spline?

I found stock D35 shafts are larger than stock C8.25 (27-spline) due to the neck-down. I was surprised to learn that.

C8.25, D35
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.8

just a few interesting facts..

C8.25 axle bearings and seals are the same for 27 or 29sp
D44 axle bearings and seals are the same for 30, 33 or 35spline.
D35 axle bearings and seals are the same for 27 or 30spline.

That only effect the outer end of the shafts though.

I do know that on each of those above that each spline count increase does effectively increase the smallest OD on the shaft.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply

I do know that on each of those above that each spline count increase does effectively increase the smallest OD on the shaft.
Thanks, I didn't think I was totally off with my original comment
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by blue dog
i thought i read some wr that you could upgrade a dana 35 to 33 spline axles - and yes iv always understood that axle seals and carriers have to be changed but i was just woundering if the entire axle gets thicker or just the side that plunges into the carrier? like i said, i have never taken apart an axle and i assumed that most axles tapered down so it could slide into the carrier and that was the main area that got larger but the shaft of the axle only got marginally bigger. - and also if some dana 60's have 30 splines (aside from other factors such as ring and pinion gear size and axle tube strength) could you build your dana 35 to be ALMOST as strong as some dana 44's or even some dana 60's / or even build your front dana 30 to be as strong as a dana 44. and by strength i refer to being reliable with 35-37" tires and a light foot.

i have a buddy wheeling a TJ with stock axles who swears by trussing and gutting your stock axles and rebuilding and he is running 38's.

iv just been doing some pricing around at new axles ($3000 roughly for rear dana 60 and $3500 for front dana 44, both with lookers) vs rebuilding what i have to make it stronger. if i built what i have or even at the least swapped in a ford 8.8 for the rear and built that up i could build it up in stages Vs shelling out all the money at once.
I agree with serious offroad.

Building a super D35 for 37" tires is polishing a turd with less bang for your buck. There is no way at all that any d35 can be anywhere near as strong as a d60 or 44 no matter what you do to it. (Because ring and pinion size as well as carrier size has everything to do with axle assembly strength) I'm not saying that d35s are worthless, just that if you need tougher axles put bigger ones under there. You can find ford 8.8s at JY or auto parts recycling centers and build them to your needs for a h*ll of a lot less then $3000-$3500.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply

Correct, but the carrier bearings and consequently the carriers themselves are different sizes because of the axle OD difference
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by schirm
I agree with serious offroad.

Building a super D35 for 37" tires is polishing a turd with less bang for your buck. There is no way at all that any d35 can be anywhere near as strong as a d60 or 44 no matter what you do to it. (Because ring and pinion size as well as carrier size has everything to do with axle assembly strength) I'm not saying that d35s are worthless, just that if you need tougher axles put bigger ones under there. You can find ford 8.8s at JY or auto parts recycling centers and build them to your needs for a h*ll of a lot less then $3000-$3500.
i agree that putting a larger axle is always the way to go - but i was just pondering building up the axles for a couple reason - 1st, i already have them and they fit, 2nd i can do it a little at a time, and 3rd is they have a little better GC than upgrading to a larger axle.
-and the reason i thought about buying new is it will be "NEW" - new seals, new bearings, new everything. yes you can buy a junkyard housing but by the time you put new seals, brakes and everything in it you would have close to the cost of a new axle if you added your labor time and you still wont have a warranty. yes you could find one with decent brakes and hope the seals are good enough and the bearings are good enough but if im going to put an axle under my truck i want it to be trouble free and all new parts. a junk yard dana 44 front and JY ford 8.8 rear does sound very tempting and i could just keep them in my shop to build over time but a ford 8.8 full floater kit with locking hubs for the rear is not available anymore and i plan on flat towing or using a tow dollie and do not want to disconect the rear drive shaft.

Quick Reply: axle shaft thickness related to spline count