Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Cylinder
Default Alternator Swap Help

Hi guys, I need some help... I think I have a general idea on how to do this. However, I'd rather not go in blinded and maybe fry something... That would suck. I'm going to try and attach a picture to help illustrate what I am talking about. 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0

I want to upgrade my alternator to a 136 amp. I have bought a Bosch Alternator from Rock Auto, 136 amp. I have read, and watched youtube videos on how to grind the bracket. I think I can handle that. However, the electrical connections to the alternator are different from each other. No one mentioned that, :/ So when I took off my old one I was like: Ugggghhhh...

The large cable I get, but there are two wires attached to a plastic insert piece that just plugs into the old alternator. The new alternator has two screws in place of a female insert??? I am assuming I can cut those two wires, add lugs and place them over, one on each screw to the new one??? If so, which one is which? I think I remember seeing one wire have a stripe on it.... Thank you guys in advance!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2017, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

What year/vehicle did you buy your alternator for?

Last edited by XJlimitedx99; 03-17-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Snap, I forgot to type that in.... I bought a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee alternator..... I believe either 5.2 L or 5.9 L I'd have to check receipt when I get home.. 136 amp.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

So I just reviewed my thread from when I did my alternator upgrade. Its weird that your 1998 XJ alternator has a plug, I thought they switched in 1999.

Either way, you should return the alternator you bought and get one for a 1999 Durango with a 5.2. This will have the plug connector as opposed to those two studs.

A couple things to note when switching to the new one:

-The black plastic guard that fits around the positive stud faces the wrong way on the Durango alternator. You should remove the guard from you XJ alternator and use it on the Durango one or modify the Durango guard so the wire can come in from the other side.

-The Durango pulley has a larger diameter and an extra groove. You should swap the XJ pulley onto the Durango alternator or just be sure to run the belt so its straight (extra groove towards the front).

Here is a write-up I did when I did my upgrade. Its a pretty poor excuse for a write-up. I was new to the forums and this whole thing back then. Maybe I'll rewrite that..

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/19...ctures-179443/

If you don't want to go through the effort of sending that alternator back I'm sure you could easily find an answer on which wire goes where. I just don't have that answer for you.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:23 PM

Hey thank you! I appreciate the response! I just went thru your thread, nice man. That helps a lot. I will certainly look into all of this further! Yeah, it kinda sucks cause I was out- Thought it would be an easy swap, then the wire thing came up.. Went to Orilleys and bought a 117 amp alternator so at least I could get it running. Now she whistles from the alternator.. uggh I should have researched a little more before I attempted this... dangit. First time ever dealing with an alternator... New to mechanical stuff.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:34 PM

Engine: 4.0 from a 1998

Hey,

I'm sort of in the opposite predicament. My current alternator has the two lug wires bolted in and I want to upgrade to the 160A alternator off an 03 Durango that has that 2 prong plug connection.

Mine:
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...11065_940035_0

160A Durango:
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...84191_938145_0

Can I just buy this plug and wire it into my wiring so I can just plug in the new alt?

Plug:
http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...tor/518343_0_0

What's all involved with wiring in that plug to my XJ? Anyone done this before? The plug from autozone looks like it has four wires too, anyone know anything about how to wire this?

Anyone know of a 160A alternator that will fit my current wiring? I found a 136A that'll work but I'd like to go 160A if it'll work with minimal frustration.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Thanks,
Steve