Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjustable trackbar questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 605 Likes on 515 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default adjustable trackbar questions

after installing 2" front lift springs, my front axle is offset ~1" to the DS..so my DS tyre sticks out about 1" from the flare, the PS is flush with the flare

When I disconnected the trackbar to help get the springs in, the trackbar bush displaced about 1" to the DS

I thought of drilling new holes in the trackbar mount, but did not, as I didnt wish to weaken it, instead winching the axle back across, and connecting the trackbar...this was very tight.
Did not alter steering wheel position

Now of course , I cannot do a proper wheel alignment

To correct this, I am thinking to fit an adjustable trackbar, and shift the axle towards the PS by about ~1/2", which should equalize the axle to both sides of the vehicle

My basic question, just to clarify...by lengthening the trackbar, it will force the axle away from its fixed mount (on the DS)..towards the PS (where the bolt is located)?

my vehicle is RHD, hence the refs to DS and PS
Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by awg
.by lengthening the trackbar, it will force the axle away from its fixed mount (on the DS)..towards the PS (where the bolt is located)?
I wouldn't say it would force the axle away from the fixed mount. Currently, the axle is being forced closer to the fixed mount because the trackbar is too short and is pulling the axle towards the DS against the restoring forces of the control arm bushings.

Technicalities aside, yes, you need a longer trackbar. my Iron Rock Offroad bar has served me well for years but there are many other great options out there.