Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market header question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default After market header question

I have a 99 xj all stock 4.0L. I have a crack in my exhaust header and have been looking for an after market replacement. The problem i'm having is that all of the ones I find say they are either for a 91-98 or 00-01. I can not seem to find one for the 99. I have looked at the header for the 91-98 and it is identical to the one i have on my 99. Any input/help is greatly appreciated.
Also, any suggestions on a good header to buy is appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by jenji32
I have a 99 xj all stock 4.0L. I have a crack in my exhaust header and have been looking for an after market replacement. The problem i'm having is that all of the ones I find say they are either for a 91-98 or 00-01. I can not seem to find one for the 99. I have looked at the header for the 91-98 and it is identical to the one i have on my 99. Any input/help is greatly appreciated.
Also, any suggestions on a good header to buy is appreciated!
Thanks!
You will run into this on the 99. You go to an autoparts store and on some items it doesn't show 99. Check out RockyRoad outfitters. They sell Doug Thorley headers, I bought these 8 years ago and have no troubles. You will love the hp gain and the sound of the exhaust. They are chrome plated stainless steel headers. You can check out ebay also, they sell them pretty cheap I almost went that route but decided on the Thorley's in the end.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 PM

Sorry just went to Rockyroads's website and looked up the headers. Seems they don't sell them anymore for the 97+ Cherokees. Again sorry for the misinformation. I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:10 PM

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17604_102_07.htm Check these out, they say for 91-98 but they are the same for the 99. My 99 headers look exactly like these.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM

That rugged ridge one is the one I was looking at, I just see everywhere that it doesn't say for 99, even though it looks exactly the same. Do you think this one be a good quality one for the price of it?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0
Default exhaust header

maybe jcwhitney? http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacement...1163y1999g80j1
Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM

Decent price. I paid $400 plus for my Thorley
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Year: 1999

I have a 99 and the APN replacement fit just fine.

http://www.ineedparts.com/apn-jeep-e...-manifold.html

do some searches on this as some people have had issues with fitments on later 99's that have been addressed with a little bit of grinding and BFH on the exhaust.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep3200
I have a 99 and the APN replacement fit just fine.

http://www.ineedparts.com/apn-jeep-e...-manifold.html

do some searches on this as some people have had issues with fitments on later 99's that have been addressed with a little bit of grinding and BFH on the exhaust.
Thank You for that info, I also have a Early 99 with a cracked manifold I will be going this route and replacing my cat and catback while I am at it !
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

dont get an ebay header, i bought one and its cracked 6 months down the road.

i am going to buy the doug thorly or the rugged ridge header when i do it again.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate it
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM

I have the ruggid ridge for my 1999 it works great
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

I just got done researching this too since I too have the typical crack by the collector and holes in everything else all the way out the back - I found that people with 99s seem to have the best luck with the APN, according to the posts I read on here and other forums. I've seen a few that were built in late 99, like after 6/99 or so that had to grind a little to get them to fit but they still worked after minor grinding. I just ordered an APN header, walker front pipe and Magnaflow cat+catback for mine. Getting the header installed next week so I'll post back on here how it worked out once I get it all on. My XJ was made in 5/99. I got my APN on amazon, but it was shipped from Ineedparts.com and the price is the same either place. Now that I have it and can feel it's weight and see the welds and pipes, etc. the APN header looks like a solid, quality part - particularly when comparing to a stock design.

oh, and BEWARE: if you're looking on Amazon, don't fall for the ATP scam. I tried ordering one of those since they they "look" the same and shipped to me for free instead of the $20 shipping for the APN. What came in the box was a stock, mild steel manifold with flex bellows and the crappiest welds I've ever seen - it looked like it was ready to crack before I even got it unwrapped. I sent it back and got the APN which is quite obviously superior. The listing for the "ATP" has the same text and image as the APN but it is definitely NOT the same thing. They look nothing alike!!!

Last edited by Potatowalker; 01-14-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Potatowalker
I just got done researching this too since I too have the typical crack by the collector and holes in everything else all the way out the back - I found that people with 99s seem to have the best luck with the APN, according to the posts I read on here and other forums. I've seen a few that were built in late 99, like after 6/99 or so that had to grind a little to get them to fit but they still worked after minor grinding. I just ordered an APN header, walker front pipe and Magnaflow cat+catback for mine. Getting the header installed next week so I'll post back on here how it worked out once I get it all on. My XJ was made in 5/99. I got my APN on amazon, but it was shipped from Ineedparts.com and the price is the same either place. Now that I have it and can feel it's weight and see the welds and pipes, etc. the APN header looks like a solid, quality part - particularly when comparing to a stock design.

oh, and BEWARE: if you're looking on Amazon, don't fall for the ATP scam. I tried ordering one of those since they they "look" the same and shipped to me for free instead of the $20 shipping for the APN. What came in the box was a stock, mild steel manifold with flex bellows and the crappiest welds I've ever seen - it looked like it was ready to crack before I even got it unwrapped. I sent it back and got the APN which is quite obviously superior. The listing for the "ATP" has the same text and image as the APN but it is definitely NOT the same thing. They look nothing alike!!!
How much did you spend total on your piecing together of your complete exhaust if you don't mind me asking?

I can clearly see a crack on my '99 header right at the collector. Plus my down pipe also has the dent in it. I'm thinking I may just do the entire exhuast like you once I pull the trigger.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by CADWELL
How much did you spend total on your piecing together of your complete exhaust if you don't mind me asking?

I can clearly see a crack on my '99 header right at the collector. Plus my down pipe also has the dent in it. I'm thinking I may just do the entire exhuast like you once I pull the trigger.

150ish for the APN header, 60ish for the walker down pipe, 130ish for the magnaflow direct-fit high flow cat, 430ish for the magnaflow cat-back kit. Probably coulda done it a bit cheaper, but wanted to be able to just band clamp it all together to facilitate future mods, like adding a bit of flex-pipe in front of the cat or switching mufflers. Install will require no welding as it all came with hangars already attached. All stainless except for the walker front pipe. They were having a 20% off sale (with discount code) on the magnaflow catback kit on performance-curve.com at the time. Don't know if they still are or not. I also got 2 new Bosch O2 sensors on amazon for about 60 bucks total. I was just gonna start with the converter-back stuff, but then I found a crack in my stock header just above the collector so I just decided to do it all at once since it was one of those rare times I had enough extra cash to do it. Now I'm the happy-kind-of-broke!

Quick Reply: After market header question