Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATK engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ATK engines

i am needing a new engine in my xj and am looking at an ATK reman 4.0 does any one know if they are any good
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 PM

Year: 1998

I used to work for them a decade ago. They were decent engines but they use the cheapest of cheap parts and do as little machine work as possible. They also aren't afraid of boring the engine .060 no matter how thin the factory castings are known to be. Also, I have seen the warranty guy invent miniscule ways to keep from having to pay a warranty claim against their workmanship. While it's easier to just order one from the store and boom it's there... I'd suggest getting a good core from a u-pull yard and have a local machine shop do the rebuild on it. The money stays local and the the rebuild is likely going to be a much better job. There are more reasons why I wouldn't suggest them to anyone but that's not forum suitable.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, for a perspective on the other end of the scale...

I put an ATK longblock in my 98 in November of 2011. So far, so great. Runs well. Good power. No weird noises. Did the swap myself. Three year, unlimited mileage warranty. I have about 15k miles on mine with no issues. With a 2" lift, Spartan rear locker, and roof rack I'm getting about 19 on the highway. About 14.2 mixed city/highway.

Also, I work about a quarter mile from their remanufacturing facility on North Carrier Parkway in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Member

thanks on both ends guys im going to put one in seeing as here in las vegas every one wants almost 5K to rebuild it plus ATK has a name built for them and every company has a bad side just wish i was back home i could rebuild it my self and just do a head swap
Old 05-05-2013, 02:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Used them plenty of times you should be fine.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I would trust the guy that use to work there.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big David
I would place value on the opinions of someone who worked there as well. However, his comments on the quality of their parts was based on what he saw when he worked for them 10 years ago. A lot can change in a decade. Not saying it has for the better, but it could. ATK has switched ownership in the last three years as well. I'm weighing that against my own positive and current experience with an ATK in my own daily driver, and the fact that I see them using ATK engines on Overhaulin'. I know Chip Foose has to pay the bills like everybody else, but his reputation is built on using quality parts and doing it right. I don't think he'd knowingly take a chance on putting a crap motor in one of his dream car builds.

At the end of the day, I think a rebuilt engine is kinda like many other products sold as refurbished. You take your chances with them, but you save some bucks. Call for a price on a Mopar crate engine and the gamble on an ATK starts to look very appealing. And there are no guarantees on factory stuff either. Look no further than the head cracking issue on later models as an example.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big David
Depends on how he left also. Was he fired or find a better job.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:04 PM

I was laid off on my birthday after they told us they were moving operations to Texas. I should have went with them. But I will agree, things might have changed in 10 years. Granted Scott Miller did finally take my idea of offering performance engines dynoed and warrantied... They seem to have upped their quality since then. Scott was a good guy who was a racer and petrol head from way back. He's the reason I got into 351 Clevelands.

I still would not suggest buying a factory boosted engine from them though. Such as the Ford 2.3 turbo. They likely still throw away the factory Ford forged pistons and put in correctly shaped hyperucraptic pistons.

On the flip side, if you just need a cheap engine, ask about their 1 year 12,000 mile engines with the X*** part numbers. Almost half price.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

I have sold at least a dozen reman engines from ATK. None have come back yet.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

well i just went with the ATK remaned 4.0L straight six long block factory swap but good news is even with three pistons melted 6 rods bent and many other problems (thanks to big o tire they forgot to put coolant back in it) it limped into the shop on its own power smoking and shaking just cant kill the 4.0 lol
Old 06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anymore updates on ATK engines? I'm thinking of going for one myself. I don't have a core, machine shops aren't calling me back either and the guy who is local to me was supposed to sell me one off of here but he is too busy I guess.

Originally Posted by USAF richards
well i just went with the ATK remaned 4.0L straight six long block factory swap but good news is even with three pistons melted 6 rods bent and many other problems (thanks to big o tire they forgot to put coolant back in it) it limped into the shop on its own power smoking and shaking just cant kill the 4.0 lol
Aren't you from Sullivan? Did you get the engine installed yet? Let me know what you think. Out of all the long blocks, ATK sounds like the best. Even the BBB rates them an A...lots of others are rated F, for what that's worth.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Yes I am from sullivan mo. So far it has been grate the only things I did different from factory was put a higher flow rate water pump and a 165F thermo to help with the heat out here in the desert I also put some hood vents on it and I am back to running a little below 210 when a lot of the other xj's out here are running around 220
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USAF richards
Yes I am from sullivan mo. So far it has been grate the only things I did different from factory was put a higher flow rate water pump and a 165F thermo to help with the heat out here in the desert I also put some hood vents on it and I am back to running a little below 210 when a lot of the other xj's out here are running around 220
Good deal, glad it's working out. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one. It's either that or pony up a little more for the Golen engine.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Seasoned Member

By the way how did you know I was from sullivan

Quick Reply: ATK engines