Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Death Wobble Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Another Death Wobble Problem

Ok, the story goes, I installed a 3.5" lift kit, had horrible death wobble, any minor bump in the road above 40mph and it was bad....so I installed an adjustable track bar, new steering stablizer and got it alligned....now it still has death wobble but only at highway speed over abutments....now I don't know what the next step should be...thoughts?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

DW is caused by worn/damaged/misaligned/loose steering and/or suspension components.
Places to look:
-Front tires out of balance
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Need adjustable track bar
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box looseness
-Need drop pitman arm
-Driveshaft(s) not balanced
-Bad front hub assembly

Here is a great post on diagnosing your DW issues:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/di...-wobble-55021/

Last edited by no rdplz; 10-26-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, sump guard, snorkel, LPG system, red and yellow top Optima batteries.

check all of your steering joints and upper and lower ball joints,with the vehicle on the ground and then jacked up by the body. check sway bar bushes. check control arm bushes. check steering box for any play. and finally possibly a silly question but are your wheels ballanced ?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM

The front end is all good, I went through everything when I put the track bar and stablizer on. The sway bar bushings are the only thing that could use replacing but their not that bad....Wheels/tires are balance, just got it alligned. Lower control arms and bushings are brand new.

I just don't understand why it would have gone from being really bad to almost fixed after the track bar and stabilizer.

Originally Posted by Phat jeep
check all of your steering joints and upper and lower ball joints,with the vehicle on the ground and then jacked up by the body. check sway bar bushes. check control arm bushes. check steering box for any play. and finally possibly a silly question but are your wheels ballanced ?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99

Originally Posted by plotski999
The front end is all good, I went through everything when I put the track bar and stablizer on. The sway bar bushings are the only thing that could use replacing but their not that bad....Wheels/tires are balance, just got it alligned. Lower control arms and bushings are brand new.

I just don't understand why it would have gone from being really bad to almost fixed after the track bar and stabilizer.
Because the track bar centers the axle In the front and if it is off or pulling to much to one side it's what normally causes DW.. And the steering stabilizer upgrade allows the steering linkage to take hits from bumps on the street better absorbing the impacts
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Steering stabilizers will not cure or cause a death wobble, they only mask the real problem.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM

So you think I need to readjust the track bar?

Originally Posted by bigblack99
Because the track bar centers the axle In the front and if it is off or pulling to much to one side it's what normally causes DW.. And the steering stabilizer upgrade allows the steering linkage to take hits from bumps on the street better absorbing the impacts
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM

Do you really think a steering stabilizer itself would have improved it that much?

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Steering stabilizers will not cure or cause a death wobble, they only mask the real problem.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99

I never said the steering stabilizer cured it haha... The stabilizer does only mask the problem and yes I would make sure your trac bar is nice and tight, joints are good and that it's adjusted to the right length
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM

do you know if there is any sort of proper "method" for properly adjusting a trac bar...it seems like its just a matter of eyeing it up.

I never said the steering stabilizer cured it haha... The stabilizer does only mask the problem and yes I would make sure your trac bar is nice and tight, joints are good and that it's adjusted to the right length
Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I was just stating it before somebody chimes in and recommends a new stabilizer to fix the problem. Also, worn sway bar bushings will not cause a death wobble either.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:24 PM

I figured since it doesnt affect it when it's not connected

I was just stating it before somebody chimes in and recommends a new stabilizer to fix the problem. Also, worn sway bar bushings will not cause a death wobble either.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L 6 CYL

With the DW starting after the lift was installed. Are you sure the alignment is correct some shops have issues aligning lifted jeeps. The caster i think it is needs to be between 4 degree and 7 degree neg. If they are setting to a computer that give green or red for good or bad it may need to be adjusted untill the DW goes away which may not be green on the computer. I had to deal with this on a wj and it was a big pita for a while ended up using an old pit and gauges instead. This is of course as long as evrything is right and tight.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:48 PM

Well the death wobble was ALMOST cured after the stablizer and trac bar since it only does it at highway speed now as opposed to around town....even at highway speed it is only over abutments and very breif...before it would keep going until I slowed way down, And all this way even before I got it aligned. So there was something that improved it a whole lot, after the alignment didnt affect it at all. DW on highway only before and after alignment. I brought it to the dealer and they deal with lifited stuff a lot so I'm pretty sure they did it correctly. I told them what was going on and they said everything looked good.

Originally Posted by MUDRUNNER AZ
With the DW starting after the lift was installed. Are you sure the alignment is correct some shops have issues aligning lifted jeeps. The caster i think it is needs to be between 4 degree and 7 degree neg. If they are setting to a computer that give green or red for good or bad it may need to be adjusted untill the DW goes away which may not be green on the computer. I had to deal with this on a wj and it was a big pita for a while ended up using an old pit and gauges instead. This is of course as long as evrything is right and tight.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L 6 CYL

Originally Posted by plotski999
Ok, the story goes, I installed a 3.5" lift kit, had horrible death wobble, any minor bump in the road above 40mph and it was bad....so I installed an adjustable track bar, new steering stablizer and got it alligned....now it still has death wobble but only at highway speed over abutments....now I don't know what the next step should be...thoughts?
Sorry if i miss read but i was under the impression that you installed the lift and then had a horrible DW. AS stated above all can contribute to the DW. And the stabilizer will only mask the issue and help to contol it some. If its still there then there is still an issue in the frontend. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Another Death Wobble Problem