Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add-A-Leaf Only ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Add-A-Leaf Only ?

Hey guys, second post here. Modified suspension question. Read a million other posts and got a lot of other good info, but have a question I haven't seen yet.

My (new to me) Jeep is a 1999 Cherokee, 4.0, auto trans, 4x4, 4-door. Pretty much all stock now, except for the upgraded wheels with 225/75/r16 tires.

I've done a lot of stuff already, but while doing prep work to install the rear trailer hitch, I had such an impossible time removing the 2 exhaust hanger bolts screwed into the corroded original nut-strip. I had to take it to a shop that had to use two people on a 3 foot breaker bar to get them out. And that was after PB-Blasting the bolts every day for a week. Anyways, when it came time to replace the shocks, I decided to give this job to a professional.

I use this primarily as a beach buggy, and when it is loaded up with people, coolers, & gear, the rear leaf springs sag so much that it the bumps stops nearly rest on the axle. I brought it to a local shop who specialized in installing off-road mods and kits and told them my issue, and they said the leaf-springs are OK (slight bit of surface rust, etc.) and recommended an add-a-leaf, along with the four new shocks, saying all new leaf-springs would be overkill for somebody who just wants to drive the beach with the family.

Question: Will that solve my issue, or will adding the add-a-leaf raise the rear and make it look like a hot-rod? I measured the ground-to-body panel distance and it sits at 17 inches at each wheel right now. I don't want to raise the rear, just stiffen it to prevent so much sag when loaded. Are add-a-leafs gonna stop the sag, or will they jack up the rear noticeably?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

The add a leaf will raise the rear and give you a stiff ride. Just replace the stock leaf springs with new HD factory replacements. They are about $100 a piece on amazon.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to mess with the factory bolts if they are frozen....get a extra set of stock leafs & cut the eyes off the main leaf & add them to your pack, that will ride better than any add a leaf set up....I have used Cherokee and s10 leafs multiple times to build leaf packs with no problems...
Old 07-21-2015, 08:41 AM

The factory bolts had blue loc-tite on them. Guess that is what made it such a pain. Odd thing is that the original bolts were so clean that they went into the new nut strip no problem, hand-screwing them until the bolt head hit the exhaust hanger. Weird.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your rear springs are already saggy then adding an AAL will give you a temporary fix until they begin to sag again. I would just replace the entire spring with an HD spring as mentioned above. No point in adding AAL and a few years down the road having to replace them with full packs.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Fix it right or fix it twice
Old 07-21-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Default Add-A-Leaf Only ?

Monroe and/or Gabriel make coil overload shocks that would likely work well in your application. We used them on a Ranger here at work that hauls a lot of equipment and made a significant difference for little cost. If it were me I would go that route first for ~$100.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just replace the leafs or do a small 3" lift using full leafs/coils like a Rustys kit $438 complete with shocks and hardware.

If the leafs are worn like that so are the coils.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. This is a learning experiment for me. I'll get the add a leaf, four shocks, and bump stops installed. Then I'll load up full of gear, hit the beach, and let you know how it goes. If any issues arise, I can modify from there. One of the main reasons for me bringing the Cherokee to a shop was to let them deal with suspension bolts that have not been touched since 1999 (my nut strip job was a nightmare). When I get it back, the bolts will have recently been removed/reinstalled and much easier for me to work on in my garage.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by NCJeepers
Thanks for the replies. This is a learning experiment for me. I'll get the add a leaf, four shocks, and bump stops installed. Then I'll load up full of gear, hit the beach, and let you know how it goes. If any issues arise, I can modify from there. One of the main reasons for me bringing the Cherokee to a shop was to let them deal with suspension bolts that have not been touched since 1999 (my nut strip job was a nightmare). When I get it back, the bolts will have recently been removed/reinstalled and much easier for me to work on in my garage.
Instead of wasting money on AALs. Do yourself a.favor and at least do an XJ bastard pack. At least you'll have the same spring rate. The AAL still frown. Mines did until I went AAL bastard pack. Use an XJ main or S10 main eye cut down and add under your main leaf. Do that with the shocks. Plus people are always parting vehicles out or you can always hit a.JY up
Old 07-21-2015, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

I've done both on a Cherokee and I vote bastard pack. And you can use any spring from any vehicle as long as its 2.5 inches wide. But remember springs bend at different rates than others. So you can get a softer spring or a stiffer spring. Some people run a fiberglass spring only from old ford vans. Very flexible and perfect stiffness for a Cherokee. Just watch the rock rash.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Gatchmo5710
I've done both on a Cherokee and I vote bastard pack. And you can use any spring from any vehicle as long as its 2.5 inches wide. But remember springs bend at different rates than others. So you can get a softer spring or a stiffer spring. Some people run a fiberglass spring only from old ford vans. Very flexible and perfect stiffness for a Cherokee. Just watch the rock rash.
Lol that's why I said XJ or S10. Durango would help for extra weight but not sure during regular driving how it be.

Either way. Take it from me OP, don't do the AAL. Save you money. Go Bastard. I'm saving to do a RE 3.5" leafs to ditch my AAL bastard pack and it stiff ways
Old 07-22-2015, 09:31 PM

Got my Cherokee back today. As stated, I farmed this job out b/c i learned my lesson with seized bolts on the nut strip. Anyways, they installed four new Rough Country 2.0 shocks and the add-a-leaf (I know, I know), plus flushed the brake fluid while it was there for a few bucks more.

Pre-upgrades, I measured the distance between the frame and the ground (measured behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels) and they all came in at 17 inches (with an empty vehicle). Post upgrade, the fronts are now at 18" and rear at 20". We agreed to wait 2-3 weeks to let the AAL settle, then come back to see what size spring spacers I might need to balance it out, if I need anything at all. Again, my main goal was to stiffen up the rear end and try to bring it back to stock height, but adding an inch is OK.

The new leaf spring clamps are positioned a little differently than before. Hope that is OK.

I promptly came home, loaded up 3 dogs totaling 250 lbs, plus other gear, and hit the beach to test it out. It rode great on pavement and was very quiet. The old shocks were SHOT and thus made the tires create a lot of road noise. Now everything is eerily silent. Ride was smooth and none of my dogs got banged up or anything in the back, even in the choppy ruts I drove in (which is great b/c they are old dogs). I have to say thus far I am pleased, but hope the rear end quickly settles to a steady state to get rid of the Hot-Rod look. If not, that is OK, I'll go back and get the spacers for the front.

Between 30-40 mph, somewhere in the Jeep (drivetrain maybe?) made a very low frequency hum.

They guy at the shop said that 255/70R16 AT tires should fit with no rubbing. It may be time! Too bad the PO had installed new 225/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler ST tires. I am having a hard time justifying replacing them b/c they ride great, and at 22 PSI they are a beast in the sand. But they look whimpy, especially now with the lift. :-)

These look pretty sweet.
Amazon.com: Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 Off-Road Tire - 255/70R16 109T: Automotive Amazon.com: Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 Off-Road Tire - 255/70R16 109T: Automotive

Last edited by NCJeepers; 07-22-2015 at 09:35 PM.