Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoLockers front AND rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AutoLockers front AND rear?

I recently rebuilt my front axle with new bearings, ball joints, seals etc while I was installing a Spartan lunchbox. I really enjoy the extra traction that it gives me off-road and it actually feels like a new jeep.

However I am starting to wonder if an autolocker in the back would be a good idea too? Does anyone run autolockers in the front AND back? What are your opinions on this setup?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

just installing now as i start the build on my XJ.
doing both front and rear. front only acts when in 4x, but in foresight it's nice to know i've got a li'l sumtin' there full time with the rear in as well. I'll have to wait for my first road and dirt rip to have a tested opinion
Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

while an autolocker rear does promote more tire wear and less traction in slippery road conditions, it provides a ridiculous amount of traction offroad.

do I need lockers front and rear?
1. if you're finding yourself getting stuck often and it's not completely driver error, yes
2. do you have gears? what good is all the traction in the world if you don't have a lot of torque to apply it. invest in gears before getting both lockers
3. how much do you care about lockers on your street driven rig? you will see some slightly faster tire wear and if you plan to use 4x4 on road and drive in snow every day, you may want to do some more research
Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Atmos
while an autolocker rear does promote more tire wear and less traction in slippery road conditions, it provides a ridiculous amount of traction offroad.

do I need lockers front and rear?
1. if you're finding yourself getting stuck often and it's not completely driver error, yes
2. do you have gears? what good is all the traction in the world if you don't have a lot of torque to apply it. invest in gears before getting both lockers
3. how much do you care about lockers on your street driven rig? you will see some slightly faster tire wear and if you plan to use 4x4 on road and drive in snow every day, you may want to do some more research
Good points.

1. I am not as extreme of a driver as I used to be in my younger days without kids in the car, so don't get stuck often at all actually.
2. I have factory 4.10 gears in my XJ, but only running 31's right now, and don't plan to ever go more than 33's, so that should be sufficient. (right?)
3. I might see snow occasionally, but doesn't last long on the roads.

Guess just looking for the next biggest bang-for-the-buck to have fun with.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

so you have a 4 cyl engine?

I'd have to say long arms. if you're getting everywhere you need to go, why not get there more comfortably. way more comfortably than short arms at least
Old 04-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Atmos
so you have a 4 cyl engine?

I'd have to say long arms. if you're getting everywhere you need to go, why not get there more comfortably. way more comfortably than short arms at least
No, I have the 4.0. I acquired it from the Missouri DNR where in its previous life it served as a warden vehicle. I have ran the build sheet on it and it shows the 4.10 gears, so my assumption is that it was build a bit different for the contract.

I have thought about long-arms, but don't plan on going up past 3 inches. Can you get long-arms with such as short lift?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default DNR Jeep

4.0 with stock 4.10?? Drool....
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

4.0, 4.10 gears, what's your transmission? auto or manual? I did not like my Lock-Rite auto locker in my TJ (back when I thought to have a Jeep meant Wrangler)... It was a 4 banger w/manual. The auto Trans are more forgiving with auto lockers than manuals.

I'd also suggest as an alternate to the locker a winch, lockers get you into trouble, winches get you out.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by caronaxtr
4.0, 4.10 gears, what's your transmission? auto or manual? I did not like my Lock-Rite auto locker in my TJ (back when I thought to have a Jeep meant Wrangler)... It was a 4 banger w/manual. The auto Trans are more forgiving with auto lockers than manuals.

I'd also suggest as an alternate to the locker a winch, lockers get you into trouble, winches get you out.
Its an auto transmission. I just recently purchased a winch bumper from Rusty's, but Tom95YJ (a member here) suggested that I should beef up the uni-body mounts as he commented that they appeared a little weak. He sounds like a knowledgeable person, so I am taking his suggestion.

As soon as I finish that, I will be mounting a Warn M8000 to it.

I agree with what you said. I have been going places with my front locker than I normally wouldn't have even tried before. I am sure that I will get a bit bolder and get into trouble sooner or later.

By the way, I used to live right up there close to you caronaxtr. Use to live there by the lake in Dunkirk-Fredonia.

Last edited by HYRYSC; 04-22-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

A short time ago I upgraded gears in my XJ to 4.56's 33" tires and installed Detroit Lockers front and rear. All I can say is WOW I now stay in 2wd most of the time while off road where it used to be 4wd most of the time. Now I only need 4wd when it gets to be rather tough going on the trails deep mud, creek crossings gravel, steep climbs.

Makes me wonder why this wasn't one of my first upgrades.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Locker with 242 TC

I have the 242 transfer case so an auto locker (lunchbox) will make 4-Full Time obsolete.
Will have to use a selectable locker up front.
I currently have an Aussie locker in the rear end. Now marketed as Lokka in the U.S.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
A short time ago I upgraded gears in my XJ to 4.56's 33" tires and installed Detroit Lockers front and rear. All I can say is WOW I now stay in 2wd most of the time while off road where it used to be 4wd most of the time. Now I only need 4wd when it gets to be rather tough going on the trails deep mud, creek crossings gravel, steep climbs.

Makes me wonder why this wasn't one of my first upgrades.
A front locker was one of my first mods because I read posts like yours about folks doing lifts, tires, etc then finally a locker and wishing they would have done that first. So I decided to learn from that example.

How are the on-road manners with an autolocker front and rear? Any regrets? Any weird behavior that you dislike?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im locked front and rear with Spartans. It is a tank off-road. On road the rear tires wear noticeably faster now. In 4wd in the winter **** gets sketchy with understeer due to the front. Have to change your tactics.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

I am with Mr White on the winter driving and changing the way we were used to driving. I just installed a Lokka locker in the D30 and I have the Aussie in the 8.25. I locked the rear first and drove it to work one snowy morning and when I was turning into a friends lane to pick him up, I had the wheel turned left but the XJ wanted to plow in a straight line so to speak. A little off the throttle on the throttle helped get it back on track.

For me, I just can't get used to the ratcheting noise that the rear makes. It can sometimes be quite annoying but, like Mr White also said, it is a tank off-road!
Old 04-23-2014, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Isn't rear tire wear due to people giving the vehicle power around turns? If you just coast on turns it shouldn't cause faster rear wear am I correct?

Quick Reply: AutoLockers front AND rear?