Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APN Header. Big mistake.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: currently running
Default APN Header. Big mistake.

I was so excited to receive my "new" APN header for my 97 XJ. I opened it and soon learned that I got ripped off. I received a used, horribly rusty header, and a torn gasket.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:44 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

EBay?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Default APN header

Amazon actually. I have ordered many jeep parts on Amazon and this is the first time there was an issue. I called APN and they informed me that this style header has had issues with fitment, so they have to physically install every header that was made during a certain time. As, I tried to tell them that once you install a part, it is not in new condition anymore. I don't mind that they installed it for correct fitment. I do mind that it is not as advertised though. I purchased a grant adapter and steering wheel, Marshall Pro comp II LED gauges, smoked turns, BBK 62MM TB, K&N "cold" air intake, Borla cat back, and all of the audio for the Jeep. No problems. Amazon is actually cheaper than most places.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Tell Amazon and file a claim if they won't refund you. If you ordered "new" then it should be new. Amazon will refund you if the company won't, they'll go after the company shortly after giving you your money.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:47 PM

Default APN

The parts store that I bought it on Amazon through, has had several of these exact APN Jeep headers returned to them because of this issue. They made me a label and I am shipping it back, no problems. That's why I like Amazon. I have heard good reviews about the APN headers, and they were priced well below competitors. Back to the drawing board. I think I will try the Pacesetter headers.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:24 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

look up speeddaddy (at least thats what i think they were called) on ebay i bought their header and after almost a year of it being on ive had no problems. Shipped fast and fit perfectly
Old 09-30-2014, 08:06 PM

Default Speeddaddy

I think I may do the black racing header. It is way cheaper and it looks like better quality. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:17 PM

Default APN Header. Big mistake.

Do you have a link for the racing header? Mine needs to be replaced soon too
Old 09-30-2014, 10:26 PM

Engine: 4.0

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=190872500646

I dont know if theres something i could've/ should've done but mine are no longer black, just so ya know
Old 09-30-2014, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should be mad at the store not apn. I ordered direct and got a new header.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
I think you should be mad at the store not apn. I ordered direct and got a new header.
Same here.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Okay, I'm gonna be the odd man out and say that from that picture I really don't see what the problem is here. That's just a little surface rust that ought to knock right off with a few swipes with steel wool. Unless there were cracks in the welds or something, I would have just kept it. The replacement is not going to look or perform any better once it's on the Jeep.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:14 AM

Default Good point

I see your point. I fabricated a full metal interior for the Jeep. I did the DIY front and back bumpers, prepped the body and interior metal. I rolled and sprayed it. Installed pro comp gauges and off road lights. Re wired 90% of the Jeep. Installed the new lift kit and wheels. I then installed metal flares. With that being said, I am running out of weekends before it turns cold. I really just wanted to coat the header and put it on. Now I need to waste 2 hours getting all the rust off of a new product before I can coat it? I could have got a used one locally if that was the case. The rust on the back side of that flange is not coming off short of a grinder. That my friend, is to much work for a new product in my opinion. I have 5 kids, and we are doing a move across the US here in less than a month. In the meantime, I ordered a different header from a different company, and sent this back. For me, a new product is just that. New. I got a rusty piece of crap for $175.00+shipping.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Mr Lewis
I really just wanted to coat the header and put it on. Now I need to waste 2 hours getting all the rust off of a new product before I can coat it?
Well, first off, it shouldn't take anywhere near two hours to get that rust off. It would be good to go in a few minutes. Put on a pair of nitrile gloves and go to work with steel wool, and you would be done in less than 10 minutes.

But why would you need to do that? If you're sending it out to have it coated, don't they prep it for you? I know Swain does, as long as it's only surface rust. I sent them my downpipe with 14 years of surface rust on it, and they bead-blasted it before coating it.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Okay, I'm gonna be the odd man out and say that from that picture I really don't see what the problem is here. That's just a little surface rust that ought to knock right off with a few swipes with steel wool. Unless there were cracks in the welds or something, I would have just kept it. The replacement is not going to look or perform any better once it's on the Jeep.

Well if I purchased something listed as new I better damn get something new. Although I do agree the header will still work regardless of the way it looked, if it was listed as new but obviously was used they should have charged me a used price

Quick Reply: APN Header. Big mistake.