Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone install daystar louvers on their XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:56 PM
jmg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default anyone install daystar louvers on their XJ?

Just picked up a set :
http://www.daystarweb.com/productdet...productID=1472

As usuall, I bought really before doing a ton of research. I like the way these look, but after mocking them up, using the stock template, they sit pretty much over mid point on the hood, over the valve covers.

I'm a little concerned that they should be lower down for effective heat evacuation. MY '88 is running a touch hot at highway speed with the A/C on (230 ish), which is to be expected I guess given that I have a 350 under the hood.

anwyway, has anyone installed these? before I start cutting, have they done anything for temps, or should I install them lower down on the hood, closer to the radiator?
Old 07-15-2015, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Mine (gen-right not Daystar) are about in the worst place possible... right above the distributor and TB. That being said, I have never had an issue EVER. Not buried in snow, not in pouring rain... never. My point with that is put them where you wish. When driving down the road, the air/heat is forced under the vehicle anyways- it does not come flying out of the hood like you would expect. No matter where you put them, there will be a ton of heat coming out of them when you are going slow.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 PM
jmg

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Mine (gen-right not Daystar) are about in the worst place possible... right above the distributor and TB. That being said, I have never had an issue EVER. Not buried in snow, not in pouring rain... never. My point with that is put them where you wish. When driving down the road, the air/heat is forced under the vehicle anyways- it does not come flying out of the hood like you would expect. No matter where you put them, there will be a ton of heat coming out of them when you are going slow.
Yeah, I'm not so much concerned with rain/snow, but rather heat displacement -- my srt has similar louvers, right at the front of the hood near the radiator, and in the winter I can see heat pulling out even when driving. I was a little concerned that being so far back on the hood, they could interfere with the a/c intake and would actually suck air deflected from the front windshield.

Whatever. anything will be better than the hotbox I have.

BTW, I know these things relieve underhood temps, but did you see any drop in coolant temps?