Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB Compressor Engine Bay Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default ARB Compressor Engine Bay Mounting

Hi all,
I've done a lot of searching on this but haven't found anything real definitive. I want to mount an ARB CKMA12 (the new(er) high output commpressor) in the engine bay under the hood. I have a 2001 XJ with ABS and stock air box. Can this be done, if so, where? I've seen a photo here (http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/arb_dana30-35_01/) that seems to show the older style high output compressor mounted to the firewall. Can this be done with the newer style?

I specifically don't want to mount the compressor in the back or under the back seat, I'd really like it to be under the hood. I'm not looking to run an extra tank. Yes, I know that people worry about overheating. I want to use this for ARB lockers (hopefully next year with ford 8.8 upgrade) and right now for tire inflation. I've looked at the viair solutions but the new arb compressor looks like it will do the job and seems a simpler integrated solution.

If anyone has done this sccessfully and has some pics that would be really helpful. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by BoulderXJ
Hi all, I've done a lot of searching on this but haven't found anything real definitive. I want to mount an ARB CKMA12 (the new(er) high output commpressor) in the engine bay under the hood. I have a 2001 XJ with ABS and stock air box. Can this be done, if so, where? I've seen a photo here (http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/arb_dana30-35_01/) that seems to show the older style high output compressor mounted to the firewall. Can this be done with the newer style? I specifically don't want to mount the compressor in the back or under the back seat, I'd really like it to be under the hood. I'm not looking to run an extra tank. Yes, I know that people worry about overheating. I want to use this for ARB lockers (hopefully next year with ford 8.8 upgrade) and right now for tire inflation. I've looked at the viair solutions but the new arb compressor looks like it will do the job and seems a simpler integrated solution. If anyone has done this sccessfully and has some pics that would be really helpful. Thanks!

I have the same compressor. Looking for mounting options. Ever get this installed? If so, where did you put it? Ever any leaks or other problems? Duty %?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

He hasn't been on here for over a year. I've cleared a spot for OBA but haven't installed anything yet. Seems to me the best/easiest thing to do would be to do a cowl snorkel and eliminate your stock airbox.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Originally Posted by EagleXJ
He hasn't been on here for over a year. I've cleared a spot for OBA but haven't installed anything yet. Seems to me the best/easiest thing to do would be to do a cowl snorkel and eliminate your stock airbox.
This. It's a win-win really.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

I mounted mine in the cargo area. Used the existing spare tire mount. If you are worried about noise the compressor only runs about 5 seconds when pressuring the locker air lines up. Haven't had any issues with it so far.
Attached Thumbnails ARB Compressor Engine Bay Mounting-img_00000178.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 12:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I have the smaller arb compressor ( lockers only) but it easily fit in the space where the air box used to be (spectre cowl intake) if not for that, would be a challenge to find a spot for the larger ones with the air box still in there. I'm sure it's possible but man is it easy without it.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I could not fit mine in the engine bay with air box. VIAR 400.
I removed the cargo area cubby-hole panel and tried to fit it in the fender recess too, no luck.
It's now safely mounted next to the cubby with a split hose for filling two tires at once. Coupled with a deep cycle battery, it fills 4 tires without engine running.
Attached Thumbnails ARB Compressor Engine Bay Mounting-dsc02627.jpg