Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Adjustable Arms

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

has anyone had any kind of experience with these? they seem reasonably priced and they have the bend. Im planning on running adjustable LCA's and UCA's on my 4" lift, is it worth it? i dont plan on going any higher in the future either. will i get any benefit running these over stocks?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0 L

Are you planning on ever going any higher? Because if you are, then I'd wait and put that money towards long arms. I'm not sure what is supposed to be linked because it just shows iro home Page, but adjustable uppers and lowers are pretty expensive and you could just wait and get long arms if you decide to go higher
Old 08-05-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only reason I just purchased adjustable uppers and lowers was because I found both pairs for the price of one, used of course. Like the post above though, I'd save for long arms
Old 08-06-2012, 12:06 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L straight 6

i have seen adjustale control arms snap causing the drive shaft to snap and airbags go off due to lack of strengh in the control arms. but i have IRO long arm kit and their products are beefy! so im sure this is no exception. but if you save up for long arms it is deffinatlty worth it!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tonka toy 72
i have seen adjustale control arms snap causing the drive shaft to snap and airbags go off due to lack of strengh in the control arms. but i have IRO long arm kit and their products are beefy! so im sure this is no exception. but if you save up for long arms it is deffinatlty worth it!!!
Mustve been some pretty poor quality control arms. To say adjustable controm arms snap and cause all that carnage is a pretty unfair generalization. For the airbag to go off there must have been some significant speed involved.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:44 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

yeah, i would think the mounts would rip off before an arm would snap, unless they were just that horribly made.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L straight 6

yeah idk whos arms they were, but it was a buddy of mine and he had the adjusted to the highest setting and they snapped at the threaded part of the arms. and he wheels it pretty hard
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

idk why it wont let me link to them but yah im def going with the adjustables. $320 for uppers and lowers isnt bad at all, and it gives me something to work with if i decide to change anything ever.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

yeah idk whos arms they were, but it was a buddy of mine and he had the adjusted to the highest setting and they snapped at the threaded part of the arms. and he wheels it pretty hard
Driving with them adjusted "all the way out" isn't the best idea either...
Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Nperryman
Are you planning on ever going any higher?
no im not going to ever go any higher than 4". i feel like the difference between the adj arms and long arms would be negligible at that height...and long arms are expensive as hell and im a poor college kid. i try to blow my money wisely
Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Quite a coincidence - I just ordered and received a full set of adjustable LCAs and UCAs from Iron Rock. At $319, it seemed like a great deal compared to $319 from Currie for just the LCAs.

Quality seems to be very good. I could not find any defects upon inspection. The LCAs are very heavy duty compared to the fixed RE LCAs I had previously - they look and feel massive! The UCAs look very nice as well...

Now for the logic behind this -

At 4.5" lift, the front axles gets closer to the rear part of the wheel well and the geometry of the LCAs affects drive-ability - the arms point down and part of the shock impact goes into the frame (instead of up to the suspension, if the arms were parallel to the road, as in stock).

I found I was getting a pretty harsh ride at every bump in the road and had to install 3 items -
1. LCA drop bracket kit - to bring the LCAs back to a level position and improve ride quality.
2. Adjustable LCAs - to push the axle forward to the center of the wheel well - fully adjustable.
3. Adjustable UCAs - to tilt the axle back to the recommended 6 degrees and in line with the front drive shaft.
It's a choice, and you might elect to keep the geometry as it is. I found the ride quality on highway and on minor bumps to be unacceptable and wanted to change that.

Originally Posted by War Eagle
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

has anyone had any kind of experience with these? they seem reasonably priced and they have the bend. Im planning on running adjustable LCA's and UCA's on my 4" lift, is it worth it? i dont plan on going any higher in the future either. will i get any benefit running these over stocks?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

alright cool beans man! im going to order them and just skip the drop brackets to keep my ground clearance good tho.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

how was the install as far as pushing the axle back to where it should be?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

First time I've EVER heard of this...been jeeping for over 10 years...sounds like a scare tactic to me...just sayin.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by War Eagle
how was the install as far as pushing the axle back to where it should be?
I just helped AoA do his last Saturday. It was really easy!

Quick Reply: Adjustable Arms