Anyone running these shackles? - Page 3 - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
Anyone running these shackles? >

Anyone running these shackles?

Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

Anyone running these shackles?

Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 PM
  #31  
HUH? WHAT?
 
XJwonders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: west chester, pa
Posts: 18,909
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by sycoglitch View Post
Just let it go. At this time just smile and wave. He's made his decision. Were just lying to him I guess.
I can't wait to wave at him when he roll over.
XJwonders is online now  
Old 09-29-2015, 09:53 PM
  #32  
CF Veteran
 
sycoglitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mercer County, NJ
Posts: 12,692
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO
Default

Originally Posted by XJwonders View Post
I can't wait to wave at him when he roll over.
sycoglitch is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 04:59 AM
  #33  
Someone stole my badge!
 
Basslicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 11,137
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default

Alright, well since the OP isn't taking anyone's advice in here, I'm going to take this opportunity to get some working advice on a product that seems quality to me and I've been wondering more about

Originally Posted by SteveMongr View Post
In a previous discussion regarding Core4x4 using nuts welded onto pipe, bushings, all-thread. I recall a welder mentioning there is a strength issue with welding onto hardened steel. IDK, need a metallurgist, where is XJwonders..


I only remove the one bolt when adjusting my shackles.
Take a look at these; http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/RLS.html


Correct, and then the elbow in them reverses or inverts. They may have fixed that by now however.
So, you've been running the Ironman shackles? These are something that I've been considering. Unloading aside, what are your overall thoughts on the shackles and the company itself? Would you recommend them?
Basslicks is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:09 AM
  #34  
Beach Bum
 
SteveMongr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Posts: 6,110
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

^ I run Clayton shackles, not Ironman. I suggested OP look at them because that screw type adjustment is what he is after.
I have heard nothing but good about Ironman Andy. Everything is built very well.

The unloading issue has to do with Teraflex revolver shackles only. They have a joint in them that adds travel to the suspension. I see now that the issue with inverting has been solved by adding a stop (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails Anyone running these shackles?-1033000_v1_05032010.jpg  
SteveMongr is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:33 AM
  #35  
Member
Thread Starter
 
guinelle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LaGrange Il
Posts: 138
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by sycoglitch View Post
Just let it go. At this time just smile and wave. He's made his decision. Were just lying to him I guess.
made my decision, i havnt made ****. i havent even bought them and i knew i probably wouldnt from the beginning because i dont need longer shackles, im running dakota shackles at the moment and my ride height is fine. I guess everyone on the internet is a metallurgist. i work with large bolts/threaded rod and i know for a fact you will NEVER shear that size of a bolt on your rig. you'd rip you shackle boxes off way before that.and the person that said "the weld looks small" jesus.. i can tell you probably havnt welded a thing in your life if you said that. i see core4x4 gets a bad wrap on their products. im not defending them, hell i havnt bought anything from them, but dont just jump on the bandwagon.

i see plenty of people run those **** ebay 2 inch flimsy lift shackles. NOW those are junk.

its fine if you dont want to run them, i just see absolutely no reason to bash them. theres quite a few people that have bought them and we havnt heard of any catastrophic failures yet have we? reminds me of the people that say if you take your doors off or that unibodys are junk and they all taco... yet where are all the pics of these taco'd XJs?

have a good day yall.
guinelle1 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 AM
  #36  
CF Veteran
 
sycoglitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mercer County, NJ
Posts: 12,692
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO
Default

Originally Posted by guinelle1 View Post
made my decision, i havnt made ****. i havent even bought them and i knew i probably wouldnt from the beginning because i dont need longer shackles, im running dakota shackles at the moment and my ride height is fine. I guess everyone on the internet is a metallurgist. i work with large bolts/threaded rod and i know for a fact you will NEVER shear that size of a bolt on your rig. you'd rip you shackle boxes off way before that.and the person that said "the weld looks small" jesus.. i can tell you probably havnt welded a thing in your life if you said that. i see core4x4 gets a bad wrap on their products. im not defending them, hell i havnt bought anything from them, but dont just jump on the bandwagon.

i see plenty of people run those **** ebay 2 inch flimsy lift shackles. NOW those are junk.

its fine if you dont want to run them, i just see absolutely no reason to bash them. theres quite a few people that have bought them and we havnt heard of any catastrophic failures yet have we? reminds me of the people that say if you take your doors off or that unibodys are junk and they all taco... yet where are all the pics of these taco'd XJs?

have a good day yall.
Really. Can't shear a large threaded rod. This isn't construction material holding a box or air handler. If you can't shear a large threaded rod, than how did I shear my IRO trac bar threads. I gave my warning about what the jamb nut is for. There's constant pressure on those threads. O for.one didn't claim nothing about welds. People with experience brought that up. I dont trust the au shape design that bolts to the leaf springs. The lack of trussing is what worries me. There's been several picture posted if shackles thatve twisted sideways due to inferior design. Now I'm just unsubbing from this thread. We gave our views of this. Anyone every searches these shackles can take I how they want.
sycoglitch is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 09:02 AM
  #37  
Beach Bum
 
SteveMongr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Posts: 6,110
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by guinelle1 View Post

i see plenty of people run those **** ebay 2 inch flimsy lift shackles. NOW those are junk.
They are junk, see what happens (pic). But you did not ask about those..
Attached Images  
SteveMongr is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 10:26 AM
  #38  
Member
Thread Starter
 
guinelle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LaGrange Il
Posts: 138
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by sycoglitch View Post
Really. Can't shear a large threaded rod. This isn't construction material holding a box or air handler. If you can't shear a large threaded rod, than how did I shear my IRO trac bar threads. I gave my warning about what the jamb nut is for. There's constant pressure on those threads. O for.one didn't claim nothing about welds. People with experience brought that up. I dont trust the au shape design that bolts to the leaf springs. The lack of trussing is what worries me. There's been several picture posted if shackles thatve twisted sideways due to inferior design. Now I'm just unsubbing from this thread. We gave our views of this. Anyone every searches these shackles can take I how they want.
imo i would think a u shape would be stronger then the ones that are made with basically just 2 pieces of flat stock and a brace across the center.. anyway no hard feelings really.. i do appreciate the opinions. like i said i seriously doubt the bolt will shear.. the u portion is the weakest link. i think they would be better suited for a mall crawler type rig not a serious wheeler.

now let me say this, i forgot to mention in the beginning but the MAIN reason i was interested in these is not to compensate for sag left to right, but because i was unsure on the amount of lift i was going to get from my set of junkyard springs. i thought it would just be easier to order these shackles and not have to worry about it.
guinelle1 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 10:27 AM
  #39  
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Eastern Michigan
Posts: 320
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

I don't recall anyone suggesting eBay shackles on this thread.

If your comment about the weld sizes was directed at me, I said that the weld on one of the shackles in the picture is smaller than the same weld on the other shackle. Inconsistent anything is bad, especially welds.

I don't understand why you're so upset. You came on here asking if anyone had run them. This is a forum, and plenty of people look at it but you only got one response saying someone has them. Yes you have 100% feedback, but if so many people use them, where are the other responses? My hypothesis is that people that buy no name parts on eBay are generally not the kind that really do their research and frequent places like this. Numerous other people provided their opinions on the design which you clearly don't agree with. That's ok, it's your rig and you can try what you want with it. But recognize that you are defending the product vehemently despite all of our advice.
aj2494 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 10:34 AM
  #40  
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Eastern Michigan
Posts: 320
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by guinelle1 View Post
imo i would think a u shape would be stronger then the ones that are made with basically just 2 pieces of flat stock and a brace across the center.. anyway no hard feelings really.. i do appreciate the opinions. like i said i seriously doubt the bolt will shear.. the u portion is the weakest link. i think they would be better suited for a mall crawler type rig not a serious wheeler.

now let me say this, i forgot to mention in the beginning but the MAIN reason i was interested in these is not to compensate for sag left to right, but because i was unsure on the amount of lift i was going to get from my set of junkyard springs. i thought it would just be easier to order these shackles and not have to worry about it.
I don't think anyone is really worried about shearing the bolt. It probably sees mostly compression/tension anyways. We just don't like the general construction, and it doesn't look like great quality. Personally, I don't think I would ever veer away from brand name suspension parts. Headers, maybe. But something that decides whether or not my leaf spring ends up going through my trunk? I'll stick to something tried and tested, thank you very much.
aj2494 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 10:45 AM
  #41  
Beach Bum
 
SteveMongr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Posts: 6,110
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Clayton makes three-way adjustable, 1/4" steel and oversize bushing.


Originally Posted by aj2494 View Post
...If your comment about the weld sizes was directed at me,...
It was I who questioned the weld.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone running these shackles?-1601900.jpg  
SteveMongr is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 AM
  #42  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Orem
Posts: 16
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default




So here is one of mine, I just wanted to post a pic because they are a little different than the eBay picture. I am local to them and was able to handle them before buying them and didn't see anything alarming. I am considering changing them though because even with them adjusted as short as they can go I still have more lift than I want.
Raney120 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 12:01 PM
  #43  
Member
Thread Starter
 
guinelle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LaGrange Il
Posts: 138
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by aj2494 View Post
I don't recall anyone suggesting eBay shackles on this thread.

If your comment about the weld sizes was directed at me, I said that the weld on one of the shackles in the picture is smaller than the same weld on the other shackle. Inconsistent anything is bad, especially welds.

I don't understand why you're so upset. You came on here asking if anyone had run them. This is a forum, and plenty of people look at it but you only got one response saying someone has them. Yes you have 100% feedback, but if so many people use them, where are the other responses? My hypothesis is that people that buy no name parts on eBay are generally not the kind that really do their research and frequent places like this. Numerous other people provided their opinions on the design which you clearly don't agree with. That's ok, it's your rig and you can try what you want with it. But recognize that you are defending the product vehemently despite all of our advice.
i brought up ebay shackles, and i am definitely not upset lol. I dont really care if people respond, but i was mostly looking for people that DID buy them. i didnt need a thread full of people that didnt buy them, but will look at the picture and tell me they are junk and why. Im not defending them or their product. if you read my first post you would know i was just going to make my own since i have access to the materials for free. i dont need to beat a dead horse a million times.
guinelle1 is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:40 PM
  #44  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12
Model: Cherokee
Default

It's 2019 anyone else use adjustable shackles ?
Red Mistress is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Ye Ol' Cherokee
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
8
10-09-2015 11:29 PM
riderjay253
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
4
09-16-2015 12:31 PM
Silentj
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
7
09-06-2015 09:46 PM
southfloridajeeps
Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
9
09-05-2015 02:30 AM
australian_expat
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
4
09-02-2015 10:02 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone running these shackles?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: