Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to lower the front height without changing the coils?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Any way to lower the front height without changing the coils?

Disclaimer: I may have slight OCD when it comes to cars and guns... This often prompts me to abandon my sense of logic and reason.

I just ordered a Metalcloak/ OME lift kit and depending on if a leaf is removed the rear height will be at 3.25" or 4.25". The Metalcloak coils lift the front to 3.5".

My options out of the box would be 3.5" front and either 3.25-4.25" rear. I HATE reverse rake, and I'd like this jeep to sit level at a less than 4" lift.

Is anyone aware of a way to lower the front .25-.5 inches without cutting or changing the coils? I haven't been able to find thinner spring isolators or any other solution.

I'm aware of the various options for raising the rear up a bit and may end up going that route, I just thought I'd check first.

Thanks!

Last edited by ExpeditionXJ; 07-06-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

for serious? if you have an eye that can notice 0.25" difference between front and rear I'd be shocked
install the lift first and see how you feel. wait awhile and see if the lift naturally breaks in and the front sits a little lower. if after all that your OCD is still acting up, try to weigh the front down with a bumper/winch

nitpicking level 10...
Old 07-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Wait, I thought everyone knew. You gotta do what all the kids are doing these days. Best look ever

As stated you won't even notice .25".
Attached Thumbnails Any way to lower the front height without changing the coils?-166244_150597404991355_100001232882366_290747_6584264_n.jpg  
Old 07-06-2015, 02:39 PM

LOL!

I should have been more clear the OME CS033rb leafs will settle at a max of 3.25 with a leaf removed. Some get as little as 2.75". Yes .25" isn't noticeable but .5-1" is.

Back to the question. Is there a way to lower the front without changing the coils? If there is it'd be good to have it documented in this thread for others.

Thanks,
Old 07-06-2015, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by ExpeditionXJ
Disclaimer: I may have slight OCD when it comes to cars and guns... This often prompts me to abandon my sense of logic and reason.

I just ordered a Metalcloak/ OME lift kit and depending on if a leaf is removed the rear height will be at 3.25" or 4.25". The Metalcloak coils lift the front to 3.5".

My options out of the box would be 3.5" front and either 3.25-4.25" rear. I HATE reverse rake, and I'd like this jeep to sit level at a less than 4" lift.

Is anyone aware of a way to lower the front .25-.5 inches without cutting or changing the coils? I haven't been able to find thinner spring isolators or any other solution.

I'm aware of the various options for raising the rear up a bit and may end up going that route, I just thought I'd check first.

Thanks!
Once you discover you have driveshaft vibrations from the lift, you will be installing a sye. You will be adding a degree shim to the rear that gives an easy 1/4" so no worries about lowering the front.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by sreeb
Once you discover you have driveshaft vibrations from the lift, you will be installing a sye. You will be adding a degree shim to the rear that gives an easy 1/4" so no worries about lowering the front.
Thanks, I had been wondering this as well. IRO's site says they add lift but I'd never seen it mentioned elsewhere. I was hoping this was the case.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Thanks, I had been wondering this as well. IRO's site says they add lift but I'd never seen it mentioned elsewhere. I was hoping this was the case.
And if you need to lower the front, it is easy.

First, get a winch bumper. If that doesn't do it, buy a winch to go with it.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:13 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Jump it hard. That'll lower it
Old 07-07-2015, 04:25 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

This. This all day long. Only other option I could think of is to cut half of a turn out of the coil... and I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend that... especially not after paying the money you are for Metal Cloak springs.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 AM

And if that doesn't do it switch the synthetic rope switch to steel cable. And if that doesn't do it add a dual battery!

$1500 later, SUCCESS!

Originally Posted by Basslicks
This. This all day long. Only other option I could think of is to cut half of a turn out of the coil... and I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend that... especially not after paying the money you are for Metal Cloak springs.
Yeah that's not going to happen. lol
Old 07-07-2015, 10:30 AM

Thank you guys for confirming there is no way to lower the front without messing with the coils (other than the obvious of adding weight).

The weather is about to hit triple digits here... That's perfect for for installing a full suspension, flares, new rear main seal, and HD SYE with drive shaft. ****!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I warned you about that kit but now you will need to do as the others have suggested. A winch/bumper combo will settle the front end and know the areas you will be wheeling in before buying syn cable for it. I went that route and it was shot after 5 uses because of rubbing against trees and rocks then changed back to wire rope.

If you ever plan on carrying any weight in the cargo area "Do Not" remove any leafs or you will have problems. In mine just emergency gear, recovery, parts I have 140# min in there all the time. Then if you pull a trailer ever the same problem comes up again. That and if you replace the rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier, receiver and recovery points that will increase weight also.

With those coils/leafs you have little leeway so leave them as is till you decide what your going to do as most XJ's are in a constant state of upgrades.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Give it a while to settle.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks!
OME 930s will net you 1.75" with the 4.0
ACOS will net you 1.25.

Total net 3"

and can be adjusted up from there to level out.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I warned you about that kit but now you will need to do as the others have suggested. A winch/bumper combo will settle the front end and know the areas you will be wheeling in before buying syn cable for it. I went that route and it was shot after 5 uses because of rubbing against trees and rocks then changed back to wire rope.

If you ever plan on carrying any weight in the cargo area "Do Not" remove any leafs or you will have problems. In mine just emergency gear, recovery, parts I have 140# min in there all the time. Then if you pull a trailer ever the same problem comes up again. That and if you replace the rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier, receiver and recovery points that will increase weight also.

With those coils/leafs you have little leeway so leave them as is till you decide what your going to do as most XJ's are in a constant state of upgrades.
Good advice. Metalcloak is behind in shipping and said I have a while to make up my mind. I'm not committed to anything other than saving $220 in shipping if I decide to move forward (4th of July sale).

I still don't think I can piece together a comparable setup for the price... And if I did I'd end up with a hodgepodge of front/ rear spring rates that may or may not play nice together.

My house AC decided to take a **** so this may have to go on the back burner.

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
OME 930s will net you 1.75" with the 4.0
ACOS will net you 1.25.

Total net 3"

and can be adjusted up from there to level out.
That would be changing the front springs.

Last edited by ExpeditionXJ; 07-07-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Any way to lower the front height without changing the coils?