Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashtray swith panel...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Ashtray swith panel...

Okay, I have used the wonderful search feature and found a wealth of information. I'm capable of turning wrenches, but for whatever reason..Current and electricity and I don't have a great relationship.
I own a 97 XJ sport. I will be mounting A-Pillar lights as soon as they get here. I will be adding a set of reverse lights. Bumper is on the way and I will be adding lights to that as well.
I do have a couple questions.
1. I really like the design and idea of the "Fitch box", but I don't understand how it works and what all is entailed in the wiring set up with the cat 5 and what not. If anyone has any idea about how to explain that do a dummy, that would be fantastic. The other issue is how to locate that box where the RKE sensor is? I don't use the RKE, but I'd hate to remove it. Sell me on the idea.
2. How would one set up the Ashtray idea with relays and all? I would need a total of 4 switches. I can't see how to remove the ashtray structure. I would really like to do something in a clear plexi or even a brushed aluminum finish in order to give it a different look.
Thanks so much for any information.
Sigsandjeeps
Old 10-08-2011, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by sigsandjeeps
Okay, I have used the wonderful search feature and found a wealth of information. I'm capable of turning wrenches, but for whatever reason..Current and electricity and I don't have a great relationship.
I own a 97 XJ sport. I will be mounting A-Pillar lights as soon as they get here. I will be adding a set of reverse lights. Bumper is on the way and I will be adding lights to that as well.
I do have a couple questions.
1. I really like the design and idea of the "Fitch box", but I don't understand how it works and what all is entailed in the wiring set up with the cat 5 and what not. If anyone has any idea about how to explain that do a dummy, that would be fantastic. The other issue is how to locate that box where the RKE sensor is? I don't use the RKE, but I'd hate to remove it. Sell me on the idea.
2. How would one set up the Ashtray idea with relays and all? I would need a total of 4 switches. I can't see how to remove the ashtray structure. I would really like to do something in a clear plexi or even a brushed aluminum finish in order to give it a different look.
Thanks so much for any information.
Sigsandjeeps

well i looked to the fitch box for my panel, but i got my CB mounted were its suppose to go, so i just used the spot that is in front of the shifter. the wiring for the switch box is fairly simple. power form the battery (+) goes to a master switch, what comes out of the master switch is all the power that goes to what ever switch u want controlled by the master switch. the CAT 5 cable is just a signal wire that he (and I) used because it has multiple cables that are already insulated from one another inside the blue coating.

heres a pic of the wiring diagram he made of how it gets wired and another of my switch panel. on mine, the master switch (big red on the left) only controls the 3 on far right because they are for lights, and the other 2 are for engine fans and i didnt want them wired to the master switch
Attached Thumbnails Ashtray swith panel...-switchpanel02_wiring.jpg   Ashtray swith panel...-dsc05151.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 03:12 PM

That's phenomenal info. My new question is...
My main power switch is a 2 prong and the rest of my switches are 3 prong...I'm not running l.e.d. lights separate from my switches. The switches I have are all lighted switches.
Can you help me with that info?
Also, can you fill me in on what you did for the relay box? pictures would help great as electricity and I are not friends.

Thanks
Sigsandjeeps

Last edited by sigsandjeeps; 10-09-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

as far as wiring the master switch, its pretty easy, just have power go into the switch on 1 prong, and the wire on the other prong goes to the power prongs on all the other switches.

for the relay box i just got a small box for like a dollar, put some relays in and ran the wires to it. i will post pics in a minuet
Old 10-09-2011, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

the main thing to remember is which wire goes were on the relay.
Pin 30-- power (+)
Pin 86-- Ground (-)
Pin 85-- Switch (cat 5)
Pin 87-- to Acc. (light, fan...)
Attached Thumbnails Ashtray swith panel...-dsc05160.jpg   Ashtray swith panel...-dsc05159.jpg   Ashtray swith panel...-dsc05157.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 04:26 PM

That looks like a total cluster !@#$. Thank you for helpin out. I just got my switch panel finished and fitment is great.
Since I have 1 Master switch and 4 acc. switches, How many relays will I need?
Will I need to run a fuse to each switch?
Is the CAT5 cable with all the individual wires, going to be be big enough (separate wires) to hold the current it will be running through it?
What size relays do I need and is there any more info you care to share so as I don't fry my **** in the process of doing this?
Where do you keep that box?

Thanks again.
Sigsandjeeps

Last edited by sigsandjeeps; 10-09-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

ya its a cluster but i know what everything is lol

the master doesnt need a relay so just 4 would work. it would be a good idea to put a fuse on each switch, but if u really dont then it should be fine. the CAT5 is just senting a signal to the Acc. to turn on/off, it has no live power going through the wire itself so it works fine. the relays i used were ones i got off my parts xj right out of the fuse block under the hood. they were $8-12 a piece at the parts store so if u go to a junkyard and grab a bunch u could do that and be just fine.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:36 PM

Got it...I think.
I'm gonna sit down and draw a schematic in the not too distant future and I'll see what I can come up with.
You have been extremely helpful. I can't thank you enough.
Where did you shove that box of relays?
Sigsandjeeps
Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

under the driver seat
Old 10-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988

My drivers seat is under water a lot
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Jeepjunky,
Where does the ground go from the battery to the 2 post main switch?
thanks!
Sigsandjeeps
Old 10-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Okay, I'm pretty sure my schematic that I've drawn up will work, but I want to include the relays and the CAT5, but I'm lost.
I will post it up as soon as I can and if someone would chime in as to where I need to address my issues, I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks for all your help guys!!
Sigsandjeeps
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rustydog555
My drivers seat is under water a lot
well the container is sealed, all i would have to do is put some silicone around the wires that go through the box

Originally Posted by sigsandjeeps
Jeepjunky,
Where does the ground go from the battery to the 2 post main switch?
thanks!
Sigsandjeeps
for the main switch u wouldnt need a ground. the ground on the other switches is only for the LED
Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
well the container is sealed, all i would have to do is put some silicone around the wires that go through the box
Well done sir! I am very jealous.

Want a side project??
Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

^^ like what, wiring ur new dash up lol

Quick Reply: Ashtray swith panel...