Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket axle shafts where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, I6
Default aftermarket axle shafts where to start?

so im going to be looking into after market axle shafts for a HP D30 and 29 spline 8.25. although i have no idea what to look for when buying either? what brands? if any brands are better then others? i saw yukon is only 30% stronger then stock? are certain brands more durable then others? any pros or cons per brand?. thanks everyone!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have ran yukon outers in my 44. One came to me with the u joint ears spread too far apart, i called customer service and they told me to bend the ears in with a vice. That advice nearly killed me as a piece of the shaft cracked off and flew across the shop. The other shaft broke in mud 1/4 through a day of wheeling. They wouldnt warranty either.

Ran mosers in my 44 too, they use cut splines and not rolled, that was the weak point on the outer shafts. An inner shaft had a cracked ear from sitting one winter. No warranty

Last set of aftermarket shafts I ran was nitros. Lifetime warranty, good price, and i never broke one. They have survived more miles, more wheeling trips, harder wheeling and larger tires than any of the previous run shafts.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.8

Yukon has arguably the strongest shafts out there. Hands down. Test done and proven.

Nitro has a warranty program that will NOT warranty a bent axle flange, nor a twisted spline. nice huh?

Motive has the Best warranty procedures in the business.

For the rear you will not find a chromoly option for the C8.25. If someone (theres a guy here and on other forums that is clueless on drivetrain) trys to tell you he has AlloyUSA rear chromoly shafts, he is very wrong and just doesnt know.

For front shafts, most all are imported from the same factory's and have no differences other then cost and warranty.

As for Yukon not warranting something. It was either bought used, from a non-authorized dealer, or not a Yukon. Yukon's policy if NO QUESTIONS asked for the first warranty, even if its a Ujoint that kills a axle. But after that, they will question why your breaking axles, when they very seldom if EVER fail. you will find that typ failure rate of axles are about 2% at worst. I will say that out of over 200 sets for the Dana 30 in the USA Standard boxed sets I have sold, I have had ONE inner fail.

Last edited by RWKHausSupply; 10-09-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

My Dutchman worked great but don't think they make what you're looking for. I ran Yukons in a D35 and broke several and they warrantied them every time and even offered to refund my money. I run Yukon in my front D44 now and have broken on stub and twisted the splines on an inner, both replaced no questions asked. I get mine through either completeoffroad.com or randys ring and pinion, randys does the warranty reguardless. The USA Standard I think are made by Yukon and sell a bit cheaper and have the same warranty.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply

As for Yukon not warranting something. It was either bought used, from a non-authorized dealer, or not a Yukon. Yukon's policy if NO QUESTIONS asked for the first warranty, even if its a Ujoint that kills a axle. But after that, they will question why your breaking axles, when they very seldom if EVER fail. you will find that typ failure rate of axles are about 2% at worst. I will say that out of over 200 sets for the Dana 30 in the USA Standard boxed sets I have sold, I have had ONE inner fail.
Both broken shafts were new from a yukon dealer. This was a few years ago, but my experience was enough not to bother with them again.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do a google search for "_________ shaft failures"
You'll find plenty of people that have experienced failures with virtually every brand out there.

I've seen Yukons, AlloyUSA, Superior all fail. It happens.

Don't let anyone tell you their axles are indestructable, bomb-proof, bullet proof, etc.
None of them are People Proof.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Do a google search for "_________ shaft failures"
You'll find plenty of people that have experienced failures with virtually every brand out there.

I've seen Yukons, AlloyUSA, Superior all fail. It happens.

Don't let anyone tell you their axles are indestructable, bomb-proof, bullet proof, etc.
None of them are People Proof.
Exactly.
But some do have better customer service than others. I've seen RCVs break and they are supposed to be the strongest out there. Every axle has it's limits and shafts don't change that much.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

(front) http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-dr...-tj-97-06.html
(rear) http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-dr...le-shafts.html