Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alarm goes off when I use the key ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default alarm goes off when I use the key ?

Hey guys not sure if this is the correct thread to post in but its an aftermarket part. The guys I bought it off had installed a viper remote starter/alarm. The only way I can open it is using the remote to lock/unlock but today my battery in the remote died and I had to use the key. I unlocked it but the alarm went off and I put the key in the ignition and it still kept going off, I also tried cranking but nothing. So I had to walk my *** a few miles to go home and get the other remote I was pissed !

Anyway any ideas on how to fix that or maybe even disable the alarm all the way just leave the remote starter to work. This alarm also goes off at random times at night sometimes, like wtf??
Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The alarm going off when using the key is done be design I believe. My dad had a Viper system on his Benz that would do that if you used the key after locking with remote. The rest I'm not sure.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

All after market alarms I have found do that it always drives me crazy. I have not found a way around this yet other than locking the door with the key, but then the alarm is not active.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

ahh, I took it apart today and I have found out its a viper 550 esp system, it has the alarm and remote starter. I also saw a valet switch but it didint do ****. I have found the owners manual about it online I might have to try reprogramming it.

hmm you mentioned that if I lock with the key the alarm wont be on but then I can open it up with the key. If all else fails that's what I will have to do. I actually dislike this alarm crap, I just like the remote starter

I might have my dads friend take a look at it, he works on cars and does everything himself so he might be able to do something, lets hope.

I rather be able to get into the car and drive then have the alarm going of, plus it disables the starter so I cant even start it lol.