Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All stock, looking to lift. Suggestions please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default All stock, looking to lift. Suggestions please!

Im looking to lift my 99. Im stock right now and looking at doing a 6" lift with 35s. I have been looking at Skyjacker, how well is their stuff made? Do their springs and leafs ride soft? Thanks for any ideas!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by newxj
Im looking to lift my 99. Im stock right now and looking at doing a 6" lift with 35s. I have been looking at Skyjacker, how well is their stuff made? Do their springs and leafs ride soft? Thanks for any ideas!
Why so much lift? I've only had personal experience with skyjacker shocks and I wasn't impressed at all. Personally, for the money, you can get a lot nicer kit. I would look into the Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty long arm kit. Thier springs are really nice and the price is good. The kits don't come with shocks, but if you look at serious offroad they will have everything you need for a great price. Frank, the owner, knows his stuff and can get you pointed in the right direction. He's got amazing customer service and is a vendor on this forum. You will also need other things besides the lift kit such as, HD steering, different gears, and I would look into axle shaft upgrades on 35's
Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

You'll also need a SYE and new driveshaft if you go to 6". There is more to a lift than just slapping one on and calling it a day. The bigger you go the more you're going to spend on upgrades.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta
Why so much lift? I've only had personal experience with skyjacker shocks and I wasn't impressed at all. Personally, for the money, you can get a lot nicer kit. I would look into the Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty long arm kit. Thier springs are really nice and the price is good. The kits don't come with shocks, but if you look at serious offroad they will have everything you need for a great price. Frank, the owner, knows his stuff and can get you pointed in the right direction. He's got amazing customer service and is a vendor on this forum. You will also need other things besides the lift kit such as, HD steering, different gears, and I would look into axle shaft upgrades on 35's
Im thinking 6" so I can fit the 35s. How good is rubicon? Is there other options out there or just rubicon express and skyjacker?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by XJriot
You'll also need a SYE and new driveshaft if you go to 6". There is more to a lift than just slapping one on and calling it a day. The bigger you go the more you're going to spend on upgrades.
I was going to just do the lift, 35s and new steering?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999

Im thinking 6" so I can fit the 35s. How good is rubicon? Is there other options out there or just rubicon express and skyjacker?
Dude if you only think that rubicon express and skyjacker make lift kits for the XJ, you need to keep on reading before you waste all of your money.

I'm not trying to sound like the guy that tells everyone how to spend their money, because by all means if you want to go buy it without researching go right ahead. I'm simply saying research now and you will save yourself a fortune.

You can fit 35s with 4.5" of lift. Hell, you can even fit them with less lift if you want to do more trimming. Either way, you're going to need to trim and bumpstop for 35s.

Your stock steering will become inadequate at 6" of lift, and you might need a longer pitman arm.

You will probably also need a SYE to combat the steeper driveshaft angles.

Will also need extended brake-lines.

Your stock gearing will also be trash and need to be changed out.

Your stock trackbar will need to be replaced as well.

It's not just a lift kit, new tires, and done.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

no need for 6in lift to fit 35s. here is exactly 4in lift with 35s and a little bit of trimming of the fenders.
Attached Thumbnails All stock, looking to lift. Suggestions please!-dsc05569.jpg  
Old 03-29-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by HudsonN
Dude if you only think that rubicon express and skyjacker make lift kits for the XJ, you need to keep on reading before you waste all of your money.

I'm not trying to sound like the guy that tells everyone how to spend their money, because by all means if you want to go buy it without researching go right ahead. I'm simply saying research now and you will save yourself a fortune.

You can fit 35s with 4.5" of lift. Hell, you can even fit them with less lift if you want to do more trimming. Either way, you're going to need to trim and bumpstop for 35s.

Your stock steering will become inadequate at 6" of lift, and you might need a longer pitman arm.

You will probably also need a SYE to combat the steeper driveshaft angles.

Will also need extended brake-lines.

Your stock gearing will also be trash and need to be changed out.

Your stock trackbar will need to be replaced as well.

It's not just a lift kit, new tires, and done.
Im not stuck on those company's. Thats why I posted, to see some recomendations. What lift do you recommend going with?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by XJ-92
no need for 6in lift to fit 35s. here is exactly 4in lift with 35s and a little bit of trimming of the fenders.
Looks good, how much do you rub during flex? How much flex does that clearance allow?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 PM

I was going to just do the lift, 35s and new steering?
you are being unrealistic if you think thats all thats involved for a 6" lift & 35's. if you want your jeep to get out of its own way you will need a gear swap to at least 4.56 & sye, brake line ext. , new driveshafts, etc. etc. people here know whats up w/ this stuff.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Looks good, how much do you rub during flex? How much flex does that clearance allow?
I have about 9in of clearance front and back before the tires hit the fenders, I really dont rub all that much because of proper bumpstopping.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by XJ-92
I have about 9in of clearance front and back before the tires hit the fenders, I really dont rub all that much because of proper bumpstopping.
Cool, thanks for the info!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by srb531
you are being unrealistic if you think thats all thats involved for a 6" lift & 35's. if you want your jeep to get out of its own way you will need a gear swap to at least 4.56 & sye, brake line ext. , new driveshafts, etc. etc. people here know whats up w/ this stuff.
Well, give some pointers then. Gear swap will be later, not looking to win any races by trying to go fast, its a xj......
Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Well, give some pointers then. Gear swap will be later, not looking to win any races by trying to go fast, its a xj......
It ain't speed your gonna lose, its torque; plus its hard on your trany.

I'd recommend changing your tone man! Your coming on here with apparently limited knowledge and everyone's just trying to help you. Do some searching, ask some questions; but don't expect us to do the research for you.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Right, but are you going to be driving on the highway at all? Steel wheels + 35" of rubber makes stock gearing nearly useless, if you are in a manual, don't expect to see 5th gear, and if an auto, I would leave it out of overdrive. Not saying 35's and stock can't be done, I'm sure someone will chime in and say they have, but it is definitely a detriment to drivablility, as well as fuel economy. I'm the city, I'm sure you could manage as long as it is temporary.

If you are installing this lift to use and not just to look pretty, then some other things to consider a priority are armour, good recovery, etc.

Quick Reply: All stock, looking to lift. Suggestions please!