Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another super charger thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Another super charger thread

First let me start by saying i am horrible at searching forums but have read alot of threads on this but want some more info. Ok i want to use a m90 and mount it where my a/c is. ive seen it done on youtube and a couple other places but just want to know more info on this. If there is a thread for this point me to it. Most i have read are using the intake side with a hole in the hood or dont ever go through with the super charger. I basically just want something different than another ls swap.

Austin
Old 01-19-2016, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

Are you sure you don't want a hole in the hood?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

The reason people don't ever finish a supercharger project is because it's way too costly.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Education is expensive. $2695 buys you a complete M90 side mount kit that fits under the stock hood and retains the A/C. Out of the box, plug and play. Fuel and timing tuning included. 6 pounds boost, 8-8.5pounds with a pulley change.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:09 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
Education is expensive. $2695 buys you a complete M90 side mount kit that fits under the stock hood and retains the A/C. Out of the box, plug and play. Fuel and timing tuning included. 6 pounds boost, 8-8.5pounds with a pulley change.
I was hoping you'd chime in......
Old 01-20-2016, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Momentum Motorsports made a mounting plate for the Ford M90 off the SC T-bird to mount the SC in place of the A/C. Their 'tuning' was 6 larger injectors.

They are no more. Out of business, probably due to blowing engines up.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
So, I'm just curious... what kind of performance gains could one expect from 8-8.5 lbs of boost?
Old 01-20-2016, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

6 pounds- +60rwhp and +70rwtq
8 pounds- +70rwhp and +80rwtq, more importantly will maintain 5-6 pounds boost at altitude
Old 01-21-2016, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

To the op. Is this your first non factory forced induction project? Of so... I Will throw my .02 in. It is not ment to be uppity or offensive just what I recommend. Don't mod your daily for your first project or second maybe third. Pick up a wideband. I like aem. Throw that in there. Get a tuner piggyback device. I like aem fic model 30-1913. Learn to solder good. Throw that in there. Buy some bigger injectors some 36lbs/hr will work. You can find 8 for around 100 bucks on eBay. One or too might be duds. That's the fun of having 6 cyclinders. Throw those in there. Now rescale the injectors so the jeep runs like stock with bigger injectors with fuel trims close to zero. What I am getting at is tuning is the most important of engine modification n/a or F/I. Once you have made yourself very familiar with what ever tuner you wish to use you are much further in the process than the guy next to you with a built engine with a turbo on it. As far as mounting the supercharger invest in a welder I like my mig from Eastwood. With a welder all things are possible... That might be Jesus, can't remember. If you find you want to cut your hood aussiespeedshop makes a m90 adapter plate. It will require machining and a plate to adapt the adapter plate to the jeep intake. Would be nice if a company out there would just offer a manifold and pulley kit. Buuuuut no. So ya there's that.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You could swap in a mercedes om617 http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/ has motor mounts and the trans adapter and everything else needed for the swap.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cummins93
To the op. Is this your first non factory forced induction project? Of so... I Will throw my .02 in. It is not ment to be uppity or offensive just what I recommend. Don't mod your daily for your first project or second maybe third. Pick up a wideband. I like aem. Throw that in there. Get a tuner piggyback device. I like aem fic model 30-1913. Learn to solder good. Throw that in there. Buy some bigger injectors some 36lbs/hr will work. You can find 8 for around 100 bucks on eBay. One or too might be duds. That's the fun of having 6 cyclinders. Throw those in there. Now rescale the injectors so the jeep runs like stock with bigger injectors with fuel trims close to zero. What I am getting at is tuning is the most important of engine modification n/a or F/I. Once you have made yourself very familiar with what ever tuner you wish to use you are much further in the process than the guy next to you with a built engine with a turbo on it. As far as mounting the supercharger invest in a welder I like my mig from Eastwood. With a welder all things are possible... That might be Jesus, can't remember. If you find you want to cut your hood aussiespeedshop makes a m90 adapter plate. It will require machining and a plate to adapt the adapter plate to the jeep intake. Would be nice if a company out there would just offer a manifold and pulley kit. Buuuuut no. So ya there's that.
I had a lot of dsms so turbos and tuning with ecm link is something I grew to learn. With a jeep is different obviously. But it's not my daily I'm doing full widths with 513s which I'm in the process of doing at the moment just want some more power with out a motor swap. I have the money to invest and the time just want some people's experiences.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:32 PM

Another thing to add was at work so didnt have the time to really resond. I have a welder its hobart mig pretty used to it so fabbing stuff really isnt to much of a issue. I looked int to the older threads of the m62 and mounting it on the intake side which i guess cutting a hole wouldnt be that big of a deal. I have just seen multiple jeeps in person with the m90 where the a/c compressor is. I just like forced induction and wanna do something kinda off the beaten path. I was thinking bigger injectors and a tune. But after reading that the company that was selling a kit similar is outta business makes me weary. All ready went through one motor this year not looking to swap another anytime soon hahaha.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

There were other factors involved. Putting larger injectors onto a boosted application and letting the stock ecu correct injector pulse duration down to keep a 14.7 afr will be no different than keeping the stock injectors in the first place. Also no mention of timing retard. On multi port fuel injection larger injectors with the correct tune is the way I would do it.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by liftedblackxj99
All ready went through one motor this year not looking to swap another anytime soon hahaha.
If you wanna play your gonna pay, no way to avoid that.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For the money you spend on a blower you could swap a ls and have a lot more power.You could do a 80 shot of nitro a lot cheaper and get the same power and a lot less work.Have you ever owned a supercharger?The whine can get anoyying and changing the gear oil in them smells worse then used axle oil.

Quick Reply: Another super charger thread