Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add A Leaf.... but the other way

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Add A Leaf.... but the other way

So i have a rough junk 4.5" leaf and some larger shackles and a relocation bracket with a good angle. my problem is that the spring itself is so stiff that i cant tuck the tire all the way even with no shocks installed. What i want to do is remove the bottom leaf (the smallest and straightest in the pack.) I know its not the safest thing but i'm okay with that. Has anyone done this before?
Yes, i know that this will make me lose lift and i'm okay with that i actually need the rear to come down.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

You can do a number of things with leaf springs. Here is a pic of what I run.

It is very flexy. The idea is to support the center of the spring, in this case with the bottom leaf inverted so it does not bend the center of the spring too far. I have since added a keeper to keep that third leaf aligned
Old 08-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
You can do a number of things with leaf springs. Here is a pic of what I run.

It is very flexy. The idea is to support the center of the spring, in this case with the bottom leaf inverted so it does not bend the center of the spring too far. I have since added a keeper to keep that third leaf aligned
Nice. How's the process of opening the leaf pack? I didnt find too much in the aspect of removing a leaf via internet search.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Once you remove the U bolts, there are two things that hold the pack together. The center bolt, which I have left long on purpose so I can tune my suspension in about an hour. The other is the spring clips. Those you either pry apart or unbolt, depending on design
Old 08-19-2018, 06:12 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 603 Likes on 513 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by joemomma22
Nice. How's the process of opening the leaf pack? I didnt find too much in the aspect of removing a leaf via internet search.
clamp the spring with strong C-clamp/s prior to undo centre bolt and pry of keepers

Old 08-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Once you remove the U bolts, there are two things that hold the pack together. The center bolt, which I have left long on purpose so I can tune my suspension in about an hour. The other is the spring clips. Those you either pry apart or unbolt, depending on design
Originally Posted by awg
clamp the spring with strong C-clamp/s prior to undo centre bolt and pry of keepers
I only plan on taking the very bottom leaf out, its not contained by the spring clips, so i guess i only need to worry about the center bolt. Everything i've seen says cut the center bolt and install a new one? These leaf packs are less than a year old is that really necessary? how else would i get it out?
Old 08-20-2018, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Yes, use a new one and make sure it is a real center bolt. They are a soft alloy and can take flexing
Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by joemomma22
I only plan on taking the very bottom leaf out, its not contained by the spring clips, so i guess i only need to worry about the center bolt. Everything i've seen says cut the center bolt and install a new one? These leaf packs are less than a year old is that really necessary? how else would i get it out?

They are just like a regular bolt in that they have a head and a nut on them....just take it apart. May need to use vice grip on the head tho, as they usually are round.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Yes, use a new one and make sure it is a real center bolt. They are a soft alloy and can take flexing
Originally Posted by TRCM
They are just like a regular bolt in that they have a head and a nut on them....just take it apart. May need to use vice grip on the head tho, as they usually are round.
Thanks guys. last question, where do i get a real center bolt replacement? any old auto parts store/website? I'd imagine a stock bolt wouldnt suffice being the spring is bigger...

Last edited by joemomma22; 08-20-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

You can get them at a good parts store like NAPA. Went to an Auto Zone once and they didn't even know what they were let alone have one
Old 08-28-2018, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 244 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Peddles

Offroad design zero rate ada leafs.
go to junkyard find and 2" wide spring packs. Build a basterd pack to your liking and height
Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by EvanM
Offroad design zero rate ada leafs.
go to junkyard find and 2" wide spring packs. Build a basterd pack to your liking and height
im assuming you didnt read the post based on your first sentence but i could be mistaken. If you read you'll see that the add a leaf comment is merely a pun. I'm actually removing a leaf.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Doesnt really matter to me if you take out 3 and put two back.

the offroad designed zero rate ad a leads are designed so you can tune ride height with out changing spring rates.
you could also accomplish the same thing by cutting thick bottom leaves to a short length. That's kinda what flipping the thick bottom leaf over does. It moves it away from the spring pack but is close enough to support the pack under compression.
my jeep carrys a a full set of tools 5gallons of water shovel 1/2" impact, high lift. And that's before loading up camping gear. Ounce loaded for hilt for a few days on mtn see eas sagging bad
I spent a day cutting leafs and running my springs till they did what I want.
the tools I carry seems to be growing partly because on my day job I work out of a pickup set up to where I can do most any repair on most anything anywhere. My jeep is starting to follow that path.
I used to carry just what I thought were essential tools but have been learning that that one tool you leave behind is the most important one you need.

look into fabbing or buying the leafs to make happen what you want. Might take some trail and error and busted knuckles to figure it out.

good luck

ohhh deaver , old man emu, dakota factory,
having the 4.5" pack dearched then maybe longer shackles,
the sky is the limit, I've been thinking about welding on a taller spring pad and tuning old man emu springs to my liking
sorry I think I said 2" wide springs in my first reply. 2.5" is what they are.

I'd like to fab pass like this but to my desired ride height.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/D3035-PERCH.html

Last edited by EvanM; 08-29-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by EvanM
Doesnt really matter to me if you take out 3 and put two back.

the offroad designed zero rate ad a leads are designed so you can tune ride height with out changing spring rates.
you could also accomplish the same thing by cutting thick bottom leaves to a short length. That's kinda what flipping the thick bottom leaf over does. It moves it away from the spring pack but is close enough to support the pack under compression.
my jeep carrys a a full set of tools 5gallons of water shovel 1/2" impact, high lift. And that's before loading up camping gear. Ounce loaded for hilt for a few days on mtn see eas sagging bad
I spent a day cutting leafs and running my springs till they did what I want.
the tools I carry seems to be growing partly because on my day job I work out of a pickup set up to where I can do most any repair on most anything anywhere. My jeep is starting to follow that path.
I used to carry just what I thought were essential tools but have been learning that that one tool you leave behind is the most important one you need.

look into fabbing or buying the leafs to make happen what you want. Might take some trail and error and busted knuckles to figure it out.

good luck

ohhh deaver , old man emu, dakota factory,
having the 4.5" pack dearched then maybe longer shackles,
the sky is the limit, I've been thinking about welding on a taller spring pad and tuning old man emu springs to my liking
sorry I think I said 2" wide springs in my first reply. 2.5" is what they are.

I'd like to fab pass like this but to my desired ride height.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...035-PERCH.html
Gotcha. then yes i just totally misunderstood you the first time.

Unfortunately i have a new issue that is preventing me from tackling my leaf project. The dreaded uniframe crack by the steering box. I already fixed and plated one location and it ended up cracking in another location.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

Is it all rusty

my jeep is rust free. I bought a parts jeep and it's so rusty it falls apart if you look at it wrong

good luck on the fix. If up can mock of some cardboard templates in foot long sections and then have the welding shop cut them out and keep on playing the frame.

Quick Reply: Add A Leaf.... but the other way