Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix
Default Aftermarket cooling?

So I have been looking for a while for a triple fan setup that wouldn't break the bank. I think I found it.

FF Dynamics Extreme TT System

Has anyone heard of them? My thought here is that with the surface area, the CFM may not need to be as high as the clutch fan. Also it has the integrated fan shroud, and nice cages around the fans to protect hands and such.

My Jeep doesn't have an e-fan, and I really want to dispense with the clutch fan. Also, I don't have a shroud for the clutch fan, so this more direct style fan system would help tremendously. As always, thanks for the advice!

Last edited by SirCyber; 11-12-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

1) you'd be far better off finding a shroud for your clutch driven fan

2) that setup, per their own description, only has 3300 cfm total...that's 1100 per fan, and that is not enough

3) that setup may have more coverage than you currently have with no e-fan, but why don't you have an aux fan ?

4) and for that price, I'd be finding me a shroud and an aux fan from a JY
Old 11-13-2017, 02:08 AM
Seasoned Member

1, as stated I want to be rid of the clutch fan. I did that with my first jeep, had a friend help me set up a twin taurus fan setup, only turned both fans on when wheeling. No fans on hwy, and one fan in normal traffic. It's lighter without, gives a minor boost in power, and also I can run two of them to a two stage thermal sensor, and have one on a toggle... Or at least that's what I am thinking right now. Either way you look at it, those fans should be pulling more air directly through the radiator than a clutch fan and aux fan with standard shroud just due to the proximity, right? I know the raw numbers, and not discounting any opinion. Just seeing thoughts is all.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Some people that run those style sets up say their jeep ran hotter after vs stock.He is right on it lacking cfm to cool right and really the stock set up is better then most aftermarket stuff.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Just realized that I didn't answer the other questions... The jeep merely didn't have an aux fan, nor shroud, when I bought it. Andrew, thanks for the input on that from people who have ran it. Do you know any specific situations or conditions?

As I mentioned, I know it's lacking at least 700CFM from just the clutch fan. I'm just getting ideas, and seeing what thoughts are out there. This could also serve for visitors searching and such. With stock style cooling, the clutch pulls around 4kCFM. I don't have numbers for the stock aux fan. I would like to do a CFM drag pull from the front side of the radiator, maybe that's something I can work on to give others input.

For now, keep it coming! Love the chat and seeing what others much more experienced than me have to say
Old 11-13-2017, 03:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Well then, after a bunch more searching, I found someone who actually did what I was suggestion myself to do.

THIS says 2k mech fan 1350 aux fan? Mystery deepens... I'm gonna go and do some independent testing, also to answer everyone's continuing questions for this mystery.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

I like the factory hybrid Mechanical/Electric setup. Might have to override the Electric and stop for a few cool down periods, but one or the other is going to get you back out of the sticks.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

I know you said you wanted to get rid of your clutch fan,.,,,I was politely trying to say that is a bad idea.

I know is my factory aux fan when you put 12v to it out of the jeep moves a heck of a lot of air.........not far off from a taurus fan.

How close the fans are to the radiator does not mean they will cool better.

In fact, they will likely move less air, as they can only draw air thru the radiator within the radius of the fan, if they are off the radiator an inch or so like the factory ones are, they would be able to pull from the area of the shroud, not just the radius of the fan like when they are right against it.

Last edited by TRCM; 11-13-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by TRCM
I know you said you wanted to get rid of your clutch fan,.,,,I was politely trying to say that is a bad idea.

I know is my factory aux fan when you put 12v to it out of the jeep moves a heck of a lot of air.........not far off from a taurus fan.

In fact, they will likely move less air, as they can only draw air thru the radiator within the radius of the fan, if they are off the radiator an inch or so like the factory ones are, they would be able to pull from the area of the shroud, not just the radius of the fan like when they are right against it.

The other problem with a pull fan too close to the rad is that if you hit high water the water can flex the blades into the rad and cut it. Better to have a margin of safety there if possible.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by TRCM

Where I wheel deleting the clutch fan for fully electric is a popular mod when people frequent high water crossings, it's pretty easy to blow out fan clutches or cause other damage from the fan when the water gets high enough. E-fans with an override switch solve that problem entirely.

I can't comment on the set up the OP linked to specifically, though.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the additional input. I don't have info for blowing out clutch fans, but I do go into some (at times) hood deep water.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jedijeb
The other problem with a pull fan too close to the rad is that if you hit high water the water can flex the blades into the rad and cut it. Better to have a margin of safety there if possible.
That is true with any fan, clutch or electric, push or pull.

If it is spinning when you hit water, it can damage the radiator if it is close enough.

I don't like pusher fans for just this reason, I've seen them get pushed into the radiator to the point you couldn't use it.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Only sucking power for me
Old 11-15-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this set up and company they claim there kit will do 5000cfm http://www.ksuspensionlifts.com/stor...an_System.html
Old 11-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by fannitti
I found this set up and company they claim there kit will do 5000cfm http://www.ksuspensionlifts.com/stor...an_System.html
Looks interesting to me... I'm curious what others will think of it.